Will The UN ban religion? Or Will It shove foreign religions down our throats?

by Pig 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pig
    Pig

So JW's belive that right about now the UN will be banning all religion. Close but ni cigar

Teacher threaten parents that they will destroy their childs career prospects if they do not allow their child to attend a pro islamic brainwashing field trip

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2511841/Children-8-racist-miss-Islam-trip-Schools-threatening-letter-parents-met-outrage.html

I'm not from England but I can see a pretty obvious pattern here. Christmas was never a sensitive subject while JW attended school for the last 100 years. Neither would the kids ever be expected to go to a Scientology workshop. No one would even suggest that school cafeterias should change so as not to offend Mormons. What am I getting at here? Any religion that is perceived as white or European does not need to be accommodated to and requires no sensitivity. To the contrary it is open game for mocking and ridicule.

But on the other hand any religion that is perceived to be non-white is thought of as noble, wise admirable and much more in touch with spirituality and culture.

People need to take the blinders of their eyes. Thousands of years and wars and conflict have apparently taught us that it’s a good idea to throw people from different religions, cultures, lifestyles, races, languages, ethnicities... into one location and they will all get along and strengthen that country. And when it doesn work, blame white people.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't know what what the Witnesses currently teach about the United Nations. A friend worked there as an internatinal civil servant. People have written about the UN taking over the world since Day One. It simply is not true. My impression was that many social welfare programs are administered throught eh United Nations. Liteacy, health care, economic development. These programs help people. Within the UN itself, there is competition about resources and the direction of the UN agencies. I fail to see any evidence of "one world" power. Quite the opposite. The United States turns to the Security Council on occasion for legitimacy. I believe our State Department interacts with countries unilaerally more than through the auspices of the UN.

I understand what you are saying about white religion. Religion should not be taught in public schools in the United States or Great Britain. During the early 1960s, it was hard for me b/c Christianity was taught in school. I grew up with school prayer. My teachers equated main stream Christianity with being a good American. I would have loved comparative religion education. My parents selected my religion. As a little kid, I was so ashamed of the Witnesses! I cried so hard in the cafeteria or playground as I was bullied for not crossing myself. Most of us born-in know about exclusion and social pressure. There were two Protestants in my class. Two main stream Protestant. I knew about Jewish beliefs. How I longed for a single Jewish student so I could be ostracized with someone else.

No child should endure what many of us did. I saluted the flag. My mom let me do things if no other Witnesses were present. All the time I felt as though a special wrath at Armageddon was waiting for me. There was no sensitivty at all for minority rights. A more appropriate response from my parents would have been to sue the damn school board. I also had fascist teachers who made fun of immigrant kids. They had to practice walking without swaggers like Mussolini. The remedial reading teacher decided to show me a lesson in fifth grade. In front of the entire class, she wrote my family's mispronounciatins on the blackboard. Next, she engaged me in a variety of word games. I was a fifth grader and she was an adult teacher with education. She won every encounter. She made such fun of me with the other kids as her chorus. I wanted to run out of the school screeching. Perhaps I shoudl have. I tried so hard not to have a breakdown. I pretended it did not bother me. The other kids were jealous of my class ranking. They howled. This happened in front of the regular teacher. Talk about trauma. I don't blame my classmates. We were tracked according to grades so I had the best seat. Teachers always gave me compliments. If I were they, I would not like me. Would I love to engage that bitch in word games now!

To make matters worse, my brother had cerebral palsy. A severely disabled little boy saw my bro as a role model. One day I walked past the remedial class room, running a teachers' errand, and she was smacking him on the head with a ruler, calling him stupid and a cow. I knew it was very wrong. Our state has one of the strictest laws against infliction of corporal punishment in the country. When I thought of what to do about it, there was not a single adult I could trust to help.

Sometimes I wonder if my particular school had more wacko, out of control teachers than most. Perhaps it was the times. When we moved on to a larger school for junior high, these incidents did not occur. There was more diversity. Religious belief was respected. I am very curious how others fared in school. Oh, I recall another incident. We had a John Birch Society teacher in fifth grade. She went around the class and demanded to know what our parents did for a living. Well, unless your parent graduated college, she pulled you apart in the most vicious manner. My father did mainteance work and carpentry. I elevated him to a minister the way the Witnesses claimed. My friends said I was lying. I replied that he was a Jehovha's Witness minister. Any working class trade was mocked. Only one father was acceptable to her. An engineer who worked making munitions at a federal arsenal. The rest of us were wailing. She should have been fired on the spot. I have a feeling no one told their parents. I was so angry with her. My mom would have loved a college education. Besides, there is nothing miraculous about a college education. Many skilled tradespeople earn more than college grads. I don't like the monolithic march to college today. Now a college education is merely a high school degree.

This teacher overreached. If the children were to make ten field trips to experience a sampling of religions, it would make sense. She had no right to elevate Islam. Preferential treatment for Christianity is wrong. No religion should receive preferential treatment. I do feel that students should learn about every major religion in the world.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Band on the Run - "I don't know what what the Witnesses currently teach about the United Nations."

Fred Franz's eschatalogical script is still pretty much WT canon, but they don't focus on the details so much these days, for a number of reasons (see below).

Band on the Run - "People have written about the UN taking over the world since Day One. It simply is not true."

The idea has its origins in mid-20th Century American right-wing conspiracy theory (McCarthy, the John Birch Society, etc.). Many right-wingers were very suspicious about anything resembling globalism (even before it was called globalism), and were particularly suspicious of the concept of the United Nations, in no small part because significant portions of the UN's Charter were drafted by Europeans with Soviet connections.

Marrying that paranoia to conservative evangelical rhetoric about "godless communists threatening Christian America" was inevitable, and there was a lot more cross-pollination of ideas between the various apocalyptic millenialist groups (including the WT) back then, so to Freddie (and, frankly, many others), the whole daisy-chain actually seemed plausible. The WT's take on Revelation is, quite frankly, very similar to most other apocalyptic Christian denominations; it's simply been given a WT-centric spin.

You're right, of course, the suggestion that the UN is trying to take over the world is simply not true, and in fact, virtually impossible.

It simply doesn't function anything like a tyrannical worldwide empire, and couldn't even if it wanted to. And besides, any misguided attempt at "banning" organized religion would never even get out of the starting gate; the US is one of five superpowers with veto authority over any resolution, and is the most religious country (per capita) in the developed West.

Hell, the Security Council can barely enforce resolutions defending religious freedom, let alone marshal a successful planetary campaign to supress it.

• cofty
    cofty

Pig - Why did you mention the UN in your thread title and OP?

The story is about a headteacher who made an idiot of herself with one of the dumbest school letters I have ever seen.

If she doesn't realise that Islam is not a race she isn't intelligent enough to be a lunch monitor let alone a headteacher.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

My opinion is that this is just a twist on the standard end-times boogeyman stories that "the faithful" tell each other to compensate for the FACT that their god has done NOTHING for them.

Like all other fairy-tales, it will not come true, no matter how much you might wish it will.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

It's appalling that people this ignorant are actually put in charge of educating children.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

lol daily mail. you might as well have quoted a story from the national enquirer.

• Splash
    Splash

lol daily mail. you might as well have quoted a story from the national enquirer.

Does this mean the headmaster's letter which was printed in that paper would be more newsworthy if it had been printed in a different paper?

I'm not really sure I follow your logic.

Splash

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

The Daily Mail is a right wing, royalist, conservative newspaper. It sneers at the "red tops" (the classic tabloids) but is simply presents the same type of sensationalist claptrap in a way that is acceptable to the conservative middle classes who wish to pretend they are reading something better than the Sun just because it's not got red letters at the top.

It is a hypocritical waste of paper with pretty much no journalistic merit to offset it's deficiencies.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Having said that the tone of the letter was outrageous. The Head is a moron but unfortunately the education sector seems to attract them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit