JW's Unanswerable Question & Why Doesn't Everyone Take Them to Task For This?

by Perry 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• designs
    designs

So for you believers where does the new covenant exist.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Can you show me even ONE New Testament scripture that shows how a person can get their sins forgiven while outside of the New Covenant? No, I can't.

But the 'holy spirit directed GB' is doing snake oil galore on that subject:

BENEFICIARIES OF THE NEW COVENANT
    Upon learning that the 144,000 are in the new covenant, some may have thought that only these benefit from it. Perhaps they thought so because only anointed ones are to partake of the emblems at the annual Memorial of Christ’s death, where the wine represents the “blood of the covenant.” (Mark 14:24) Recall, though, that those in the new covenant are to be associates with Jesus as the “seed” of Abraham, by means of which all nations will be blessed. (Gal. 3:8, 9, 29; Gen. 12:3) Somehow, through the new covenant, Jehovah will fulfill his promise to bless all mankind through Abraham’s “seed.” (...) What happens to the sins of those whom God favors? As noted earlier, Jehovah said through Jeremiah: “I shall forgive their error, and their sin I shall remember no more.” (Jer. 31:34) God does this for the anointed on the basis of Jesus’ sacrifice. In a similar way, God can forgive the sins of the great crowd on the basis of the same “blood of the covenant.” Jeremiah’s saying that God would “remember” sins no more does not imply that He would have a memory lapse and simply not be able to recall the sins. Rather, it indicates that once Jehovah has administered any needed discipline and forgiven a repentant sinner, God throws that past sin behind Him. Think of the sins King David committed involving Bath-sheba and Uriah. David received discipline and felt the consequences of his sins. (2 Sam. 11:4, 15, 27; 12:9-14; Isa. 38:17) Yet, God did not keep holding David accountable for those sins. (Read 2 Chronicles 7:17, 18.) As indicated in the new covenant, once Jehovah has forgiven sins, based on Jesus’ sacrifice, He remembers them no more.—Ezek. 18:21, 22. (...) Accordingly, the new covenant highlights a wonderful aspect of Jehovah’s dealings with sinful humans, both the anointed, who are in the covenant, and those with an earthly hope. You can trust that once Jehovah has dealt with your sins, he will not bring them up again.

Jeremiah-Book, chap. 14 pp. 175-177

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102010153?q=%22BENEFICIARIES+OF+THE+NEW+COVENANT%22&p=par

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Excellent Perry. Nice follow up Bats

• Perry
    Perry

Excelllent link to the Watchtower position on the matter Bats....thank you.

The JW has the same choice of whom to believe just as our first mother had. He can choose to believe men who claim that "somehow" they can be declared righteous while at the same time personally rejecting the Blood Covenant that makes them righteous.

Or, they can believe God:

“Jesus said to him: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. - John 14:6

“Most truly I say to you, the one who does not enter into the sheepfold through the door but climbs in by another way, that one is a thief and a plunderer....So Jesus said again: “Most truly I say to you, I am the door for the sheep. - John 10: 1&7

Any JW who tries to get into God's favor by going around Jesus' blood covenant is seeking to steal something from God.....his office as a lone Savior. He is a thief and a robber. Furthermore, just to expound a little bit here: Justice sometimes takes into account the victim of the theft. For instance, if a thief steals from another thief, a judge might hand down a different sentence than say if a thief stole something from a widowed mother who is trying to raise her children and a couple orphans she also adopted. Similary, God provided this explicit warning to JW's who so carelessly treat the New Covenant with such a causual, academic interest.

How much greater punishment do you think a person will deserve who has trampled on the Son of God and who has regarded as of ordinary value the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and who has outraged the spirit of undeserved kindness with contempt [disrespect]? Heb. 10:29

• designs
    designs

Perry- That only holds in the mind of someone who has bought into this whole Adam and Eve Original Sin argument in the NT. This was why the groups like the Ebionites and Nazarenes considered Paul an apostate because he invented and tried to pass off as Jewish a non-jewish messiah.

• myelaine
    myelaine

I don't think any one of you has ever objected to Tammy's teaching that people are forgiven and saved by being nice to people who are in the covenant.

why the shift in policy if it's a GB that teaches it?

love michelle

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Perry:

Good summation of the scriptural view.

Some more references to the New Covenant and the Great Crowd here, and here, and here.

• designs
    designs

Bobcat- The major problem with NT theology, particularly Pauline, is this landgrab and repositioning of Jewish ideas into a christian nexus. The antisemitism of the NT is appalling.

Paul's new Gentile Church- the New Jews

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Designs:

The antisemitism of the NT is appalling.

From the general Jewish point of view (excluding Jewish Christians such as Paul), I could understand. Although, I could see a non-Jewish human thinking the same thing about the Jewish idea of being God's sole chosen people.

BTW, that was an interesting way of phrasing it - a "landgrab." I could see in that an allusion to the takeover of the promised land.

Thanks for your comment.

Take Care

• designs
    designs

Bobcat- This is one of those areas where the passage from Jeremiah 31:31 is taken in a different way by Paul from what a Jew viewed it. Co-opting some one else's religion for your own purposes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit