Why not be totally free from it all?

by braincleaned 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

So many of you here have suffered from the Borg and it's twisted and ever-changing teachings.
    Some of us turned atheists, others hold on to Jehovah God and his son Jesus.

Both have — and still suffer — from all the lies, the mind-control, the loss of individuality to conform to the cult.

May I offer a personal observation, for which I could be totally wrong, and would welcome rectification if I am.

As some of you know, I became an atheist long before I questioned the Borg… which at first, I still considered a loving "mother".
    My aha! moment was thru my ardent personal study; and the issue I battled with was nothing else than God's character.

Now, before I continue, please be aware that I have hated God until I was convinced he was a figment of the imagination and folklore in human literature.
    Many of you here may cringe at these words, and I do apologize if I seem to be insulting — as I would hate to be guilty of that.
    I am just sharing my perspective, and believe me, I have suffered immensely thru the process leading to this conclusion.
    My strong bias was for Jehovah, and I have cut off some worldly friends at the time, simply for insulting my God.

Having said this, at one point, I had to face my cognitive dissonance.
    I hope my sharing this opens up a door for others.
    These are some of the points I had trouble with:

• If God is the creator of life and the Universe — why the cruelty in Nature?
    What does the cruel natural Circle of Life say about God's character, since
    he could have curbed the demography of species thru other means than bloody
    killings and life feeding off other lives?

• We know that 98% of known species have now gone extinct — How does a perfect
    creator justify such a waste of life?

• MAIN ISSUE for me is the claim that "God is Love" — while the above questions
    clearly show that 'creation' in not engineered by love, but by a violent fight for survival.

These three points go much further in the analysis. But as pithy as this questioning is, it obligates all of us to face our cognitive dissonance… at least one can hope it does.

I will only hint on the contradictions believers face in rationalizing the morality of a god that boasts of jealousy and vengeance; also guilty of genocide and promoting/legalizing slavery. Nobody in their sane moral sense could excuse stoning a teen to death because — oh surprise — he is rebellious to his parents. Nobody should find it moral to stone to death gays. Yet, Jesus himself, boasted the perfection of the Mosaic Law in Matthew 5.
    This makes me want to puke.

The day that started my hell as an apostate is when I told my wife, and the elders, that I was done finding excuses for Jehovah, who clearly identifies himself in the Bible as a monster — even Satan's rap sheet has less crimes to defend… in God's own book!

So this is a very succinct story of my atheism and freedom from the Borg.
    Maybe, just maybe, it will hit a chord with those knowing deep in their heart that such a deity is more than a toxic superstition.

If you want to free yourself, FREE yourself.
    Trusting Reality is better than keeping such a belief, just because we have invested too long in religion.

Love & Peace!
    ;)
    Vince.

_____

"You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run."
    ~Kenny Rogers (the Gambler)

• adamah
    adamah

BC said-

The day that started my hell as an apostate is when I told my wife, and the elders, that I was done finding excuses for Jehovah, who clearly identifies himself in the Bible as a monster — even Satan's rap sheet has less crimes to defend… in God's own book!

LOL, so true.

It's like a basketball game where the better team completely trounces the clearly-inferior team, and they then 'run up' the score. After a certain point, it just becomes a sign of bad sportsmanship.

Adam

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Ah, you sound like an Atheistic Evangelist some will say, wanting all to appreciate your "Good News" as you appreciate it. And, if all would, and could, I personally think it would be a good thing.

But some seem to have an emotional need for the fuzzy, warm feeling that belief in an imaginary Sky-daddy gives them.

What I myself would like to be free from is any lingering interest in things WT/JW at all. The problem is that I simply cannot make myself leave this Site, I am addicted to it !

I think if I did manage to overcome my addiction to JWN, the memory of things WT/JW would fade very fast.

Maybe I will manage it, I managed three days without booze this week ! (I won't make that mistake again, it was not easy !)

Cheers !

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Good post. And I of course agree....

I don't know what it is about religion, I guess its that getting a great deal kind of thing, everybody loves a bargain.

Give up 70-80 years now, live forever in heaven, earth or wherever later. What a deal!

PT Barnum said it best...

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Good logic my friend. You ask fair questions. If a person was to consider the other side and explain why they feel otherwise it would be productive to do it in a realtime conversation IMO.

• whathappened
    whathappened

You will get no argument from me, my dear.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

"But some seem to have an emotional need for the fuzzy, warm feeling that belief in an imaginary Sky-daddy gives them."

Love you Phizzy! You said it worse than I did! LOL!
    LostGeneration, Phizzy said it all above. right?! ;)

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Absolutely RayPublisher!
    I would love to get the coversation going... I realize it's a touchy subject.
    I also realize we need to deal anyway we can to survive the Borg. So my opinion and reasoning is from my vantage point.
    Perspectives change from where everyone's vantage point is.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

LOL! Good analogy adamah! :D

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I would acknowledge in all honesty that I am preaching here.
    I do it for the same reasons I did as a JW; because I sincerely believe everyone would be better off — in this case, without the Abrahamic God.
    I have discussed before that I simply "don't know" that there is a superior intelligence that may have been the source of life.
    However, as my OP argues, I KNOW it's no loving creator!
    To say otherwise would be a grave portrayal of bad faith... and voluntary blinding of self in front of the observable evidence.

I have the passion of my convictions — and my convictions are open to change upon more complete information.
    Anyone claiming to "know" truth and preemptively refuses to change ever, is a person oblivious to the ridicule they deserve.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit