Close your eyes and imagine that you’re at your own funeral. Hopefully this won't be as morbid as it sounds . . .

by nicolaou 10 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

What would you like people to say about you. What kind of a life do you want to have lead? We'll all have regrets but what do you fear yours might be? What will you be most proud of?

Right now I could die knowing my three children were freed from the choking control I grew up with. They've all had opportunities I was denied; University, dating, free expression. My heart bursts with pride, and the fact that I gently coaxed my wife free too almost makes me cry for sheer happiness. I would die for my children, but I desperately want to live for my wife. We were teenagers when we fell in love (met at an Assembly) and we still have 'it' . . . .

Regrets? Well maybe I'll post about that later, don't want to spoil this nice fuzzy feeling I'm enjoying . . .

Nic'

• blondie
    blondie

No funeral, no service, no obit.............If anyone has something to say about me, they can do it to my face while I'm alive. After so many fakey funerals, jw and non-jw, it is one "ritual" I wish to skip. Cremation and disposal for me. I figure if you want to celebrate your life, do it while you are alive by the things you do and say, spend time now with the people you love.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

No funeral, no service, no obit.............If anyone has something to say about me, they can do it to my face while I'm alive. After so many fakey funerals, jw and non-jw, it is one "ritual" I wish to skip. Cremation and disposal for me. I figure if you want to celebrate your life, do it while you are alive by the things you do and say, spend time now with the people you love.

Amen, and AMEN.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

If anyone has something to say about me, they can do it to my face while I'm alive.

Okay. Not quite to your face but; Blondie I've always thought of you as an insightful and compassionate lady. I've valued your opinions and quick references over the last twelve years and especially your 'straight to the point, no faffing about' style of writing.

Nic' - a Blondie fan

• adamah
    adamah

Nic said- What would you like people to say about you. What kind of a life do you want to have lead? We'll all have regrets but what do you fear yours might be? What will you be most proud of?

I've never understood the deathbed regret thing: why does it matter, since you're almost dead? And who cares what they say about you when you're dead, since the grieving process is for the LIVING, for the living to decide if there was anything to be learned from your life?

I think the key is to live your life WHILE you ARE alive, and getting satisfaction WHILE you're able to enjoy a sense of satisfaction with your efforts (as you're doing now, Nic, leaving the World and your family in a better-position than it was when you entered it).

If everyone did that, they'd be leaving a lasting legacy for making the World a better place in a tangible way, rather than building their lives around a future dream that'll never be.

Adam

• designs
    designs

A simple meeting of close friends and family. Play Van Morrrison's- Piper At The Gates of Dawn and read from Keats: "What men and gods are these. What maidens pursuit. What struggle to escape. What pipes and timbrels. What wild ecstasy."

• clarity
    clarity

What Blondie said ... except I will do my own obit!!! Just need to fill in the date!!

>

No funeral, no service, no obit.............If anyone has something to say about me, they can do it to my face while I'm alive. After so many fakey funerals, jw and non-jw, it is one "ritual" I wish to skip. Cremation and disposal for me. I figure if you want to celebrate your life, do it while you are alive by the things you do and say, spend time now with the people you love

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I worry that I will not see enough of the world before I die. I am trying my best to travel but I started so late and it is sooo big.

I am proud of my daughter. She is strong, intelligent and she has ethical values that she developed herself.

I understand what you are trying to say Nic. Some don't think it is worth thinking about what we might regret just before we die but I think it's a great point. Old age may go on for many of us for a very long time with increased medical care. We don't want to be old and full of regrets. I'm trying to get on with life while I'm still young enough.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Opinions of others don't matter much to me.

I've been in near death situations, and I know I feel comfortable knowing what I made out of this life. I've made mistakes and I've been an ass sometimes, just like everyone, but yeah, I feel good about what I've done for the most part.

If others don't think so, that's not my problem really. Maybe that sounds cold or something, but it is how I feel.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I told my younger sister no funeral for me, no point in wasting money on a coffin or grave. Just lose my ashes under a rose bush somewhere and forget about it.

Although it would be fun to have a headstone that says, "What are you looking at?" or "You're next." Or, maybe, "piss off, can't you see I'm trying to sleep?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit