Here comes death again

by Decided 18 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I can remember one woman I volunteered to help around the house. She was in her mid 90's and had adult children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, friends but when one friend died she was especially sad...she was the last person who remembered her when she was a little girl.....but her secret was to make new friends outside her age group, of which she had many, I was one. But I took a picture of her at 8 and had it framed nicely. She found a place where she would see it every day and visitors too.

So remember those who have gone before with affection, but remember all the loved ones you still have and can enjoy. And remember or see yourself as more than an "old" person facing death but young still able to enjoy life.

Blondie (early 60's)

• J. Hofer
  • designs
    designs

Sorry for your loss, death seems to gather at times, we had a period of about five years where our parents aunts and uncles all passed

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Wow pallbearer, you are a cheery soul now aren't you? Yes deathy is inevitable but all the more reason to get the most out of life while we have it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

This fear of death and ageing I believe, is the strongest hold the WTS has on my hubby. He just received a distressing diagnosis (not life-threatening, but a definite sign that we are old). It's hitting him hard.

The boomers are getting up in years and soon there will be more funerals to attend than weddings. That has got to have an impact on our society and our view of ageing, sickness and death. So far the boomers are rebranding themselves as zoomers. But do we have the equipment, the coping techniques, to handle disability and death?

We also, seriously, have to get better at honoring the contributions of experience that elders bring to our communities.

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

Hey Frazzled!

If you're smart you will NEVER allow your Dentist to fill your teeth with gold. Undertakers have no ethics. They will steal the gold out of a dead person's mouth faster than you can blink. Who is gonna check to see if a corpse still has its gold fillings or not? It's a cinch that no one is gonna perform an inspection upon a person that's laying in a casket. No one is gonna pry open the corpse's mouth and have a look! All the Undertakers know that!!! They all know the chances of them being found out is "0" (zero). They know it beats the heck out of panning for gold somewhere up in Colorado. And they all keep track of the price of gold. You're a fool if you trust any of them!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

DATA-DOG: Death is inevitable. It's hard to go from believing that you will never face death, to realizing that everyone dies. It's really sad when you see all you JW family and friends getting old and dying, one by one. Then you look in the mirror and realize that your time is coming sooner or later. It's a strange feeling. It's also liberating in a way. JWs don't really live. Everything is put on hold for a future someday. At least that's how my life has been. I never pursued any of my talents because the END was just around the corner.

Ditto.

Those of you who learned TTATT early enough in life to start it over are indeed very fortunate.

Doc

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Decided:

I also had two deaths in the last month or so of people I knew. Neither were JWs.

In the first instance, the person was 80 and a relative and lived a nice life and she had immediate family with her. In the other instance it was more tragic. The person was in his early forties and leaves a wife and young children.

Of course both people will be missed. However, at least the 80 year old lived to an advanced age.

When I was about 11 and in grade school, a classmate (boy) dropped dead in the schoolyard while playing ball. Also, reading in the papers about a young child who had been abducted and murdered told me that even children can die.

Which brings us to the JW religion: the religion has an unhealthy attitude and has people wishing their life away and not living in the present moment. This is very unfortunate because the present moment is all we really have. The JWs are no different from people in Christendom who believe in a "hereafter", but at least the average person in Christendom isn't wishing their present life away!

When I first started my "fade" from the JW religion, the first thing I did was to make peace with the idea of death and rid myself of the paradise earth teaching. I felt this was an unhealthy "tease" and the fact that I don't miss it tells me I might not have fully believed their teaching in the first place.

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

Hey Decided!

What you really need to do, Ken P., is spend a whole lot more of your time at Funeral Homes. Hang out down there, and visit all the dead people as they are brought in. Observe how each one looks. Check to see if they "look good" or not. Chances are that if they don't look so good then the Mortician is lousy at his art, and likely made poor grades in Mortician School. Also, look closely at the deceased person's fingernails. Check to see if there is any gook underneath or anywhere around the cuticle area. If there is gook, you sure don't want THAT Mortician working on your body after you breathe your last. Learn from your visitations at the various Funeral Homes in your area, so that you can avoid making the same mistake as those you observed. One last bit of advice: Don't be in no hurry to die. You'll get there soon enough anyway, so no need to rush into it. Just make sure that when it happens that you will have done everything possible to avoid all the jerk Morticians. Get you a good-un, 'cause they don't cost any more dough than the bad-uns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit