Why do Jehovah's Witnesses keep track of field service hours?

by Faithful Witness 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

Keeping track of how the literature is dispensed goes a long way towards avoiding waste. That way the WT can adjust where appropriate to fit the needs of the public and avoid waste and unnecessary labor by the volunteering Bethelites. It also provides the Circuit Overseer a general idea of how the publishers are doing on an individual and congregational level. I've always likened an individual's time card as a medical record in the sense that when the Circuit Overseer visits, he can review the overall spiritual health of individual publishers and the congregation. While the timecard doesn't provide an entire picture of a publisher's health, it does provide enough of a snapshot to assist the Circuit Overseer in providing assistance to those that really need it.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I think that's the most loaded diaper of bullshit you've posted so far, no actually that statement makes the Top Five List of your most assinine posts.

I think you must've been laughing hysterically as you actually typed that because you know it's such a load.

• steve2
    steve2

Keeping track is a splendid way to monitor each publisher's work. Praise for those doing "well" (as defined by organization-determined circumstances) and needling of those who are not. "Worldy"managers know full well that performance appraisals are time-honored ways to maintain and increase staff productivity.

It is no coincidence that reporting of time was introduced, not by Chuck Russell, but by corporate-minded Rutherford, well versed in the art of social manipulation of followers' behaviours. That this odious leftover from Rutherford's "reign" continues - albeit in a greatly 'softened'form - is a testimony to its (relative) effectiveness. The GB know that were the counting of time no longer formally required, one of the prime - if not the prime - motivators of witnessing would vanish. Rapidly, there would then be even more evidence that the organization is stagnating and threatened by declining zeal. The organization would look even more perilously like the parlous state of many,many organized religious groups it so hypocritically criticizes.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Keeping track of how the literature is dispensed goes a long way towards avoiding waste.

EVIDENTLY....the JW's don't do field serve-the-GB at the dump. BECAUSE...if they did they would see where Watchtower literature is disposed.

What a waste of time and resources.

• hoser
    hoser

It is a control mechanism to make people feel bad about themselves so that they do more to try to feel better. The problem in watchtowerland is that the bar is always raised higher. You can never be good enough.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Witness my fury:

Purely business. In their mind it is a guage of effectiveness and for targetting resources.

But we all know it is really dual use for control and guilt as well. Why else would our report cards have our name on them

got it right in my view. The JWs are an Americanised version of Christianity, its meme carries the concepts of American "can do-ism," and of American business efficiency, as epitomised in Nathan Knorr's organisational efficiency. It's as "American" as the huge religious palaces constructed by some of the JW's competitors, or 'apple pie."

But, in my opinion the idea of an efficient, business-like organisation to accomplish "God's will," came from big, brash Joe Rutherford, who got it from his mates in the Coca Cola company, who epitomised the American ideals of efficiency and the power of advertising.

That connection ran deep, note Farkel's comments on the later connection, when Rutherford allows his probable mistress, Bonnie Boyd, to marry William Heath, a Coca Cola business connection:

"In 1938 Bonnie Boyd married William Heath, an heir to one of the founders of the Coca Cola

company. Heath was very, very rich. She continued to accompany Rutherford along with her

new husband everywhere he went. But there was ONE thing that had changed. Her

husband was heir to part of the Coca Cola fortune."

Reference: http://aggelia.be/Rutherford_Exposed.pdf

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Keeping track of how the literature is dispensed goes a long way towards avoiding waste.....SFPW

How many JW`s report that 95% of their WBT$ literature is in the spare bedroom,attack garage ect..ect..Because..

Nobody wants that Crap..

................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Stand For Pure Worship:

Thank you for your reply. Your answer is interesting. Can you explain to me what you mean by "spiritual health?"

• steve2
    steve2

I dare not speak for SfPW, but according to the very organization he archly defends, an important part of "spiritua health" is avoiding the contagion of apostate websites. Evidenly, unlike his brothers and sisters who mindlessly flee from anything with a whiff oif apostasy, SfPW is not troubledat all by it. There is a least a few members of every congregation like that. In any other context, they'd be viewed as hypocrities, but who am I to overtly conec the dots?

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

Thank you for your reply. Your answer is interesting. Can you explain to me what you mean by "spiritual health?"

Well, in the same way that the condition of a person's physical health is improved through exercise, a Christian's spiritual health is maintained through staying busy with theocratic activities. (2 Tim 4:2, 4) You may remember the old saying, "if you don't use it, you'll lose it?" Well, the same can be said when it comes to one's spiritual health, and the best way to determine that is to examine their efforts, or lack there of. (James 2:14-16)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit