Is their a table/list comparing what the WT & Awake magazines print that differs from their bound volumes ?

by smiddy 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• smiddy
    smiddy

I have seen quotations from time to time that says the WT & Awake magazines have been changed when the bound volumes come out , has anybody ever been able to list these changes ? and make a comparison .? To me this is quite deceptive , like speaking out of both sides of your mouth .If you pick them up on one thing then they quote something different , and have the printed page to prove it.Surely they need to be nailed down on this.

smiddy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I think it is a list of one

• Fernando
    Fernando

One imagines someone has taken the time to compile such a list.

• itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

I don't know of a list, but I do know that there are examples of changes in the WTLIB CD rom of changes evident from mags printed the past year and even earlier ones too! Sorry, I do not have them readily available but I have run into them for sure. So in that the BV is printed later it allows them to update with newer, new light. Isn't that great........

• Splash
    Splash

These are the only ones I know of:

SEVEN LITERATURE REVISIONS TO WHEN 'THE END' WILL BE

1. Changed from: Watchtower 1989 January 1 p.12 (loose copy magazine):
    "He was laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century."

1. Changed to: Watchtower 1989 January 1 p.12 (from Bound Volume):
    "He was laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our day."

2. Changed from: Awake 1982 - 1995 (Box inside front cover, printed in every magazine):

"Most importantly, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new order before the generation that saw the events of 1914 C.E. passes away.":

2. Changed to: Awake Nov 1995 - Dec 2012 (Box inside front cover, printed in every magazine)

"Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things.":

(Note: cj chap. 5 p. 197 Chapter 5 - But let your Yes mean Yes, and your No, No)

"For one to use God’s name indiscriminately or lightly, or to be continually affirming statements with oaths, [e.g. 'creator's promise' above] smacks of hypocrisy and turns others away from the form of worship that one advocates."

3. Changed from: Thy Kingdom Come (Studies in the Scriptures Vol.3) (1908) p.228

"That the deliverance of the saints must take place sometime before 1914 is manifest, since the deliverance of fleshly Israel, as we shall see, is appointed to take place at that time... Just how long before 1914 the last living members of the body of Christ will be glorified, we are not directly informed... With these two thoughts in mind, we can approximate the time of the deliverance."

3. Changed to: Thy Kingdom Come (Studies in the Scriptures Vol.3) (1937) p.228

"That the deliverance of the saints will take place sometime after 1914 is manifest, since the deliverance of fleshly Israel, as we shall see, is appointed to take place thereafter... Just how long after 1914 the last living members of the body of Christ will be glorified, we are not directly informed... With these two thoughts in mind, we can approximate the time of the deliverance."

4. Changed from: Thy Kingdom Come (1904 edition — Millennial Dawn, vol 3) p.342

This measure is 1542 inches, and indicates the year B.C. 1542, as the date at that point. Then measuring down the "Entrance Passage" from that point, to find the distance to the entrance of the "Pit," representing the great trouble and destruction with which this age is to close, when evil will be overthrown from power, we find it to be 3416 inches, symbolizing 3416 years from the above date, B.C. 1542. This calculation shows AD. 1874 as marking the beginning of the period of trouble; for 1542 years B.C. plus 1874 years AD. equals 3416 years. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1874 was the chronological beginning of the time of trouble such as was not since there was a nation — no, nor ever shall be afterward.

And thus it will be noted that this "Witness" fully corroborates the Bible testimony on this subject...

4. Changed to: Thy Kingdom Come (1910 edition — Studies In The Scriptures, vol. 3) p.342

This measure is 1542 inches, and indicates the year B.C. 1542, as the date at that point. Then measuring down the "Entrance Passage" from that point, to find the distance to the entrance of the "Pit," representing the great trouble and destruction with which this age is to close, when evil will be overthrown from power, we find it to be 3457 inches, symbolizing 3457 years from the above date, B.C. 1542. This calculation shows AD. 1915 as marking the beginning of the period of trouble; for 1542 years B.C. plus 1915 years AD. equals 3457 years. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1914 will be the beginning of the time of trouble such as was not since there was a nation — no, nor ever shall be afterward.

And thus it will be noted that this "Witness" fully corroborates the' Bible testimony on this subject...

5. Changed from: The Truth that Leads to Eternal Life 1968 pg.9 ch.1 Blessings from God Near at Hand!

Also, as reported back in 1960, a former United States Secretary of State, Dean Acheson, declared that our time is "a period of unequalled instability, unequalled violence." And he warned: "I know enough of what is going on to assure you that, in fifteen years from today, [ie in 1975] this world is going to be too dangerous to live in."

5. Changed to: The Truth that Leads to Eternal Life 1981 pg.9 ch.1 Blessings from God Near at Hand!

Also, as reported back in 1960, a former United States Secretary of State, Dean Acheson, declared that our time is "a period of unequalled instability, unequalled violence." Based on what he knew was then going on in the world, it was his conclusion that soon "this world is going to be too dangerous to live in."

(Note: By the time this was published (1981) Dean Acheson's 15 year prediction from 1960 had already expired, so why even mention it?)

6. Changed from: The Truth that Leads to Eternal Life 1968 p.88-89 ch.10

More recently, the book entitled "Famine-1975!" [by W. & P. Paddock, 1967, pp. 52, 55, 61.] said concerning today's food shortages:

"Hunger is rampant throughout country after country, continent after continent around the undeveloped belt of the tropics and subtropics. Today's crisis can move in only one direction - toward catastrophe. Today hungry nations; tomorrow starving nations. By 1975 civil disorder, anarchy, military dictatorships, runaway inflation, transportation breakdowns and chaotic unrest will be the order of the day in many of the hungry nations."

6. Changed to: The Truththat Leads to Eternal Life 1981 p.88-89 ch.10

More recent reports have shown that a constant lack of adequate food, resulting in chronic malnutrition, has become the "major world hunger problem today." The London Times reported:

"There have always been famines, but the scale and ubiquity [presence everywhere] of hunger today is on a totally new scale. . . . Today malnutrition is said to affect more than a thousand million people; perhaps as many as 400 million live constantly on the brink of starvation."-June 3, 1980.

7. Changed from: Revelation Climax (1988) chap. 34 p. 246 par. 1

The John class today also wonders with great wonderment as events unfold in fulfillment of the prophetic vision. If people of the world could see it, they would exclaim, ‘Incredible!’ and the world’s rulers would echo, ‘Unthinkable!’ But the vision becomes a startling 20th-century reality.

7. Changed to: Revelation Climax (1996) chap. 34 p. 246 par. 1

The John class today also wonders with great wonderment as events unfold in fulfillment of the prophetic vision. If people of the world could see it, they would exclaim, ‘Incredible!’ and the world’s rulers would echo, ‘Unthinkable!’ But the vision becomes a startling reality in our day.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I only know of perhaps a couple.

1) The quote about Paul's ministry and that it would be completed "in this 20th Century" -- changed to "our day" or "out time".

2) But seems like there were some changes made in the Live Forever book in the 2nd Edition as well.

Doc

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I have listed changes between "Millennial Dawn"/"Studies in the Scriptures" at:

http://www.jwstudies.com/Changed_MD_and_SS_words.pdf

CTR used the title "Millennial Dawn" because he taught that the Millennium had already dawned (started) in the 1870s. He titled his magazine: "Zion's Watch Tower [future peace in 1914 under the Zionists] and Herald of Christ's Presence [past Parousia in 1874]".

Imagine what would happen to a JW if they started preaching CTR's message. The GB would have that JW - and CTR - booted out pronto.

Doug

• smiddy
    smiddy

I thank you all for your input especially Doug and Splash

smiddy

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

This is great, thanks for all your hard work fellers.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit