What kind of books do you like to read?

by tornapart 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Giordano
    Giordano

I've always read....just about everything. In fact I find that is true of any number of people who eventually leave the 'truth'.

Four books come to mind that helped us get out in the mid 1960's. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

Eric Hoffer's The True Believer who never mentions the JW'S but describes the WTBTS to a tee.

James Michener's The Source which is historic fiction about the Jews centered around one small patch of ground in Israel.

A Canticle For Leibowiz.

In one way or another they each opened my eyes to what I sensed what was wrong about being a JW.

• bohm
    bohm

Best book i have read this year was Steven Pinkers "the better angels of our nature"

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

bohm: I just got that book (The Better Angels of our Nature) in the mail today! Looks intense. I am lookinng forward to it. I also picked up his book How the Mind Works.

tornapart: Is it wierd to think, if I ever ran out of power, I would not have anything to read cause all my books are "virtual"?

:)

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

I love European and Christian history, Christian theology, Western philosophy, World travel, Cookbooks, Gardening. I hate Fiction, to me it seems like a waste of time.

Right now I'm reading "The First Thousand Years - a global history of Christianity" by R.L.Wilken. It's an eye opener. Nothing like the sanitized Christian history that JWs teach (like first Christians were all believing the same things, or there was a centralized GB, or they all went H-t-H, or that they partook only once a year on Nisan 14).

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Mysteries, sicence fiction, kid's books, science written for the layperson, linguistics. I like history books like those by Barbara Tuchman, Thomas Cahill although he tends to rant a bit now and then. Right now I'm reading How to Think About Weird Things, Something from Nothing, A World Lit Only by Fire and some old mysteries by Arthur W. Upfield.

BTW, my sister sent me an ereader, and I have to admit it's convenient. I have seven books on it right now, so convenient to only carry one small reader the size of a book than to drag around seven real books!

• TOTH
    TOTH

Biographies are great reads. I also enjoy books where someone expliores their ideals and life experience. Marcus Aurelius' Meditations is a good example.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Thanks everyone, some really interesting replies!

@NY- I would like to read a book like that, I've not read much about American history. Perhaps I should start with him.

@likeabird- Yes, those are definitely the kind of books I like too.

@Giordano- I've read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Amongst a few others about WWII. One of the books about that era that gripped me was 'I Cannot Forgive' by Rudolph Vrba. He was a young Slovakian Jew who managed to survive for quite a long time in Auschwitz and finally escaped with a detailed report of what the Nazis had planned for the Hungarian Jews. An incredible story.

@bohm+FLN- I'll have to look that book out!

@Hortenzie- I've been wanting to read some good books on early christianity from a purely historical point of view. I'll keep that one in mind.

@Hortensia- I like mysteries but I have to admit that science books leave me cold! LOL If I want to learn anything about science I try and read articles, or else watch some good documentaries instead. I'm thinking about getting a tablet soon. I guess I'd be able to use that as an ereader too wouldn't I?

@TOTH- I've read a little about Marcus Aurelius. I think his philosophy on life is actually quite modern isn't it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit