1 Tim 1:4 WOW Nov 5 text that needs some explaining.

by 5go 11 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• 5go
    5go

The JW at work likes to put up the scripture from the daily text each day. This one looked a bit off when I looked at it. 1 Tim 1:4

NWT btw and the NIV says ruffly the same.

nor to pay attention to false stories+ and to genealogies. Such things end up in nothing useful+ but merely give rise to speculations rather than providing anything from God in connection with faith.

The Daily Text says

[Do not] pay attention to false stories . . . which furnish questions for research. WTF

It was funny because he wrote it.

Do not pay attention to false stories . . . which furnish questions for research as such things end up in nothing useful but merely give rise to speculations rather than providing anything from God.

I was like it couldn't of said that just looking at it without a bible in hand then I pulled up a site with the NIV and broke out laughing.

• wearewatchingyouman
  • pronomono
    pronomono

They must have used a different translation and forgot to cite it. Byingtons bible does use the word "research" in the verse, although it is a little different. This should still be confusing to most JWs, though.

• Blttex
    Blttex

I'm wondering how you know if something is a false story unless you research it?

• pronomono
    pronomono

Yes, aren't we supposed to research? Wait, but only from the WT publications.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Nineteen eighty four. Control information.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

The last revision of the NWT translated it as "but which furnish questions for research".

Even if you research it only in WT publications it has never suggested that ones do not research. Even their publications show the context was about the detail to which some of the Jews would go to try and work out exactly who was related to who in their genealogies. I don't know why they ever rendered it as they did and the new revision brings the thought much more into line with the original intent of the verse and other translations.

Don't read this as some kind of support of the WTS - we all know that you can research just so long as the research gives you the same answer as the GB.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Good find 5go.

The WTBTS is all too familiar with 'false stories' and 'speculation'.

The WT puts out an annual CD-ROM that is corrupted with an overwhelming abundance of both false stories and speculation.

• The
    The

“Keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord.” ( Ephesians 5:10 )

• Junebuggie
    Junebuggie

The organization is so full of "propoganda" itself , always warning the members to ignore "outside" propoganda...but this Scripture they way this guy re-wrote it, is an out & out claim that false stories are wrong to question & research...well, how do you know if the stories are truly false, unless you do the research to prove them false, or prove them true. Questions & research do help provide useful things from God.... OMG, the JW are sooooooooo mixed up.

Sometimes it just amazes me the "new light" they recieve from their own research!! Dah!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit