Florida teacher suspended over [JW] kids’ Pledge of Allegiance

by AndersonsInfo 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.azcentral.com/news/free/20131106florida-teacher-suspended-over-kids-pledge-allegiance.html?odyssey=obnetwork

Associated Press Wed Nov 6, 2013 3:34 PM

SPRING HILL, Fla. — A Florida school district has suspended a teacher after requiring a fourth grade Jehovah’s Witness to participate in the Pledge of Allegiance.

The Tampa Tribune (http://bit.ly/1arwmoM) reports that the Hernando County School Board recently concluded an investigation.

The student, who is Jehovah’s Witness and prohibited by the religion from worshiping objects, refused on religious grounds, the investigation found.

Officials said teacher Anne Daigle-McDonald twice placed the student’s hand over his heart when the class recited the pledge.

The student told McDonald during the incident that Jehovah’s Witnesses do not worship objects, and that he stood during the Pledge of Allegiance out of respect for the country, but was not permitted by his religion to place his hand over his heart, according to the investigation.

After the student informed McDonald of this, McDonald went to the front of the class and said, “If you don’t want to say the pledge, you still have to put your hand on your heart and if you don’t want to do that, you should move out of the country,” according to the report.

The report also shows McDonald said something about there not being a religion that prohibits doing the pledge, according to the investigation.

The district says that McDonald violated a host of state education rules, professional conduct principles and the student’s right to free speech and freedom of religion. Several other students in the class corroborated the allegations, according to the investigation.

McDonald was removed from student contact, and placed on alternative assignment on Sept. 12.

While speaking to administrators at the school on that date, McDonald said she thought the religion applied only to holidays, but said she did not attempt to contact the student’s parents for clarification, according to the report.

The investigation showed that she also said she didn’t think it was good practice to regularly place hands on students, and that she feels strongly as a citizen of the United States that one should show respect to the flag.

Superintendent Lori Romano ordered McDonald be suspended five days without pay, reported the incident to Florida Department of Education and ordered McDonald provide proof of completion of diversity training.

• adamah
    adamah

Thanks for the update, Barbara.

That's a good reminder to all that opposing JWs doesn't give anyone the right to trample applicable state laws and the constitution, since doing so will only back-fire.

Adam

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

That teacher clearly acted inappropriately. However, I find it more than a little ironic that JWs will insist on their rights in situations like this but the GB/FDS can coerce their members to shun those that disagee with them.

I really have come to hate this religion. The hypocrisy of the WT leaders seem to know no bounds.

• besty
    besty

Yep - they love freedom of religion, until you want to leave.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

^^^Its freedom of religion.....not freedom of person in said religion.

• Etude
    Etude

I don't even look at that as soley a religious problem but as a constitutional infringement on several levels. It’s like forcing Quakers to take up arms or sanctioning prayer in school. I know those are separate issues. But, it’s the idea of infringement that they have in common. It even involves speech rights, since speech is not always spoken while in the process of expressing your views. The teacher was out-of-line.

• designs
    designs

Yes the teacher was out of line. Maybe an official reprimand would have been enough unless there was a history of harassing children from different beliefs.

• adamah
    adamah

PA said-

Its freedom of religion.....not freedom of person in said religion.

Yup, the WTBTS fights for freedom of speech to engage in their collective rights, but when it comes to defending their member's rights to freedom of thought OR freedom of speech to voice disagreement with the GB? We all know how THAT one plays out....

Adam

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

The investigation showed that she also said she didn’t think it was good practice to regularly place hands on students, and that she feels strongly as a citizen of the United States that one should show respect to the flag.

Oh...well...as long as she feels strongly about it, I guess that's okay. Next week, I hear they're going to be making flaming pentagrams using lighter fluid.

• NCO
    NCO

The teacher was WAY out of line. Much as I disagree with the JW mindset of taking advantage of the freedom we have in this country without being a part of ensuring we retain that freedom, they are well within their right to abstain from saying the Pledge of Allegiance and no JW child should ever be punished for doing what he or she is taught by JW parents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit