Florida teacher suspended over [JW] kids’ Pledge of Allegiance

by AndersonsInfo 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

Irony aside, the teacher's well-meaning but misjudged coercion of a student in her charge has rightly resulted in her temporary suspension. How dare she say that anyone who refuses to place their hand on their heart should leave the country.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The teacher should be fired. I hope the family sues the district. How dare a public employee define civics and rights. School districts and courts define rights. If the student victim were a college student, it would not be so harmful. The kid was more American than the teacher.

• mind blown
    mind blown

besty

Good to see you Barbara!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Oubliette: That teacher clearly acted inappropriately.

Damn straight! I'm a teacher, and to me that's like forcing a Muslim girl to take off her hijab in class. You just wouldn't do it. It's extremely unprofessional to push your views onto a student and humiliate them. The classroom needs to be an environment where all kids feel safe and respected, no matter what the teacher's beliefs are. A teacher aide over here lost his job for going rank at the JW kids because they wouldn't go to the Anzac Day parade. It was none of his business, and school staff must respect student diversity.

I know JWs don't give the same quarter as the education system does, but as an educator I say teachers need to lead the way in respecting diversity, irrespective of what they personally believe.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

This whole business about children standing and putting the hand on the hearts and saying the pledge reminds me of youth in Hitler's day. They stood and placed their arms up and Heiled Hitler.

NCO said "Much as I disagree with the JW mindset of taking advantage of the freedom we have in this country without being a part of ensuring we retain that freedom"

With you wearing military colors, I am assuming you are referring to the military as that which part that retains the freedoms.

But you are wrong. The military does nothing to protect our freedoms. They eliminate bad people. It is the ACLU, the lawyers, the judges, the legislators and the people that protect the freedoms. They also are the ones taking it away.

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

It's because we live in a country with freedoms that we can all practice whatever religion we want to. The teacher was out of line, clearly, but I feel bad for the child. I remember being picked on all of the time because of this as a child.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit