JW morale reaching new low

by kneehighmiah 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

skeeter1 - "The issue is that the masses are losing faith in the Governing Body. After all, the GB has said it was the direct channell of Jehovah God and demanded absolute allegiance to it through a followers often big and little life choices. The GB always spoke the Truth. But, like a patient wary of a doctor who continuously changed his diagnosis, the rank and file are becoming wary of the GB as holding the absolute Truth that must be obeyed."

I've sometimes thought this, too.

If it's true, however, I'd say it was more on a subconscious level than not (for now, anyway).

skeeter1 - "The Governing Body is losing control. What will it do next? Some religions, to keep the masses (and money) have to become more lenient and mainstream. The Catholics are a prime example. Others (cults), accepted the loss of many followers but continued onwards with keeping their narrow, strict interpretation."

I've long since given up hope for progressive reform on the part of the WTS; they've painted themselves far too tightly into an ideological corner.

A fundamental characteristic of authentically mainstream churches is the honest acknowledgment of their own fallibility, and that no single faith has exclusive claim to Truth; therefore if one decides to leave a particular denomination, no harm, no foul. However, the WTS isn't the most pleasant religious environment for most people (for quite a number of reasons), so if they don't have exclusive claim to Truth, what benefit is there for people to voluntarily stay?

They're more likely to go the other direction (not the least of which because, by all indication, the GB are full-on True Believers and fully committed to their cause), even if the ultimate result is steadily increased marginilization, extremism, and all-around weirdness. This, of course, can't help but compel more and more regular members to leave as they get increasingly freaked out by the direction the WTS is taking.

Either way, the end result would be a significant decline in membership (and thusly revenue flow), with the WTS ending up a wispy shadow of its former self.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit