Boeing 747s and Other Misunderstandings about Evolution

by cofty 89 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

many cultures in ancient times (including the Hebrews) -Adam

You don't know about Hebrew culture's, you have been mistaken on many threads. My question to you is....

Why are you bringing this up on this thread? IMO your statement does not belong.

Sam xx

• cofty
    cofty

Hi Sam.

Adam's explanation of teleology in this context is exactly what I had in mind.

Evolution has no intentions.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I can't necessarily speak for regular individuals who have difficulty grasping the broad strokes of natural selection, but any misunderstandings about evolution held by Creationists are - in the end - moot, because despite what some may say, Biblical literalists ultimately reject evolution for ideological reasons.

• rmt1
    rmt1

Prebiotic significance of extraterrestrial ice photochemistry: detection of hydantoin in organic residues.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22059641

Formation of Amino Acids and Nucleotide Bases in a Titan Atmosphere Simulation Experiment
    http://www.sarahhorst.com/Publications_files/Horst_2012_amino.pdf

Cold chemistry like on comets and Titan has less chemical equilibrium that would quickly destroy newly-created complex molecules.

• adamah
    adamah

Kate said- You don't know about Hebrew culture's, you have been mistaken on many threads. My question to you is.... Why are you bringing this up on this thread?

Sam, you're going to have to look into that for yourself, since you shouldn't take anything you read on a forum without verifying. HOWEVER, your inability to do so also don't give you the right to tell others they're wrong, unless you can back that claim.

Start with infanticide in the ancient World:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanticide

Then Google for 'ancient Hebrew infanticide birth defects', maybe looking at a book written by Francesca Stavrakopoulou, Professor of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Religion in the University of Exeter's department of Theology and Religion, who's main focus of research is Israelite and Judahite history and religion. She wrote a book called, King Manasseh and Child Sacrifice: Biblical Distortions of Historical Realities. (BZAW 338). Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesca_Stavrakopoulou

I'm sure she'd be glad to hear your insight on the subject of ancient Hebrew practices, based on her research into findings from archaelogy throughout Israel and examination of written records which confirmed the practice (and is hinted at, in the Torah). The proviso is that as long as the child with defects was put to death before the 8th day, it was not considered murder, but actually a required action by Jehovah to avoid individuals being societal dead-weight (remember, the physical requirements for Levites to serve in the Temple and even for individuals to enter to worship required physical purity, i.e. free from such physical imperfections, free from such defects).

Oh, on this:

Kate said- IMO your statement does not belong.

Re-read my post carefully, and see if you can follow the absract thoughts I presented. If you still think it doesn't belong to support my point, trust me on this one, it's all on you.

Adam

• Terry
    Terry

Let's say there are 5 billion people on Earth.

Every day something happens to each one of us which does NOT happen to any of the others.

That means five billion (1-in-a-billion) chances all taking place on the same day.

And guess what? It happens every day.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

what I found amazing was when the concept of "accumulative complexity" finally clicked for me, it was amazing! Literally, every argument for evolution I had ever heard instantly crumbled

on top of that, theists have yet to explain how god came into existance beyond: "we can never comprehend it with our human brains". Well if that is good enough to explain God then how can't the big bang, abiogenesis and evolution be sufficient explanations also?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Evolution has no intentions-cofty

Yes that may be the case and I would agree. But Dawkin's certainly has intentions and ulteria motives. In this part of "The Blind Watchmaker" IMO Dawkin's is obscuring the fact that probabilities are relevant. He is trying to dismiss the fact that it's not very probable monkeys will type Shakepere given forever to do it.

It's possible, but just not probable.

Sam xx

• cofty
    cofty

That's an intersting way of looking at it Terry.

I was reading something by Sean B. Carroll recently about the maths of evolution. A mutation only has to provide a very tiny advantage to its host, for that allele to become ubiquitous in the gene pool in a surprisingly short time.

If I get time I will refresh my memory on it and summarise it.

I think most people seriously underestimate the power of cumulative selection.

Adam - please try to stay on topic. I realise you could write an essay on 1000 convoluted reasons why your knowledge of Iron Age Hebrew culture is in fact the topic, but please refrain.

• KateWild
    KateWild

your inability to do so also don't give you the right to tell others they're wrong, unless you can back that claim.-Adam

I don't have a google degree in ancient Hebrew Culture's. I have Jewish Schooling and Chader lessons, where we were taught amongst other things ancient Hebrew Cultures. I conclude you don't know what Chader means or how you pronounce it, see how google works for you there Adam???

I have backed up my claim I know more than you, I have the right to tell you so. Google is not a credible source of information

Love Sam xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit