Fallacies about Faith

by tec 340 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
  • adamah
    adamah

Cofty, yeah, I ran across that in a blog article about some of the sheer madness of right-wing Xian taliban that's active in the US:

http://rolltodisbelieve.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/taking-it-back/

Take your blood pressure pills before reading, LOL!

Adam

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My head is spinning. I have no clue what the point was. Tammy, just talk to us as though we were in the same room with you. After reading that, I wonder if you believe anything. The resurrected part was creepy.

Believe what you believe. I think you need to address fundamentals such as the type of God you believe in; whether the Bible is inerrant;

How about Interview with an Apostate? Perhaps that forum will work better.

• tec
    tec

"There are atheists, agnostics, people of other beliefs/faiths/religion - who may enter the kingdom as subjects of the kingdom, based on their deeds (as recorded in their books at the second resurrection), and according to the parable of the sheep and the goats (doing good to Christ by doing good to even the least of his brothers as the sheep; and the reverse as the goats). I mean obviously, they are no longer atheists or agnostics or people of other faiths at this time, lol. But perhaps just did not know Christ in their lives (for whatever reason)." - tec

This is a huge assumption. How on earth did you came up with this? Where is the evidence for such a claim?

Assuming you want evidence that you can SEE.... in regard to what is taught by Christ on this matter as written... those things are backed up in these places:

Matt 25:31-46 (parable of the sheep and goats) shows those who have done good to the least of His brothers being invited into the Kingdom.

Revelation 20:12,13 shows the dead who have been resurrected (after the thousand years) being judged according to what they did as recorded in their books.

Matthew 7:2 speaks about being judged in the same way you judge others.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

These can't all be Christians because when Christ returns, He gathers all who belong to Him, in the first resurrection (also written about in REvelation 20) including those who were alive at his coming, and those who had died.

Let's assume that you are correct, but I what nothing to do with your deity. Can I refuse the offer?

I don't see why not. (Or why you would want to, mind you, except that you currently believe false things about Him)

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

what God you believe in; whether the Bible is inerrant;

My faith is in the God and Father of Christ. God... Jahveh... the Most Holy One of Israel.

Christ is the LIVING Truth and Image and Word of God.

Want to see God? Look at Christ.

Want to know God? Know Christ.

The bible is not inerrant. The bible is not one book, but rather a collection of books, some scripture, some testimonies, some poetry, some parables, some history, some letters to the early disciples/Christians... all pointing to Christ as the Truth, and the One we are to listen TO.

I'll answer any other questions that you have if you ask them.

How about Interview with an Apostate? Perhaps that forum will work better.

Because contrary to what some believe, i do not want threads to be about me.

That forum won't work well for me either, as I did not end up getting baptized. I also have no particular desire to give some people an even more personal platform for insult or ridicule of me, either on the forum or behind the scenes with one another. That being said, I do love the interviews that have been put up. I think doing them, and creating that template, is a great idea for jwn, and for support and bonding between members.

Unfortunately, this particular thread is not going in the direction that I had hoped, lol. I am actually really sorry to anyone who had thought it would be a good thread. Someone else, if interested, might need to start one of their own.

Peace to you,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

That forum won't work well for me either, as I did not end up getting baptized.

That's right you once told us you "think too much" to have ever been a JW. Ironic isn't it?

• tec
    tec

As usual, you twist my words... and you always leave out the fact that you were accusing me of NOT thinking, or something along those lines, as a believer. It was a long time ago. I don't remember the exact accusation you were delivering at the time. But thank you for proving my point about one reason why I don't want to participate in that.

Peace,

tammy

(Also, thanks for re-posting the vid, OTWO... it is the one I was meaning, and his beliefs about theists' beliefs some of those I wanted to address)

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I do think the believer/non believer threads are useful. Many leaving the JWs may be undecided whether they believe in God, and who can blame them for being turned off by religion and the idea of God? I know I was. Maybe some feel free, for the first time, to consider whether God exists. Maybe they are looking to reconfirm belief in God. But I think you may not be the best one to lead those discussions on the believers side Tammy. I fully support your right to express your beliefs, but you seem to be a red flag to the Athiests. For whatever reason, they cannot just ignore your threads, but feel compelled to heap on the ridicule, sarcasm and hostility. I do not feel these exchanges are doing a lot for either side, frankly. It's like they think the rest of us can't see for ourselves who has the better argument.

As they have pointed out, about a hundred times or so, your beliefs really cannot be debated in any useful way, as they seem to be based on your own internal experience. If someone says they hear God, well, who am I to say you don't? I differ from the others in that I don't really care what other people believe (except if they try to force it upon me, then I get cranky), or even if you express that belief to others. So more power to you if it works for you. At least you are nice about it, which is more than can be said of some.

I am not a believer myself, so most of the time I just skip over your threads (no offence), it just doesn't seem worth the time. On the other hand, you could just ignore the inevitable put downs that follow. It seems like we are going over the same issues over and over. Perhaps if the flames die down a bit we can all have more useful debates.

• Comatose
    Comatose

My parents believe faith is what lets you ignore science, history, logic, and news articles. I was taught when I was growing up that it's nice when science agrees with the bible, and it's great if historians find evidence to back up the bible, but we believe the bible with all finality. If ever science or history disagree with the bible we will believe the bible only. Faith is what will enable us to do what seems to be stupid or what seems to be suicide. Faith is everything. I was taught that from a very young age over thirty years ago. I was taught that people would probably take me from my parents but angels would be with me even though I couldn't see them. Faith means being able to ignore evidence. It was inculcated in me from the time I was born. Maybe why almost a year into this awakening I'm still f'd up...

Not sure how this relates to the discussion, but that's what faith is for my parents and their generation of JWs.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I have to agree with BOTR here. What the hell is the point of this thread?? Some theists believe some atheists think some theists think thus and such about some atheists.

Foolishness.

Theists go worship your god/gods and leave the rest of us alone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit