The elder said to me, "You're not supposed to take that seriously."

by Julia Orwell 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

He's been to my door a couple of times as they've done the territory and said hello and all that, a nice, clean-shaven version of Santa Clause. He was with a sister, a mild, pleasant intelligent sister with whom I always got on well, and we had a bit of a simple pleasantries-exchanging chat while my husband ran off and hid in the house like he normally does when JWs come.

We got onto the sister's university studies and I said, "But at the DC they lumped university education in with fornication and every terrible thing!"

Shaved Santa pipes up suddenly, "Oh, you're not meant to take that seriously. For goodness sakes, we're smart enough to make our own decisions about these things!"

If I were quicker witted, I would have said, "So what else does the GB say that we're not supposed to take seriously?" but instead I showed them my chickens.

I seem to observe that many JWs I know interpret what comes from the Gibbering Buddy quite liberally. Around here anyway, and the ones that do are better people for it, like Shaved Santa still talks to his disfellowshipped daughter.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Many JW kids go to college. Elder and pioneer parents have to try to act like it's a bad thing or that their child is just taking some classes, not seeking a degree. Others do it out in the open and nobody says anything to their faces.

Maybe we can adopt the "You're not supposed to take that seriously" attitude for anything we see as silly- certainly the "overlap generation" or the idea that the Governing Body has some kind of Holy Spirit upon them.

• Ding
    Ding

Julia,

Maybe you should turn that elder in.

Sounds like he's engaging in apostate thinking and encouraging you to do likewise...

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

LOL I don't think the other elders would listen to a mere inactive sister, especially one who's been accused of apostasy by half of the BOE already...

• whathappened
    whathappened

That brother just said what many JWs are too passive to admit.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

And that's the thing I like about Shaved Santa. He's very open. The time might be coming when guys like that are no longer made elders because they he lacks that discretion and calls a spade a spade. They will increasingly want stupid guys who are smart enough to shut up.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Perhaps Santa elder should just interpret what the GB says they way this Christian is doing for Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLOUWl-L-s&feature=share&list=PL7420408E36541DA4

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

It seems to me that those longtime JWs - i.e the ones who have stuck with the religion - are the ones like the "shaved Santa" fellow you just described.

They may do lip service to the more extreme demands of the GB, but in practice use their judgement and common sense about such matters. Just the same, I don't know how those - again like "shaved Santa" - who are elders fare when they are "counselling" others about such things university education. Do they warn others not to, but then send their own children to uni?

There is a word to describe such actions - and it is not avery pleasant one!

Bill.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

So true. Love the Australian accent too!!

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

LOL..if the CO heard that he would be removed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit