Changing tides

by d 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• d
    d

I think we are witnessing major events in our time period.Look at the Snoweden situation and the continuing Arab spring and the issue of income inequality.We are seeing that people are questioning the old values and briging up new ones.I belieive we are also approaching a much more secular world as well.

People today are a lot more skeptical of those in power than before and this all part of a change in our values.Look at as well the advancement of science and technology.We are able to treat illness once thought uncurable.The future does not look bleak despite what the Jw's say.Yes we have been thorugh wars ad famines and illness but we are treating those things fast.According to the U.N they plan to cut world poverty in half.

This is good.

• emeth
    emeth

are u serious? Good? in a few years people will pray and hope that there is a God out there,... otherwise mankind is doomed. We are ruining our earth and ecosystems. Illnesses that we were capable of to cure now become resistant to antibiotics and kill again. New scary diseases developed,.. which we did not know of just a few decades ago. Cut poverty in half? Europe is becoming poor ,.. high unemployment and budget deficits.

And about the major political events... it only shows that the world is falling apart. It shows that no matter how long regimes or institutions ruled they can be destroyed in a few days or weeks. Even in developed nations we saw the 'occupy' movement. So yes people are questioning the old values but at the same time they learn that humans cant solve their problems.

And ... JW's dont tell you that our future looks bleak... scientists do!! Jw's tell you the future looks bright

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Jw's tell you the future looks bright"

LOL. Billions of people slaughtered. Cities in complete ruin. That's "bright"? Even my die-hard JW parents are in dismay at the prospect of a world full of JWs. They learned long ago not to hire JWs. And they can only stand their JW "friends" in small doses. They want to be young again, but they sure don't look at the future JW "paradise" as all that bright.

"JW's dont tell you that our future looks bleak... scientists do!"

Haha. If they thought the future was bleak, they would all retire to tropical islands and wait for impending doom. The real scientists are working hard to try to make the world a better place.

• d
    d

So true we have actually become less violent and more tolerant of others.Ask your do you really want to live in the dark ages? No I did no think so.

We are living in times of immense peace despite some wars but overall we are getting better and learning from our past.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

d, Congrats on you're post number... 1914!

To celebrate, I sent you an invisible present.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

in a few years people will pray and hope that there is a God out there,... otherwise mankind is doomed.

Yup! humans are stupid enough to destroy themselves.

But, if "god' is still wandering around having a look at the earth as he did in Abraham's day, he doesn't seem to be showing

any interest in doing something about it.

I doubt that the old bugger gives a dam.

• prologos
    prologos

yeah, india going to mars , but not to the loo, comfort room, can,

very few around.

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

Yo Billy!

>>"To celebrate, I sent you an invisible present."

Brilliant! Very much chortle!

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

If you guys say so Does art imitate life, or vice versa?

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/pg-13-movies-are-now-more-violent-r-rated-80s-8C11566223

That's because PG-13 movies today — such as “The Hunger Games” or “The Avengers” — contain more violence than the R-rated films of the 1980s, according to a new report published today in the journal Pediatrics. In particular, gun violence in PG-13 films has tripled since 1985, the year the PG-13 rating was first introduced. And overall, violence in movies has nearly quadrupled since the 1950s.

Psychologists say it’s a worrisome trend that we should take seriously, because there is evidence that watching violence on screen increases aggression in real life.

“Of course it’s not the only factor, and it may not even be the most important factor, but it isn’t a trivial factor — and it’s one we can change," says Brad Bushman, an Ohio State University psychologist and lead author of the new report.

Bushman and colleagues analyzed 945 popular films released from 1950 to 2012. Each movie was among the 30 top-grossing films of that year, and they randomly chose 15 of those top 30 movies to scrutinize. Undergrads watched every film and counted every violent act — they defined a violent sequence as “physical acts where the aggressor makes or attempts to make some physical contact with the intention of causing injury or death.”

They found that since 2009, PG-13 movies have featured as much or more violence than the R-rated films released those same years. And in 2012, there was more gun violence in PG-13 films than in the R-rated ones out that year.

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

Sfpw, I forgot to add in my post about celebrating holidays that I also enjoy rated r movies! In fact some of the best movies I have ever seen are rated r. amazingly after seeing the violence and hearing profanity I still have never beat my wife, cursed at her, or even threatened her! I also have committed no acts of violence under law. I realize that I must have an extreme resistance to these movies but they will continue to break me down leading to my wife or someone near me receiving a black eye one day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit