Surrounded - Yet All Alone at the same Time

by offgrid5150 41 Replies latest jw friends

• offgrid5150
    offgrid5150

I've been lurking for a while,but figured I'd introduce myself. I was born in, and I'm 30 years old. It's hard to just read as a guest, and not share with anyone eventually. I'm 100% awake to the facts, JWs are a cult, founded by a Mason, and JW are not Cristians at all, but I'm surrounded :)

Wife, Parents/In-Laws., etc. Been married for 4 years. I moved far from home to serve where the need was great, and that's when I things finally clicked. I had that "Screw it" moment, started doing evil internet research where i fully identified "apostate" really means anyone questioning anything, and all of the other double speak/ Steve Hassan Stuff.

I am active at the hall, and even though I've given the wife slight hints that not all is well, I'm surrounded by loved ones in Mind Control. This will be a long journey to wake family up and somehow fade. No clue how I will do this, but figured id check in for some support :)

• karter
    karter

Welcome..you have made the 1st step to a new life.

Look foward to hearing more from you.

Karter.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Welcome!

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Welcome to the board.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
  • AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hi there!

This will be a long journey to wake family up and somehow fade. No clue how I will do this, but figured id check in for some support :)

Be smart, be vulnerable, be patient. This place will have its theological arguments from time to time, but one thing most of us KNOW is that JW's are a cult, and that leaving is not easy. On that score, you can count on great support and advice from a variety of people from different backgrounds who used to be JW's.

Best of luck to you. Remember, be patient, this will be a process.

• offgrid5150
    offgrid5150

Thanks everyone, and ATJ. You're right. It's literally like being unjacked from the matrix. I grew up in the Bethel area, and congregation was always surrounded by Bethelites, and always have tried to be the "exemplary" one. Feels like half my life is wasted. Atleast I have zero guilt for just getting by now :) Really stinks to see the wife give 70 hours of our precious time each month, and always tired/exhausted... all for nothing. I've been practicing much patience, and will need to continue to develop this.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I love the Matrix analogy on so many levels. I think I may watch that movie today.

Waking up is hard to do, accepting that there really is a whole other world of reality is difficult. That is what takes time, and figuring your place in it. It's not just about waking up your family, its about rehabbing you as well.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I am active at the hall, and even though I've given the wife slight hints that not all is well, I'm surrounded by loved ones in Mind Control. This will be a long journey to wake family up and somehow fade. No clue how I will do this, but figured id check in for some support

The constant advice here is to proceed slowly. I was deeply sincere and looking for help finding the answers to my doubts when I expressed my turmoil to my wife. She too is a born-in and has years of study and experience in The Truth. Originally she didn't want to hear it. So I shut up until she asked more about what was wrong. Eventually, my issues resonated with her. She had no answers either. However, she had been much better about ignoring many of the things that came down the pipeline from the Org. But the treatment (or lack of) that we've received from our dear friends and spiritual brothers has been an eye-opening experience.

We went from me being prominent elder with regular assignments on CA/DC etc to irregular publishers & irregular attenders, then to inactive and absent. Never DFd or DAd. Guess what? Beyond a text asking for our "Hours" at the end of the month several times, no contact. (I almost feel bad about that, but I realize it really is better than being hounded.) A few closer friends called and dropped by on a few occasions, but they're now absent as well. That, among other things, has helped us both see that all the "love" is fake. With most of our families still "in" we still keep informed and on the fringe by making a few appearances here and there, but we both clearly see TTATT.

There is hope. This is a great source of information and advice based on those who have already walked down the path you are on.

Good luck.

Doc

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

Welcome! It's good that you've been doing some reading and educating yourself!

Peace

Kool Jo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit