Did Adam and Eve Partake of Literal Fruit or is it Symbolic?

by Stauros 71 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Stauros
    Stauros

Was I mistaken, I thought you said you felt the Genesis account was not literal. Then that since it wasn't literal we had to figure out what it meant. I am asking you why you feel the bible can and should be interpreted as full of hidden meaning, and is not possible that all the other ancient books are worth your attention as well? Why do you feel the bible alone should be interpreted different than it is written? [comatose]

Well, think about it for a minute. A talking snake, a magical piece of fruit, the condemnation of man based upon what Adam and Eve caused. Satan is likened to a serpent, but does not mean that he appeared to Eve as a serpent. "By their fruits you will recognize them", "The fruitage of the spirit", "A bad tree cannot produce good fruit"........these are all examples of how fruit is used as a metaphor in the bible. Christ taught in parables so it is obvious that there is hidden meaning in the bible. I am only interested in the bible and not any other ancient books written by man. The bible is inspired by GOD so it is set apart from any other book ever written.....

Estephan

• Comatose
    Comatose

But, the other books say they are inspired by god. How do you make the decision that they don't warrant your time if you don't read them and investigate? How do you know the bible is inspired?

• Stauros
    Stauros

But, the other books say they are inspired by god. How do you make the decision that they don't warrant your time if you don't read them and investigate? How do you know the bible is inspired? [comatose]

The wisdom you find in the bible cannot derive from man. Aside from the fact that the bible foretells the future, which can be related to historic events, makes it even more obvious that it is inspired. I have not come across any book that claims to be inspired by GOD. I only take interest in books that can increase my knowledge of GOD, and also those that I need to increase my knowledge for my everyday life.

E.

• justmom
    justmom

Hello Stauros,

Great question. Yes, the tree of life is " literal" Not physical. The tree of life represents CHRIST. And continued life from him in spirit because the flesh is of no use at all. Adam and Eve had to have been earing of it in order to life forever. The same as we partake descibed In John 6: 48-59. ( have life within yourselves)

Although prior to their sin, their bodies were in the image of Jah and CHRIST. They could put on and off flesh just as angels do today and like the angels did prior to the flood.

Thanks for asking

Love justmom

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

They were symbolic but the fruit was literal. Easy peasy.

• Stauros
    Stauros

But for Adam no suitable helper was found. 21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep

[The Death of Jesus]

28 Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” 29 A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus’ lips. 30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh.

[Jesus Pierced on his Ribs]

32 The soldiers therefore came and broke the legs of the first man who had been crucified with Jesus, and then those of the other. 33 But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. 34 Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water.

Two aspects of Jesus' death have been the source of great controversy, namely, the nature of the wound in his side 4, 6 and the cause of his death after only several hours on the cross.13-17 The gospel of John describes the piercing of Jesus' side and emphasizes the sudden flow of blood and water.1 Some authors have interpreted the flow of water to be ascites 12 or urine, from an abdominal midline perforation of the bladder.15 However, the Greek word plvra, or pleura) 32, 35, 36 used by John clearly denoted laterality and often implied the ribs.6, 32,36 Therefore, it seems probable that the wound was in the thorax and well away from the abdominal midline.

22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

[The Bride of Christ (Women)]

9 One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” 10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. 11 It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12 It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west. 14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

12 A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. 2 She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth. 3 Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on its heads. 4 Its tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that it might devour her child the moment he was born. 5 She gave birth to a son, a male child, who “will rule all the nations with an iron scepter.”[a] And her child was snatched up to God and to his throne. 6 The woman fled into the wilderness to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days.

There are many different meanings in the bible......seek and you shall find. Jesus is referred to as the second Adam, why?

Estephan

• Stauros
    Stauros

Wasanelder once,

A magical piece of fruit that causes one to understand things immediately? Does not make sense.

7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

Estephan

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Stauros:

[The Death of Jesus]
    [Jesus Pierced on his Ribs]
    [The Bride of Christ (Women)]

It's certainly possible that the writers who made up stories surrounding Jesus' death were alluding to the stories about 'Adam and Eve', just as many of the other stories about Jesus were deliberately written to supposedly 'fulfill' alleged 'messianic prophecies' (most of which bear no resemblance to the context of the 'prophecies').

However, that doesn't automatically imbue any special significance on aspects on the earlier story about Adam and Eve itself, which is an origin myth derived from earlier Babylonian stories (including the details about a snake and a magical plant that gives life and enlightenment), written around the 6th century BCE, which 'coincides' with exposure of Babylonian culture to the Jewish people.

• Stauros
    Stauros

Ok Jeffro, so how did all creation really get here since you feel you know everything.......

Estephan

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Stauros:

Ok Jeffro, so how did all creation really get here since you feel you know everything.......

Surely you should realise by now that that is an entirely stupid argument.

Your premise (by no means original) is that for any question that doesn't have an easy answer, any made up answer is better than "I don't know". However, even further than that, your question ignores a great deal of what is known.

Instead, you clumsily replace "I don't know" with the preposturously arrogant claim to 'know'—with no evidence whatsoever—that "God did it".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit