Service Meeting Part about Sisters Wearing Head Coverings

by TTATTelder 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This scripture annoyed me no end. According to the rule, a four year old boy would outrank a sister with excellent discipline and Bible skills. The worship of the penis rather than God is what I call Paul's rule. Once upon a time, I studied in an academic commentary what this advice from Paul meant. In fact, I may still have the commentary but those items as packed away.

There may have been a decent reason in the first century Middle East. I recall sisters used to wear hankies on their head if my younger brother was present. Save me, it looked like a large Kotex pad. I can just imagine what a visitor to the KH might think. In my experience, the sisters knew far more than the brothers about doctrine. If they were allowed to serve as humans, the KH would have been so much better.

Hey, a woman is nothing more than a hank of hair and pile of bones. The problem is you can have no children wthout hanks of hair and piles of bones.

Kate, it is very distressing to me that in this day sisters get in trouble for reporting serious felonies to the police.

Some day Paul and I are going to discuss his comments. Get real. Is the quote from a genuine epistle of Paul's? Maybe not. God - She will not be pleased.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My family doctor worked at NYU Medical Center and Bellevue. He loved his Bellevue days. When 9/11 happened, he was in my prayers. The first time I saw him after that day, I asked what happened at Bellevue. Did the systems work? He was Jewish. According to him, things went more smoothly than he expected. They practiced all the time for a mass disaster involving Bellevue's trauma services. There were so many patients and then none. We just stood there in silence, pondering what happened to our city. Well, he said calmly. We are going to invade Afghanistan and send the women to college. New York City will have justice. College educated women!

It was so funny.

• jgnat
    jgnat

In context:

http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/corinthians/veils.stm

I am pretty sure you could even sneak some of this in to a public talk. I've noticed that historical anecdotes are generally well-received.

BTW, I wrote this unveiled.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

WTH?? I never noticed this: " The twentieth-century preaching prophets of Jehovahare the ones who are running to and fro over the Bible to gain knowledge of the divine pronouncements which is on the increase.-Dan. 12:4."

So the GB are false preaching prophets, not false prophets...

DD

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNkkko4vlBs

I can't help but think of George Carlin as I read this thread.
    I also hate when religion oppresses women.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Jgnat,

How dare you post to this forum without a veil? There are men here. Oh, the horror and contamination. I refuse to ask if you are also menstruating. OMG- An unveiled woman with a blood flow!

Men raped women with shaved heads. Rape is not a crime about sexuality but brutal power. Shaving a head leaves the genitals intact on both parties. Infant girls are raped. Women in their 90s are raped. Middle Eastern women in total coverings are raped. The WT taught that women who wore miniskirts or plunging necklines (I did) invited rape. The law prosecutes men, regardless of a woman's headcovering. Prison is prison.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

There was a very funny satire on the head covering rule in the Satire blog Jehovah's Trumpet. I would post a link but I cannot cut and paste any more (some Kindle compatibility thing). If you do a search on Jehovah's Trumphet, it's the one titled "ask a pioneer". It involves a doorstep study and the difficulties involved when an eight year old boy is a baptized publisher and no one has a hat. It's very funny.

It reminded me of someone who said that any well done satire on fundamentalism is indistinguishable from the real thing. It made me cringe to think that I ever took any of this nonsense seriously.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit