Question for believers.

by zound 19 Replies latest jw friends

• zound
    zound

This thread is not to try and prove which position is true or false, but I wanted to ask a question to believers. I'll prelude the question with some examples.

JW's think that their message is true and benificial to others - therefore they knock on doors and informal witness etc. I think it's safe to say most on this forum agree it is NOT true and it is in fact harmful (particularly to children) Perhaps harmful in ways that the JW is not in a position to appreciate because of his/her warped perspective on things.

On the other hand - if their message WAS true, and armageddon is coming etc etc, then you could argue that them preaching this stuff is NOT harmful (actually its morally ambiguous but nevermind that for the time being) because the ends justifies the means - it all comes out in the wash etc.

In turn if Mormons message was false then we can agree they are misleading, lying, wasting peoples precious time and lives and ultimately harming children and susceptable people by spreading it. If Mormons message is true then they are NOT (again morally ambiguous).

To quote Christopher Hitchens - If jesus was who he said he was, then he was the greatest man who ever lived. If he wasn't, then he was a dangerous madman.

All the religions and believers of the world are counting on the fact that they have the truth - and that fact alone gives them little hesitation in sharing it with others because it is the TRUTH.

Coming to the question:

To believers. Would you agree with the proposition that if the beliefs you teach to others (even if it's very little and informal) are true... then no problem. But if they turn out to be NOT true, do you agree that you are harming people in some way by spreading these mistruths?

Thankyou. Look forward to your thoughts.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Paul said he didnt care by what motive the gospel was preached but that it was. He also said any one that preaches a gospel other then the one we apostles preach they would be cursed. With that being said if christian religions focused only on the gospel or good news of christ and that hes the messiah etc. we would not have all these problems. Stay with in what is written.

• prologos
    prologos

Paul's arguments were all based on the fact that

the talking snake, fall into sin, death through sin, redemption are true, factual,

he did not know how wrong he was, carried away by the profondeur of it all.

Is it harmfull? not everything. families and personal quality have been lifted by focussing on a higher, controlled ideal.

harmfull?: yes to the lives that have been ruined by abuses and

the TRUE potential that was not fulfilled.

Would I repeat the past preaching process? No.

even if purged of all the falsehoods: No.

• zound
    zound

Paul said he didnt care by what motive the gospel was preached but that it was. He also said any one that preaches a gospel other then the one we apostles preach they would be cursed. With that being said if christian religions focused only on the gospel or good news of christ and that hes the messiah etc. we would not have all these problems. Stay with in what is written.

Okay. So if 'what was written' turned out to be false, would you say that preaching it be harmful?

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Well I'm not a fan of knocking at the doors.

If the message helps a person to kick a nasty addiction, gives hope, improves lives, then what's the harm?

• zound
    zound

But what I'm asking is - imagining if that "hope" is not true. The other factors you mentioned can remain.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I guess it comes down to faith, if one believes the hope in christ is true or not. I don't think it is harmful to believe in christ and to act the way he said his followers should, having love for one another and your nieghbor. It when religions go beyond what is written is when all the problems start and i think paul understood this better then any one after Jesus.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't know if Paul believed in a literal interpretation of the stories. He strikes me as a sophisticated person. I don't know.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Hope is a powerful thing, false or real. A lot of people held on to their hopes whether it was to fight desease, waiting to be rescued, reading diet books/magazines, giving 2nd chances on things such as relationships. Mankind wants to beleive and have faith. I guess the answer is a disappointment if the effort was based on false foundations. But, mankind still needs to hope in something, until something better comes along. Do you know of anything better?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yes, in the same way bad health information can harm people if they take it up. A few years ago these people went around telling people that having more oxygen was good for you, and gained a following of people having it injected into their veins. It turned out to be false information and people got hurt. I think it's one thing to discuss what you believe; indeed even as a JW I came from the angle of, "this is what I believe about XYZ, what do you believe?" at the doors, but it's another to push it onto people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit