Why do Jehovah's Witnesses keep track of field service hours?

by Faithful Witness 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

This suck ass real estate laundering firm gets 13 billion dollars of free labor/year; based on 1 billion service hours....

I could sell ice to eskimos with 13 billion dollars of free labor.

• Ding
    Ding

The same reason they do everything else -- the GB tells them to.

Why does the GB tell them to?

The same reason they tell them to do all the other things they do -- control.

If they abandoned the reporting requirement, field service would collapse.

• tornapart
    tornapart

1st) so they can keep a track of everyone 2) So they know how much literature to produce. But mainly it's for the first reason.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Unity Forced Conformity. Without it the Org would disintergrate. Just ask Hayden Covington.

That is a great question. A JW can't really ask it. If you did then you will be labeled as a rebel. You just do as you are told. A normal dub might say, " We preach the good news, no one else does." As dumb as that sounds, that's probably the answer you will get..

DD

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

So, the reporting requirement was created by the society. It has no scriptural basis?

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

I have always been told it is for organizational purposes. Jehovah is a God of order. They kept detailed statistics in ancient Israel, so God's people have always kept organized records etc. etc.

Of course in the real world it is used as a measuring stick of "spirituality" aka - organizational loyalty. If you are sacrificing more time for the cause then you must believe in it more, have stronger loyalty and so forth. They reward people with highest hours/highest loyalty with more prominence in the group. At our last convention, almost all the people in the drama were pioneers.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I can't add to that it's all about the money and the numbers, but a JW will say it's about, incite to love and fine works Heb 10.24 , a report from a far land is refreshing prov 25.25, blah blah.

Kate xx

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Faithful Witness, Have you read the following thread: The reporting of field service time (1) - Jehovahs-Witness.Net. I used google to search for additional information. Have you researched when the WTBTS started to record hours? Have you looked through WTBTS's annual reports to see when the WTBTS started reporting hours?

Once you know when the WTBTS started recording hours, you will probably discover why the WTBTS started to record hours.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• paladin
    paladin

If you are not towing the line you will be contacted by two high controlling elders. It's that guilt trip and fear method. I don't think Jesus required time slips from his followers.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

They are obsessed with measuring something that shows their 'spirituality'.....unfortunately, Jesus was very clear that it wasn't something you can measure.....its a matter of the heart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit