We shall dress with modesty (1Tim2:9), why dress like rich lawyers or wealthy financiers?

by Mr Fool 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

In my point of view, modest clothing is simple and humble. So why are JW-men dressed like they own a big company or are challangers to the President post?

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Most JW men wear cheap-@$$ suits. They don't look like Lawyers at all, more like a cheap car saleman. I would know too, I used to wear them.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

I just shake my head at the brothers who dress to the tee (bow tie, crisply pressed shirt, suspenders, bold cuff links, designer glasses) who stand out even in the middle of an JW assembly. Dude, get a clue,you cut grass for a living.

• jgnat
    jgnat

We are regulars at a local eatery on meeting nights, and we are always warmly greeted. Hubby comes dressed in his suit. After they have known us for a year or two, they finally asked what hubby did for a living. They thought lawyer or something. LOL.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The problem is, the WTS has not updated it's dress code from the fifties. Nowadays, jeans are the uniform.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I feel that "modest" means not being excessively showy. The term refers to someone that dresses in such a way to blend in with the crowd, as opposed to someone that has 18 rings on each hand, an expensive looking suit or dress, or something that needs special handling.

And, in the long run, the cheapest clothing is often basic but high-quality. I own several pairs of basic blue jeans from L.L.Bean, which are excellent quality. Not designer, but excellent basic quality which will last for a good long time. I also own some high quality but basic shirts from the same company, in both summer and winter varieties. I own several pairs of quality shorts, also from L.L.Bean. Without the designer label, they still pack quality that holds up. To me, that is modest because I am not wasting funds on a designer label. Instead, I put it in quality. I also have a watch that has a crude weather station (in case the official weather service is shut down). And some nice shoes from L.L.Bean--work shoes that cost about 3 pairs of sneakers but last 6-7 times as long and do not need insoles.

Not only is that cheaper to buy, but it is cheaper to maintain. No dry cleaning. Just throw in the laundry and hang up to wear. The money I do spend on them means not having to waste more time and money later replacing things that wear out or get ruined because they are crap quality. I don't know how many suit pants I have had a major seam get ruined and they defied all attempts to fix, because they were crap quality. Again, no fake expensive suits or real expensive dry cleaning bills. Though shopping at L.L.Bean means paying a little more upfront, they end up costing half as much before getting ruined as the Crap Mart versions.

And no more big dry cleaning bills.

• pronomono
    pronomono

I've started dressing very modest at the meetings. No more fancy matching suits. No more dress pants. Just some comfy cotton twill, button up cotton shirt, and a tie.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

The problem is, the WTS has not updated its dress code from the fifties. Nowadays, jeans are the uniform.

Outside of the big New York law firms, the vast majority of attorneys don't wear suits anymore. Of course, you need to wear a suit to go to court, but the vast majority of attorneys rarely, if ever, go to court.

The flowery dresses and suit nonsense is, as you said, a relic of the past. The religion is ossified. It won't update its preaching methods much less its dress code.

• BU2B
    BU2B

They think they dress as professionals. The thing is, professionals today wear a sport jacket and jeans or khakis if that, and no tie for the most part, and it is NOW acceptable to have beard if you are a judge, lawyer, doctor, CEO or other professional. Women have been wearing pant suits for decades. If it were up to the WTS, no JW female would ever wear pants or skirts above or at the knee, no one would ever wear evil jeans, or leave their shirt untucked. What the WTS depicts as casual clothing, should in fact be their dress clothing.

and oooohhh dont they looooovvveee to criticize some churches for what they wear to church. Does that remind you of anyone? Pharisees perhaps?

They should be trying to look like the common man. How many older people are afraid to open their doors when they see two young JW men, dressed in black suits coming to their door with a frown on their face? Most people think, this must be the FBI, Bank officials, or other bad news. They just look silly and out of place.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

My wardrobe changed drastically since I'm no longer a JW. It's now more modest and less for show.

I wore good suits and had a huge array of ties. Now as an ex-JW I'm in jeans nearly all the time - I sometimes dust off a suit but am actually overdressed when I do so. The rare times I meet very senior people (on 8 figure salaries) they're in business casual with no tie or often they are in jeans also.

What I wear to work as a business professional I wouldn't be allowed on the ministry or in the kingdom hall. But then I do have worldly standards now and JW's have more godly standards in everything including attire.

mmxiv

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit