Did you suffer humiliating childhood experiences as a JW?

by yadda yadda 2 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

In John Cedar's (jwsurvey.org) latest excellent article on his blog about a US teacher that got reprimanded for trying to force a JW boy to salute the American flag, he relates a similar childhood experience where he was terribly humiliated at school in view of his classmates.

This reminded me of a similar humiliating experience I suffered at school, when I was 11 years old. During our school's end of year 'prom night' (not actually called that in the country I live) which was in the style of a disco night, my unbalanced JW mother came to pick me up early and stormed right into the hall and grabbed my arm and pulled me out in front of all my friends right in the middle of the dancing. On the way out she gave the teachers a lecture about the music being far too loud and how unwholesome the whole thing was for children of my age. All the kids had stopped dancing and gathered to watch this going on, while I stood there looking down wishing the earth would just open and swallow me up. Can you imagine how humiliated I felt? I remember being so livid with my mother (my father was never a JW) that, even at that young age, standing up to her and saying if she even did anything like that again I won't go to any more meetings. That really scared her and she never tried another stunt like that again. She did actually apologise to me many years later for it.

Did you experience anything similar? Please share your experience.

Here is John Cedar's experience from his blog:

I grew up as a Witness myself, and can remember only too well being involved in a similar incident with a teacher when I was only about seven years old.

On the day in question, my teacher asked my class to take part in coloring in a poster advertizing the school’s upcoming Christmas Fair. I knew instantly that I wasn’t allowed to do this as a Witness, and that my parents would be unhappy if I were to participate in something that promoted what I understood to be a pagan celebration.

When I respectfully told my teacher that I couldn’t do it, she stood me infront of the entire class saying, “[John] doesn’t want to help the school!” As punishment, I was made to stand outside in the winter by myself, in a courtyard overlooked by my schoolmates.

When I came home and told my parents, they were infuriated. They drove to the school to take the matter up with the teacher. I can’t remember whether an apology was given, but I certainly remember this story being proudly told countless times thereafter as an example of me standing up for my beliefs in the face of persecution.

• zeb
    zeb

why oh why do adults take out their frustrations on kids.? They are such cowards.

• Violia
    Violia

I grew up when kids had few rights. Teachers could do just about anything and seldom were there any repercussions . I had a teacher in 2nd grade who knew we did not celebrate Xmas but she wanted to shame and humiliate me in front of the class. She made me get up and tell everyone what I got for Xmas. My dad would hide something in a closet and give it to us the day before Xmas) I got one doll. The class laughed at me . It hurt. There are so many more stories but they are all similar, being singled out around holidays and patriotic days. I recall punishments such as detentions and standing in the hall and just plain being humiliated in class. It was not that far from the end of WW2 and folks just plain hated jws down here.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Yadda - Your question should be are there any JWs who didnt' suffer from humiliating childhood experiences.

If so, I'd like to know how they got away with it.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I'm a teacher and I couldn't imagine a teacher doing anything like that these days where I live. We have to respect diversity and professionally aren't allowed to push our personal views. At one of the schools at which I work, a teacher aide screamed and ranted at all the JW kids in the school for not going to the ANZAC Day parade, and he lost his job over it because you're not supposed to go on like that. Things must be really different here and now because the things Cedars and some of you others experienced- hey, Cedars is the same age as me, and I remember when I was in school the JW kids didn't get hassled by the teachers or humiliated in front of the class, they were allowed to politely decline Christmas and other religious activities and do their own thing. I only know because when I sat religious things out as an atheist child, we all ended up together, while the other kids did their things. No humiliation, no disrespect.

And now in 2013 as a teacher myself I find it's the same. Seriously, any teacher who humiliates a kid because of his or her religious upbringing is not only extremely unprofessional, but also runs the risk of losing his/her job. As the experience with the angry teacher aide over ANZAC Day illustrates, that sort of thing is very rare here to the point that it cost this man his job. Perhaps we Australians are more laid back than English or American teachers, and more professional.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I had a teacher who privately told me I was going to burn in hell for my beliefs one time. 3rd or 4th grade. I can't remember a teacher publicly humiliating me. Peers plenty of times, but I think every kid has that happen a few times regardless of whether or not it's based on religion.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I felt humiliated in First grade because I had no Santy Claus present to bring to school for show and tell.

After we came back to school when the holidays were over,

my teacher said we could each bring in one of our gifts the next day. I felt in a panic.

I was going to be publicly humiliated.

How was I going to handle this?

That summer, I had received a present from family friends who had gone to Europe

and brought me back a little doll dressed in a German or Swiss costume.

I got it out, and hid it by my shoes overnight. I also found a large paper grocery bag to hide it in

as I took it to school, the next day.

I can still feel the humiliation I felt, in class, when I looked down into my paper grocery bag,

and knew I was going to lie and say this is what I got for Christmas, when in reality we did not celebrate,

I did not get any gifts, and the doll I took out was given to me by JW"S in the summer time.

I felt horrible about the whole thing.

LoisLane

That happened 57 years ago.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Aggghhh. I remember in Kindergarten, the teacher, Mrs. Barajas, coming up to me during the flag salute (I stood with the rest, arms at sides) and jerked my right arm up and slapped it on my chest angrily. I was totally mortified.

Holidays....................Glee Club..............Shudder

When I was about 7, myself and another little girl went to a door (why the hell were two little girls probably no more than 7 and 10 alone at the door??) and a lady came to the window that looked over the porch and literally screamed at us "you should be ashamed of yourselves". I was. My stomach still gets knots when I think of that one.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Did you suffer humiliating childhood experiences as a JW?

Of course I did. That is a self-answering question.

Farkel

• designs
    designs

All of the flag issue stuff was humiliating, do we stand for the national anthem if we're already standing for the color guard, it was confusing. Getting hauled out of school assemblies for all of this nonsense by the vice principal was really special

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit