Tonites bookstudy

by Leander 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

It took everything I had to stay seated thru the bookstudy tonite, I felt like getting up and leaving. The fact that I'm the designated reader did'nt make matters any better either. I'm not sure how many people on the forum have the Isaiah's prophecy book but if you do have a copy check out chapter 21.

Chapter 21 in paragraphs 3 talks about how enemies of the Israelites (Pharoah, Nebuchadnezzar)were compelled to acknowledge that Jehovah was with his people. Then in paragraph 4 (this is the kicker)the society is illustrated as Israel and Babylon the Great is the enemy. Then they claim that Babylon the Great was compelled to acknowledge that JWs were Gods people because of the events in 1919. The paragraph also says that its evident that God is with the bible students because of the wonderful things he has accomplished in behalf of his witnesses.

So naturally this brings up several questions.

How did Babylon the Great acknowledge that JWs had God's favor? (one sister made the comment that in their minds christedom realized JWs had God's backing, I had to choke back laughter at that one)

What tangible proof is there that God was with JWs from that point in 1919? (the societys answer would be that they got out of jail, began fearlessly preaching and showed and increase in number. but really what REAL proof is there that they had his backing)

They also used the scripture at Revelations 11:13 and tried to apply it to the 1919 situation.

(Revelations 11:13 "And in that hour a great earthquake occured and a tenth of the city fell, and seven thousand persons were killed by the earthquake, and the rest became frightened and gave glory to the God of heaven)

Does anyone who knows the events of 1919 in detail know how this scriptures applies to that year? Was there any indication during that time that christedom publicly or in any other way acknowleded JWs as Gods people?

• Leander
    Leander

Part 2

As if the first part of the bookstudy was'nt enough it got worse. In paragraph 6-7 they first quoted Isaiah 25:6 which said "Jehovah of armies will certainly make for all the peoples, in this mountain, a banquet of well-oiled dishes, a banquet of wine kept on the dregs, of well-oiled dishes filled with marrow, of wine kept on the dregs, filtered"

Then paragraph 7 says this "The banquet is spread in Jehovahs mountain. What is this mountain? It is the mountain of the house of Jehovah to which all the nations stream in the final part of the days. It is Jehovahs holy mountain where his faithful worshipers do no harm and cause no ruin." Theres more to the paragraph but I'll end it there.

Here the WTS is trying to claim that there are so many people coming into the org during the time of the end and that there is no harm or ruin being done. I don't have any figures or numbers but I'm sure they would probably say otherwise.

But getting back to the scripture (Isaiah 25:6) the WTS claims that they are spreading out this well-oiled banquet. On the next page there is an illustration of a variety of dishes and surrounding the food are various WTS publications. So its not hard to see what conclusion they are trying to get the reader to come to.

feel free to comment on what you thought about this

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Leander, I think anyone here will tell you that I am no apologist for the WBTS. Even so, I am a stickler for accuracy and truth, even if it means you have to give props to the organization every now and then. You related this scipture:"(Revelations 11:13 "And in that hour a great earthquake occured and a tenth of the city fell, and seven thousand persons were killed by the earthquake, and the rest became frightened and gave glory to the God of heaven)", and said that the Isaiah book relates this to the events surrounding 1919.

Whether or not this really applies to the brothers being released from prison or not, the coincidences are pretty spooky. Upon the WT directors release from prison, an earthquake of some size did indeed hit Brooklyn, laying waste to 10% of the buildings therein, give or take a bit. Seven thousand people were killed, the vast majority of the death toll coming from 40* churches in the NY area. Bethel was untouched. People in the area, and in fact throughout the world were frightened by the news accounts, and streamed into KH's giving glory to Jehovah.

Spooky, init?

*no need to thank me aChristian

• lastcall
    lastcall

That's it six, I'm going back to the hall THURSDAY!

• Leander
    Leander

Are you serious?

If thats really the case then that would mean they fufilled a prophecy down to the last detail. Where can I verify this?

• Leander
    Leander

Beter yet if that really happened why was'nt it mentioned in the paragraph?

• Quotes
    Quotes

Wow! I have long thought that it was pretty self-centred to interpret scriptures so directly to the actions of one's own group (e.g. Revelation book: the seven trumpets are seven IBSA conventions in the 1920s -- gimme a break!) Of course, as long as it is an "unverifiable" claim (after all, we can't talk to God to confirm this) there is not way to directly disprove it.

But to actually make a claim like this, for which one could either request proof (as you have done) or else provide counter evidence which disproves -- now they are asking for trouble. Of course, to the truly non-questioning JW, they will never think to question these ever-increasing mad statements.

Hhhhmmmmm..... ever increasing mad statements... where unusual beleifs get crazier and crazier, until before you know it, the whole thing has gradually become COMPLETELY WACKED... hhhhmmmmm... where have I seen this before?..... OH YEAH:

- Jim Jones/Jamestown
    - Solar Temple
    - Branch Davidians
    - Heaven's Gate

===========================
    For interesting Watchtower Society literature quotes, complete with references but without any editorial, check out:
    http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

• Quotes
    Quotes

SixofNine:

Interesting post. Can you cite some references to back up this point? (asking in a nice friendly way, honest!)

===========================
    For interesting Watchtower Society literature quotes, complete with references but without any editorial, check out:
    http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Beter yet if that really happened why was'nt it mentioned in the paragraph?

uhhhmmm.... They don't like to brag(!)??

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Six,

You said:

Whether or not this really applies to the brothers being released from prison or not, the coincidences are pretty spooky. Upon the WT directors release from prison, an earthquake of some size did indeed hit Brooklyn, laying waste to 10% of the buildings therein, give or take a bit. Seven thousand people were killed, the vast majority of the death toll coming from 40* churches in the NY area. Bethel was untouched. People in the area, and in fact throughout the world were frightened by the news accounts, and streamed into KH's giving glory to Jehovah.
    In all my 28 years as a dub i never saw this. Could you please give your source? Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit