Help! Recipes Needed

by patio34 20 Replies latest social physical

• patio34
    patio34

Hi all,

This is a request for favorite soup recipes. Due to a digestive health problem, I can't eat many solid foods. I'll be making up soup broths, etc. all the time. But I don't have many recipes. It's too broad of a subject to search for on the Net, it seems. Seasonings don't bother my stomach.

So, what's your favorite soup? And seasonings? I have to strain out the vegetables, but like flavorable soups.

Thanks!

• Valis
    Valis

I love this soup...any time of year.

CARIBBEAN PUMPKIN SOUP

3 ½- 4 pounds fresh cooking pumpkins, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks OR
    4 15 ounce cans pumpkin meat
    ½ cup butter (1 stick)
    ½ cup olive oil
    1 medium onion, diced
    3 cloves of garlic, diced
    1 serrano chile, stemmed and diced
    3 tablespoons (2 ounces) peeled and diced fresh ginger root
    12 whole allspice berries
    2 fresh bay leaves or 3 dried
    1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
    1 teaspoon cumin powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    ½ cup of flour
    2 quarts rich chicken or vegetable broth
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 cups heavy cream

Garnish: spicy curry and cinnamon toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped fresh cilantro, Mexican marigold or tarragon leaves

Heat the butter and oil in a large pot. Saute the onion, garlic, chile, ginger and all seasonings until onion is wilted. Add the pumpkin meat, sautéing over medium heat until lightly browned. Toss with the flour, stirring to coat vegetables well. Continue to sauté, stirring occasionally, until pumpkin is very tender. Remove bay leaves. Stir in Worcestershire and taste for seasoning. Remove from heat and let cool at least one hour.

Puree in batches in blender until smooth. Return to a large pot, stir in heavy cream and reheat slowly. Ladle into bowls, garnish as desired, and serve.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• ISP
    ISP

I like mushroom soup. I get mine out of a can.

ISP

• patio34
    patio34

Valis, That sounds like a wonderful soup! Pumpkin is my all-time favorite flavor too! I'll be trying that one out this week!

ISP, thanks for answering!

• Celia
    Celia

Lentil soup.
    Cook the lentils (cover with water) with diced carrots, celery, some onion, some tomato sauce, salt and pepper, one basil leaf, one or two cloves of garlic. Until tender. Take the bay leaf out.
    pass through a food mill if you like (I like mine with chunks, so I don't pass it through the mill. If you like, cook some salt pork with it, or add cooked italian sausage.

• Seven
    Seven

Hi Pat,

A few of my favorites:

Cucumber and Potato Soup

Ingredients:
    1 Cucumber; medium
    4 Potatoes;med, peel and dice
    1 ts Salt
    2 c Water; cold
    1/4 ts Pepper; white
    1 c Cream; heavy
    1/2 c Milk
    1 Green onion; grated
    1 ts Dillweed; dried or
    1 tb Fresh dill; chopped
    Instructions:
    Peel the cucumber and slice it lengthwise.
    Scoop out seeds with a sponn and discard.
    Dice cucumber.
    In a heavy 2 1/2-quart saucepan boil potatoes in salted water until the potatoes are very soft.
    Pour potatoes and cooking liquid into a sieve or food mill set over a large bowl.
    Force potatoes through.
    Return to the saucepan.
    Stir in pepper, cream, milk, grated onion and the cucumber.
    Simmer gently about 5 minutes or until the cucumber is tender.
    Add dill and season to taste.
    Serve hot.
    -----------------------------------------
    Leek And Potato Soup

Ingredients:
    3 tb Butter
    3 c Minced leeks
    3 tb Flour
    4 c To 6 c hot water
    1 ts Salt
    Pepper to taste
    4 c Potatoes
    1/3 To 1/2 cup heavy cream

Instructions:
    Melt butter over medium heat.
    Stir in leeks.
    Cover and cook slowly for 5 minutes without browning.
    Blend in flour, stir over medium heat for 2 minutes to cook flour without browning.
    Remove from heat and let cool gradually.
    Beat in 1 cup water and blend thouroughly with flour and leeks, stir in rest of water, stir in salt, pepper and potatoes; bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat and simmer, partly covered, for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, remove from heat, add cream.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Oyster Bisque

Ingredients:
    6 T Butter
    1/2 c Diced onion
    1/4 c Diced carrot
    1 qt Shucked oysters; with liquor
    4 c Fish stock
    1 1/2 c White rice
    1 t Salt; plus salt to taste
    2 c Heavy cream
    1 x Black fresh ground pepper to
    1 x Few dashes tabasco sauce

Instructions:
    This is a rich , lovely cream bisque that is delicately flavored with sauteed vegetables and the oyster's own liquor.
    Note that the bisque is Briefly cooked at the end to preserve the integrity of the oysters.
    Whipped cream and Cayenne pepper for garnish * some use the new White Worchestershire sauce instead of the tabasco and a shake of New Orleans seasoning from Paul Pruhomme.
    ( variation) In a cast iron skillet melt the butter and saute the onion, celery and carrot 5 to ten minutes.
    Drain oysters, reserving the liquor, chop 3 or 4 oysters and set the remaining oysters aside .
    Add the chopped oysters to the skillet and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
    In a pot, bring the stock to a boil.
    Add the rice one tsp of salt and the contents of the skillet.
    Reduce the heat and simmer 40 minutes.
    Press the soup through a fine sieve.
    Return to the pot and place over the heat.
    Add the cream and reduced oyster liquid Season with salt, fresh pepper( Black) and Tabasco or variation.
    Add the reserved oysters and heat briefly until the edges of the oysters begin to curl.
    Serve bisque in bowls.
    Garnish each serving with a dollop of chilled cream and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper.
    Annapolitans are known to add a taste of dry sherry to this.
    -----------------------------------------

Seafood Chowder (Just toss it all in the blender after cooking if you can't eat solids-this is pretty good stuff.)

Ingredients:
    1 md Onion; minced
    1 tb Butter
    1 1/2 ts Thyme
    1 1/4 ts Celery salt
    2 c Whipping cream
    9 oz Haddock or halibut fillets
    6 oz Scallops; chopped
    3 oz Lobster meat; cooked &
    -chopped
    3/4 c Sour cream
    3 Potatoes; peeled, cooked and
    -diced
    1 1/4 c Milk
    1 ts -salt
    1/2 ts -pepper
    Paprika for garnish
    Instructions:
    "A traditional Atlantic chowder is made with fish or shellfish, canned milk, potatoes, onions and is served with a dollop of butter.
    This version, which comes from a Nova Scotia fisherman and uses sour cream, fresh cream and thyme, is quite different and very good.
    When reheated leftover chowder, it may be necessary to add a little more milk or cream, because the fish and potatoes will have absorbed some of the liquid.
    " Cook the onion in the butter until transparent.
    Add the thyme and celery salt.
    Remove from heat.
    In a saucepan, pour the whipping cream over the fish fillets.
    Cover, bring to a boil and simmer slowly for 10 minutes or till the fish flakes easily.
    Remove the fish with a slotted spoon, then break into small pieces and remove any bones.
    Add the onion mixture and the scallops to the poaching liquid.
    Bring to barely a boil, then simmer for about 1 minute or till the scallops are opaque.
    If the chowder is not to be eaten immediately, refrigerate everything at this stage.
    Just before serving, add the fish, lobster, sour cream, potatoes and milk.
    Heat through, but do not allow to boil.
    Season with salt and pepper.
    Ladle into soup bowls.
    Sprinkle with paprika.
    Serve immediately.

• ISP
    ISP

Hey no problem.., Pat. Always like to help and stuff...

ISP

• riz
    riz

hi pat,

this is one of my favorites. i pureed the ingredients in my food processor so that i had an even consistency. it's really good. enjoy!

chicken bisque

3-pound stewing hen
    16 cups water
    3 T. salt
    1/2 C. melted butter
    1 C. flour
    1/2 C. chopped chicken (taken from above)
    1/2 C. chopped pimientos
    1/2 C. blanched red bell pepper
    1 tsp. monosodium glutamate
    1/2 tsp. pepper

Boil the stewing hen in water with salt until tender. Strain off 8 cups of stock. Make a roux of the butter and flour. Add strained stock and simmer 15 minutes. Carve 1/2 cup chicken and add to mixture. Add remaining ingredients, stiring constantly until heated. Serve at once. mmmmmmmmmmm :)

• riz
    riz

here's another good one :)

Winter Tomato Soup

1 cube butter
    2 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    1 tsp. thyme
    1 tsp. basil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 2-pound, 3-ounce can Italian tomatoes
    3 Tablespoons tomato paste
    3 3/4 cups chicken broth, divided
    4 Tablespoons flour
    1 tsp. granulated sugar
    1 cup cream (heavy or half and half)

In saucepan melt butter and add olive oil, onion, thyme, basil, and salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until onions wilt. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer 10 minutes. Blend together 5 Tablespoons of the chicken broth with the flour. Add this to soup, stir, then add rest of broth. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning. Puree soup in blender. Return to heat. Add sugar and cream. Simmer 5 more minutes.

• ISP
    ISP

Pat.....mine takes 2 mins in the microwave.

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit