Calling all materialists and non-materialists

by willmarite 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• willmarite
    willmarite

Terry - Thanks, very touching.

bohm - The fact that our bodies are made up of atoms has nothing to do with it. I do not think anyone would dispute this fact. The belief that consciousness and everything that we are is just due to chance interactions of blind physical forces is what I am talking about. The belief that my life and your's has no purpose or destiny is what I'm talking about. The belief that free will is an illusion so the only reason you love your girlfriend is because you had no choice in the matter (this isn't my belief by the way) is what I'm talking about.

• jgnat
    jgnat

A product of our environment, in other words. Nature vs Nurture. There's good evidence that we are a product of both.

I've pondered how some children somehow manage to rise above their raising, say, if they were in an abusive home. Not all these children are doomed to repeat their parent's failures. There is some other factor involved. Studies indicate that these children had some sort of model to go by, a worthy adult figure that they could emulate instead.

There's still free will involved, because for whatever reason, some children grab for the gold ring and give life a chance, and others drown in despair.

Not that this is the despairing child's fault. They weren't even given a chance.

It's just that, sometimes people rise above their raising.

• bohm
    bohm

will: thanks for the response, however i dont think you answered any of my two questions

• willmarite
    willmarite

Sorry bohm for not answering. I'm not sure I understand the reason behind the question but I'll give it a try.

Something that matters to me is the future of mankind including myself. If I suddenly began to believe that my life, the life of all my loved ones, and the life and every person who has ever lived is entirely pointless I would be devastated.

Let me compare it to the difference between a rewarding job where you used your abilities to help other people and a job where for 8 hrs. a day you dug a hole in the ground then proceeded to fill it back up again. Then you re-dug the hole then filled it up again. Very few people could do such meaningless work for very long.

If the materialist paradigm is correct then not only is everything ultimately meaningless but you don't even have a choice whether to believe it or not.

• bohm
    bohm

Will: im trying to understand your example. by the future of mankind you are thinking of what? What do you think will happend in the future that makes your life matter now?

• adamah
    adamah

Willmarite said-

My personal belief is that materialism is a limiting belief and is not true so it doesn't scare me. I will admit however if I suddenly accepted it I have no words to describe how depressed I would be. That ultimately nothing matters (at least that's how I view it) would be too much to take and remain a happy, well-adjusted human being.

Yeah, that prove you're projecting YOUR fears onto others.

I'm a materialist, and don't see life as pointless: just the opposite, since it's a gift and the challenge is what you make of it. Not to collapse in a ball of self-doubt to quiver and die.

You really should be asking yourself of where you ever got the idea of spiritual woo, in the first place, as your default position? Because aside from cultural influences, there's absolutely no evidence for it.

Willmarite said-Something that matters to me is the future of mankind including myself. If I suddenly began to believe that my life, the life of all my loved ones, and the life and every person who has ever lived is entirely pointless I would be devastated.

Since you're worried about the fate of the Universe, long after you'll be dead, here's an idea: perhaps you'd consider contributing to a cause for mankind to figure out a way to find a solution for heat death of the Universe? Maybe if not you, then a distant offspring would be the one to save mankind?

Willmarite said-Let me compare it to the difference between a rewarding job where you used your abilities to help other people and a job where for 8 hrs. a day you dug a hole in the ground then proceeded to fill it back up again. Then you re-dug the hole then filled it up again. Very few people could do such meaningless work for very long.

Have you NOT seen JWs, who engage in the most fruitless time-sucking endeavor EVER? They even SEEM to enjoy it!

Willmarite said-If the materialist paradigm is correct then not only is everything ultimately meaningless but you don't even have a choice whether to believe it or not.

'Materialist' is not synonymous with 'nihilist'. Don't insult me like that!

'Free will' implies there's not someone (usually, some God(s)) pulling the levers. The only one yanking our chains is often US OURSELVES, and most people cannot handle the responsibility of accepting that fact, since it means they cannot deny their personal responsibility any longer.

Adam

• willmarite
    willmarite

Hi adam,

Yeah, that prove you're projecting YOUR fears onto others.

That would be possible but these are only theoretical fears of mine that do not exist.

I'm a materialist, and don't see life as pointless: just the opposite, since it's a gift and the challenge is what you make of it. Not to collapse in a ball of self-doubt to quiver and die.

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion.

You really should be asking yourself of where you ever got the idea of spiritual woo, in the first place, as your default position? Because aside from cultural influences, there's absolutely no evidence for it.

This would be your opinion. Thanks

Materialist' is not synonymous with 'nihilist'. Don't insult me like that!

'Free will' implies there's not someone (usually, some God(s)) pulling the levers. The only one yanking our chains is often US OURSELVES, and most people cannot handle the responsibility of accepting that fact, since it means they cannot deny their personal responsibility any longer.

Sorry, no intention to insult. I certainly agree with you that we and we alone have ultimate responsability to what happens to us and our planet. How does your version of materialism reconcile itself with free will?

• bohm
    bohm

Will: I dont hope my question made you think your life was futile after all and you are too depressed to answer right now...

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

willmarite: what was your purpose before you were born? did mankind had a purpose 1000000 years ago?

when i first found out that there's no implied purpose, i felt a big void as well. because all my life i was told there was something when there actually wasn't anything. but you know, you can fill that void with anything you please. and you can do that all by yourself, how cool is that!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The book of Solomon says the same thing: that life is ultimately vanity.

You would be better to read Russell's "The Conquest of Happiness". It's a bit more cheery for the soul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit