Help! Recipes Needed

by patio34 20 Replies latest social physical

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

LMAO@ISP

Pat, sorry to hear about the health problems . I was going to give you my recipe for southern potato soup but Seven's sounds even better! Hope things look up for you in the near future.

Dana

• Seven
    Seven

Hey Dana, I left the SPAM out of that recipe.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

One of my favorites is French onion soup

1/4 cup margarine
    3 onions, thinly sliced
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 cups water
    1/2 cup red wine
    2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
    1 French baguette
    8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese

Directions
    1 Melt butter or margarine in a 4 quart saucepan. Stir in sugar. Cook onions over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
    2 Stir in flour until well blended with the onions and pan juices. Add water, wine, and beef broth; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover soup, and simmer for 10 minutes.
    3 Cut four 1 inch thick slices of bread from the loaf. Toast the bread slices at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) just until browned, about 10 minutes. Reserve the remaining bread to serve with the soup.
    4 Ladle soup into four 12 ounce, oven-safe bowls. Place 1 slice toasted bread on top of the soup in each bowl. Fold Swiss cheese slices, and fit onto toasted bread slices. Place soup bowls on a cookie sheet for easier handling.
    5 Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10 minutes, or just until cheese is melted

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • WildHorses
    WildHorses

I also like homemade vegetable soup but I make that without a recipe. I just use all the leftover vegetable from dinners throughout the week(I freeze them) then add evrything together with canned tomatoes and sometime add a bit of chicken. Season with bay leaf,garlic, salt and a table spoon of sugar to cut the acid and simmer till done. Taste great.

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • safe4kids
    safe4kids

Seven! BTW, fixed some SPAM for the kids as you suggested...let's just say that it wasn't a smashing success LOLOL

Dana

• ballistic
    ballistic

If there was one thing God designed to go into soup - it is asparagus. I get the "cup-a-soup" variety being a "bachelor" (LOL). Asparagus soup is lovely.

p.s. fed up with those crutons that come in cup a soups? Well so am! I scoop 'em out before I start and add a dask of worcestershire sauce instead.

• waiting
    waiting

lol - I like Progresso soups, almost so homey.......you'd think I actually cooked! ha.

Best I do is throw everything I can think of in the crock pot (veggies, some beef, beer & can of broth.) Bay leaf, s&p - and voila! 'bout 10 hrs later, good soup.

Oh! and those little jiffy boxes of cornbread go perfect. Actually, I used to cook quite healthy when my kids were little. Breads, etc. Now? Rather garden.

Glad you got some good receipes, Pat!

waiting

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks all! These recipes sound great! Safe4kids, thanks for the sympathy. It's not that big of deal as long as i follow a pretty strict diet. BUT ice cream is just fine (yum!)

I'm saving this whole thread, printing it, and using the recipes. Today, i made beef & barley vegetable broth, with red wine added. The wine gives it a really robust character.

Thanks all!

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

OMG Valis! That pumpkin soup sounds wonderful. Gonna give that a try.

Thanks for posting the recipe.

Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity. Lord Acton 1834-1902

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hey Pat,

Red wine gives me a pretty robust character too So I switched to beer

Dana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit