Satan thrown to earth "about" 1914?

by wearewatchingyouman 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• minimus
    minimus

Jehovah knows best!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Yes... apparently World War I was started by 'Satan' to 'turn attention' away from something that supposedly happened 'invisibly' in 'heaven', which no one would have noticed anyway because nothing actually happened. (How very crafty. ) Once again, Watch Tower comes through with 'brilliant' 'logic'.

Moreover, Satan was turning attention away from something that he didn't know was going to happen*, that both the world and the Bible Students were oblivious to because a) it was invisible (as you said) and b) the BSs thought it had already occurred invisibly in 1878!

---

* w51 11/15 p. 703 Questions From Readers

These former sons of God could not return to Jehovah’s service had they wanted to; they remained with their chosen master, Satan, and became his demon hordes. They were now imprisoned in dense darkness, alienated from God, in the dark as to his purposes, with a dark end ahead of them, all of which is well pictured by Tartarus. (See 2 Peter 2:4, NW, and appendix note thereon.)

* w55 10/1 p. 599 par. 22 Part 3—What Do the Scriptures Say About “Survival After Death”?

Satan and these other imprisoned spirits are still in the Biblical Tartarus and its dense darkness regarding God’s favor and his purposes.

† ZWT March 1, 1913, p. 70 [R5193]

Even though the kingdom may be considered as begun from the time the King began the exercise of his great power (Rev. 11:17) in 1878, it will not be "set up," in the full sense of the word, until the last member of the kingdom has been changed or glorified--until the breaking of the Loaf, The Christ, Head and body, is completed.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

AnnOMaly - How'd they explain away that change back then? 1878 to 1914? I've never ran across that li'l nugget. I've known that they originall taught the parousia occured in 1878, but never thought to research how they managed to explain the change to 1914 until just now.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Ephesians 1:20-23

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

God’s Power in Christ

20 He demonstrated this power in the Messiah by raising Him from the dead and seating Him at His right hand in the heavens— 21 far above every ruler and authority, power and dominion, and every title given, [ a ] not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And He put everything under His feet [ b ] and appointed Him as head over everything for the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of the One who fills all things in every way.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Satan was thrown down in the first century Jesus him self said so;

John 12:29-32

29 The crowd standing there heard it and said it was thunder. Others said that an angel had spoken to Him.

30 Jesus responded, “This voice came, not for Me, but for you. 31 Now is the judgment of this world. Now the ruler of this world will be cast out. 32 As for Me, if I am lifted up [ a ] from the earth I will draw all people to Myself.”

Then all power and authority was given to Jesus again in the first century,

Ephesians 1:20-23

God’s Power in Christ

20 He demonstrated this power in the Messiah by raising Him from the dead and seating Him at His right hand in the heavens— 21 far above every ruler and authority, power and dominion, and every title given, [ a ] not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And He put everything under His feet [ b ] and appointed Him as head over everything for the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of the One who fills all things in every way.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

watching,

Parousia 1874. Installation as king 1878. Armageddon 1914.

It mostly got revamped in Ratherflawed's tenure as WTS president during the '20s and '30s. After all, 1914 didn't pan out as expected, Russell died, and what was supposed to have been a visible power grab by Jesus over the world had to be reinterpreted, spiritualized.

Sometimes old dates would be phased out gradually; sometimes he or another writer just declared a new one, often prefacing it all with 'Jehovah reveals His purposes and secrets to his people at the right time, blah, blah' and making new scriptural/prophetic interpretations.

The 1878 thing was replaced with 1914 in the 1920s. I've put links in so you access the whole articles and follow the 'reasoning' for yourself

w24, 2/15, p. 57

The Lord has been present since 1874, but not until 1914 did he take unto himself his power and reign.

w27, 5/15, p. 152

It pleased God to cause a prophetic statement to be recorded whereby the followers of Christ on earth could locate the time when he would begin action against the Devil, and the fulfilment of this prophecy shows that it took place in 1914. It is written in the Scriptures, as relating to the same time, that "the nations were angry". The Gentile Times ended in 1914, and the nations were then angry, and it was the Lord’s due time to take possession and oust Satan. Seeing then that the Scriptures conclusively prove that the Lord Jesus Christ did not take his great power and begin his reign in 1878, but that he did so in 1914, it follows that the resurrection of the sleeping saints did not take place in 1878.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

minimus:

Yes, by March 26, 1918 he was hurled to the earth and he was actually thrown out Oct. 1 or 2 1914 meaning it took a long time for Satan to finally get down here!

I like the comical picture that paints. (Maybe it took so long because of the interconnecting flights from the Pleiades cluster to Earth.)

But they don't actually say he was thrown out on Oct 1/2 1914. They say 'war broke out' then, and then 'some time' after that but before March 26 1918, Satan was actually 'thrown out'. In reality, none of it makes any sense whatsoever, so it's probably best not to overthink it.

• processor
    processor

Maybe it took so long because of the interconnecting flights from the Pleiades cluster to Earth.

Indeed! See here: http://www.svhelden.info/witchtower/2012/05/jehovahs-word-keeps-moving-speedily/

Satan does not consist of light but has a weight; thus, he cannot fall with light speed. According to a rough estimate, an object of a devil’s weight can reach about one tenth of light speed. Thus, the journey from Maia which is 373 light years away to the earth would take 3730 years; he would arrive in the year 3763. – Rev. 12:12.

http://www.svhelden.info/witchtower/2012/08/the-lake-of-fire-a-symbol-of-everlasting-destruction/

The devil is approaching from the Pleiades, probably from Maia, to the earth, at approx. 620 Million mph. The Space Shuttle enters earth’s atmosphere with approx. 16,000 mph, yet it heats itself up to 2400 °C or 4350 °F. The devil, who is approaching with approx. 40,000 times the speed of the Space Shuttle, will surely reach a much higher temperature.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I guess the 1927 Watchtower quote kindly provided by Ann above is the first time this was spelled out to Ratherflaweds followers.

What happened to the promise of Amos "For the Sovereign Lord Jehovah will not do a thing unless he has revealed his confidential matter to his servants the prophets". ?

The WT only seems to find out these things decades after Jehovah has done his thing.

Can this possibly mean they are not prophets, and not servants of his also ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit