Question for believers.

by zound 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

Anything that is untrue is harmful. I'm not fond of being taken down a road that goes to nowhere, which is exactly what untruths do. Screw all things untrue!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

JW answer: It's still the best way of life.

Doc

• jhine
    jhine

Julia , I think that what you say is correct ( and DoC and Crazyguy and Quarterback ). Only the cults as far as I am aware go door to door and "push " religion at people . As a Christian I do not feel that it is my job to MAKE anyone believe . I will answer questions about my faith and I live in a way that may encourage people to ask questions .

As I have posted before our little Cof E church in rural middle England has recently embarked on an initiative to visit each house in the parish but only to introduce the church to people and to give out leaflets about the ways in which the community of churches in the wider area can help , advice about debt , breavement councelling etc . If someone wants prayer for any reason ie an elderly gent was to go in hospital the day after the visit to his house and asked for the ladies to pray about this , then fine .

The main way that most denominations make an impact in their communities is to offer practical help and support and to try to improve the lives of those in their parishes .

We cannot make someone have faith and would not try . That is for the Watchtower and others of that breed .

Jan

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

zound: why confine the question to believers? if what atheist teach is not true would that not be just as harmful? not only harmful but even more harmful because of the eternal consquances?

• Laika
    Laika

Surely everyone has some false beliefs? It doesn't have to effect your life.

Would you say it was harmful to promote unbelief if the believers are right?

• tec
    tec

But if they turn out to be NOT true, do you agree that you are harming people in some way by spreading these mistruths?

Spreading mistruth (lies) about Christ and God is harmful, even in the sense that you may hinder someone from coming to know them in Truth.

Spreading mistruth, period, be that by a believer, a non-believer, by various governments and newspeople spreading lies and propoganda (in war or otherwise) for thier own agenda (get power/make money), etc; has been shown to be harmful.

Peace to you,

tammy

• Terry
    Terry

"Knowing" you are right simply doesn't feed your heart and reward your day to day life experience if you aren't

a part of a group where there is true warmth and love and celebration of life.

Most of us, I dare say, would prefer an emotionally satisfying life to an intellectually accurate one.

Think about the cold comfort to Jehovah's Witnesses having the . . .uh-hem. . ."true" religion at Christmas time

sitting it out while everybody has a lovely time celebrating with their extended family.

There is a big emotional hole in the middle of that.

God is more emotionally satisfying than intellectually convincing outside of the cult experience.

But, being an atheist or agnostic is more like the situation with JW's than you might think.

It is cold comfort.

In your head you are convinced there is nothing to the glamor of what others are finding so wonderfully happy.

But--damn! Standing like a wallflower in the corner while the party goes on is enough to make you feel unloved and useless.

So, I think lots of outsiders who embrace the intellect rather than the emotion grow a bit bitter, resentful and eager to get in

a blow or two.

Fights are picked and insults are hurled.

Like I said--cold comfort.

• jhine
    jhine

Terry that sounds so sad .I'm not sure if you are expecting any kind of response to what is a statement not a question , but I for one feel at a loss on how to respond anyway .

Jan

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i think 1 corinthians 15 about verse 17 or 18 is interesting.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

To believers. Would you agree with the proposition that if the beliefs you teach to others (even if it's very little and informal) are true... then no problem. But if they turn out to be NOT true, do you agree that you are harming people in some way by spreading these mistruths?

Seems to me that it would be even more apt to ask this question of non-believers, at least those who are evangelistic in their unbelief. You might argue that, if theistic beliefs are untrue and one mistakenly embraces them he/she is missing out on certain aspects of life that he/she might otherwise have enjoyed (though the "benefits" of some of these activities are questionable at best). Put simply, you might miss out on some fun in this life by being a believer.

But if theistic belief turns out to be true, and non-believers have convinced others NOT to believe, then the consequences are essentially negative, infinite and eternal. Whether one believes in an eternal hell, or simply annihilation, the unbeliever has missed out on an eternal, blissful existence, if theism is true. That strikes me as a much more serious consequence than missing a few parties.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit