Children

by d 12 Replies latest social family

• d
    d

I understand biology and the need to have children in terms carrying on genes but the social pressure to have children needs to stop.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Well, if you give people something to admire you for, some big accomplishment or mission that you're devoted to, no one will care if you have kids. What they're really saying is, "What are you doing with your life?" So you need to have an alternate answer that you can provide to them. Most people's lives revolve around raising their kids, so naturally people wonder what you're doing with your time if you're not doing that.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Mennonites, Amish - Unfortunately, I lived in a community. There are about seven last names. They had to send for consultations with worldly experts - Harvard, etc. b/c the birth defects soared. Special facilities were established. The children having children precludes higher education. People laughed at my vocabulary and my references to popular books. I grew up in northern NJ. The culture is so different. Sophistication and the fine arts are viewed as evil. B/c PA built an Interstate from Philadelphia, many people from Philadelphia and the mainline moved in b/c of the cheaper land. I would keep myself under control most of the time. It was funny b/c I would be in a store and someone from Philadelphia would just explode about the lack of culture.

I never heard what the church recommended to stop the in breeding. Older children playing parent to younger children annoys me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit