What kind of books do you like to read?

by tornapart 16 Replies latest jw friends

• tornapart
    tornapart

When I was younger I enjoyed reading thrillers. I've always enjoyed reading history books, particularly of my own country. These days I enjoy reading books from the best seller list. I've noticed recently that my favourite books at the moment are life stories. I'm not so interested in the autobiographies of famous people but of ordinary people who have an amazing story to tell.

So, what are your favourite books to read?

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I love books on Neuroscience, Psychology, Human Behavior and Development, and Theology. I have an entire section of my library dedicated to autobiographies to running athletes (i.e. Dean Karnazes, Alberto Salazar, etc.) I have a couple fiction books, but they are very few (Amy Tan & Carlos Zafron)

I am currently reading "The Witness Wore Red", which about a womans experience with FLDS. Next in line is "Demonic Males: Apes and the Origins of Human Violence".

I guess I am "old fasioned" cause I love a physcial paper book. My friends think I am crazy when they see the extent of my collection that I have not converted to a Nook. I even think they are beautiful on the shelf.

:)

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

me too tornapart I'm liking history very much at the moment - especially histories that take historical figures apart to find out what made them say and do the things they did.

I used to read a lot of thrillers when I was a witness - haven't touched one in the last few years.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

TA: I'm not so interested in the autobiographies of famous people but of ordinary people who have an amazing story to tell.

I read all kinds of things: mysteries, thrillers, historical fiction, as well as a lot of non-fiction.

One book I read recently that you may enjoy is a biograrphy of Louis Zamperini. It is called, Unbroken A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption.

Unbroken

It is a truly amazing story of an ordinary person that did extraordinary things in response to unusual circumstances.

Later I'll post my reading list for the last year.

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

I'm looking at my bookshelf right now and most are about psychology, self-help, human relationships, space exploration, Chinese ancient wisdom, and a lot of foreign language books from European to Asian languages.

• d
    d

I like science, History and philosophy books. I have george orwell,aldous huxley and friedrich nietzsche.

• tornapart
    tornapart

@FLN- I know what you mean about the 'physical books' (as opposed to virtual ones!) There's nothing like having one in your hands and turning the pages and seeing stacks of them on your bookshelves. Unfortuantely, there's never enough room is there?! At least with cyber books you can keep lots of them. Though it's never really quite the same is it?

@Ruby- yes, I love books like that. Historical characters are always so fascinating, especially the ones who have shaped the country we live in now.

@Ouby- that looks like a great read! Thanks

@OND- I like the self-help and human relationship books too. I've got one all about body language.. it's fascinating LOL! And languages too, I've got a pile of various language books, although I've not really mastered any yet LOL!!

@d- I'm half way through Orwell's 1984.. good read!

If anyone else wants to put the name of a book or their favourite shortlist that would be great!

I love reading books about exploration too, so Sir Ranulph Fiennes has been someone at the top of my list. He writes some good thrillers too.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I recently finished all four of Rober Caro's books on LBJ - all 3,200+ pages. The books capture the mood of the country in many of its most tramatic periods.

Few books have captivate my imagination like these books. Highly recommended.

• likeabird
    likeabird

Besides all the books I've had to read for school, I love reading life stories, particularly of people from cultures we may know little above, people who have lived under totalitarian regimes, people who have got over extreme difficulties. Also enjoy various fiction when there is a distinct and unique writing style.

• likeabird
    likeabird

It is a truly amazing story of an ordinary person that did extraordinary things in response to unusual circumstances.

Even more amazing is the story of the person who wrote the book. I read her first book, so will probably read this one some time too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit