How Do You Feel About All The Time You Wasted Being. A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    A friend of mine just told me a couple of days ago. That while out with his new girl friend he broke down and started crying. It hit him that he's 58 years old and has maybe 20 years left.
  • Terry
    Terry

I find it best for my mental health to look at the collateral benefits rather than damage

I learned to come out of my extreme shyness and give public talks and knock on stranger's doors.

That's a biggie!

I learned to organize confusing material into a pithy speech and present it without soiling my underwear.

That's another biggie.

I gained confidence in my strength of character by going before F.B.I. interrogators, Draft Board questioners,,

a Federal Judge, jailers, prison guards, rapists, murderers, etc.

I discovered what I was made of and finally decided the building materials were deficient: I had to admit I had practically thrown my life away for utter nonsense!

I had to endure the opposition of my wife, the Kingdom Hall, and the judicial committee and feel what it meant to be persona non grata.

I experienced PTS, a nervous breakdown, disfellowship, divorce, the disintegration of my world view--BUT still keep moving forward.

I learned to love invisible persons, fear supernatural entities and discover they didn't really exist!

By the time I reached the age of 33, I had lived in two worlds and one of them was make-believe.

I've taken away from my JW experience a loathing of the smugness of self-convinced know-it-alls; after all, I was one.

I carry with me a deep and abiding sense of duty to keep plugging away in exposing malfeasance and moral fraudulence in the Watchtower world.

I no longer love my former best friend (who influenced me to become a JW) because he recently lied about me in a character assassination way. The final betrayal convinced me I've remained slightly delusional because I still considered him a 'friend.'

The benefits were unintentional, to be sure. But I acknowledge them for their positive effect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit