"They're only human!" (the most common defence of the Governing Body)

by Watchtower-Free 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Watchtower-Free
  • piztjw
    piztjw

Seeming mistakes? Something is either a mistake, or it isn't. A "seeming" mistake would be like a woman being a little bit pregnant. It isn't possible.

And what about apostate propaganda? Would that be teaching something that is completely opposite what is taught as "truth"? Like say teaching that only a handful of humans are the FDS while ignoring any who a bare short year ago would have been DF'd for teaching that very thing?

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

JW's have put their trust in the Governing Body and in the son of earthling man, to whom salvation belongs....Psalm 146:3.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

They are human...when on their own they may think bad thoughts, say wrong things etc like any other sinful creature...

HOWEVER, as a GROUP they claim to be God's Channel and they CAN NEVER fall foul to being wrong so whenever they come together and the Holy Spirit guides them, then, as a GROUP, they will never be wrong.

*Checks the history of the WT*

Hmmmmmmmm seems their claim to be God's Channel is false.

In summary, yes they are men and when acting like men/husbands they are imperfect but when acting as the GB/FDS they can never be wrong UNLESS God/HS is wrong...

• KateWild
    KateWild

Nice video Cedars, thanks WF for link

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

marked

• Ding
    Ding

I have no problem with the GB being human.

And since we are not to be following men, let's not follow them.

• TheListener
    TheListener

If they're only human they don't have a right to disfellowship anyone and consider them cutoff from God and friends.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If I am fallible and wish to use that as an excuse, that blows whatever claim I have to the right for everyone to be required to agree with me. If I can make mistakes, and someone sees those mistakes, it would be to my advantage to honestly look into those errors and fix them as soon as possible, and then get the corrections out at once. And not throw a hissy fit if others apply the corrections before I put them out. Also, if I make an even worse mistake, others have the right to point out that it is even worse. Let that happen too often, and others have the right to detach themselves from my viewpoints. All this requires research, and members are going to find mistakes in the belief system.

Now, I understand that the truth has been suppressed. I understand that it is difficult to extract the truth, that it is easy to screw up and put out something that is not quite right, or even to make several mistakes before the actual truth comes out. However, banning others from researching and applying corrections before I find them is inexcusable. Requiring people to apply the bad teaching until I fix it means everyone is stuck with the bad interpretation. On the other hand, if you do your own research, you might be able to avoid disaster.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

In my experience, I find the Watchtower Organization is much like the military. If you have an issue with an order there is a chain of command to deal with it. In most cases you are free to have doubts, do your own research and draw your own conclusions. The problem occurs when you start sharing those doubts, research and conclusions outside of the chain of command. If you start sharing them with your peers and underminining your superiors you're going to get kicked out for insubordination(i.e. disfellowshipped). However, if you bing them up to the BOE privately and go through the correct channels you're usually good to go, and the usual reply is you just need to be patient. Of course this is not always the case as some men let their pride get the best of them, and you risk being made an example of for actually thinking. A thing that is supposedly encouraged by both the military and the WBTS, but also feared and quashed through indoctrination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit