RIP Comet Ison

by cofty 22 Replies latest social current

• smiddy
    smiddy

Didnt some religous weirdos beleive that christs second coming was associated with comet Kahoutec ?

Halleys comet turned out to be a bit of a fizzer at its last appearance , their have been one or two others in my lifetime , but nothing to write home about.

smiddy

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It seems that some of the Comet survived its contact with the Sun, perhaps it should be renamed the Mark Twain Comet, rumours of its death being somewhat exaggerated.

• bigmac
    bigmac

thanks jgnat xx for the links---no--it wasnt kohoutec i saw in the 90's--but the name shoemaker levy rings a bell. i did try to find 'tek back in the 70's--but failed. shoemaker levy--if that was the name--- in the 90's i definitely saw with binocs late at night. but halle bopp was awesome----lasted for weeks--in full daylight. after a while we took it for granted.

• Bruja-del-Sol
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

Ison, Isoff . . . ISON!

• AnnOMaly
  • CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

It's not dead. It is still there, just beat up a little, changed direction. But alive and well.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Its a sign. To get the proper enterpretation of this sign in the heavens, you must chug 3 beers, spin around for one minute, and then gaze into your decoder ring. Whatever you see is what it means (if you're still standiing), selah.

S

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

My favorite comet so far has been Hyakutate. It was spectacular in the northern skies. Hale Bopp was okay, seen mostly in the western sky. I had a great view of it in my Dynacope RV-6 and showed it to some neighbors.

When Shoemaker Levy broke into pieces and slammed into Jupiter, I had a front row seat of seeing the impact sites.

Good times. I was hoping Ison would not be a bust.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Can't believe how bright Venus is at the moment. I assume it's Venus just after 5pm in the south-west, low in the sky. Brightest thing I've ever seen, looks like a huge electric light just above the houses. I've been seeing it for a few weeks now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit