Irony: JWs who refuse to answer their door on Halloween!

by adamah 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

adamah, wow, I guess you have never encounted a non-jw who is anti-Halloween; won't send there kids to school to celebrate, preach about it at their church and condemn those that do celebrate; tell people that they are associating with Satan.....

Pentecostals

Baptists

Many conservative/born again religions

Orthodox Jews

Muslims

Hindus

I have people come to my door about politic issues, selling lawn services, selling school candy or pizzas, satellite tv, people from the local Lutheran and Baptist churches. I don't share their views or want their services. I just say no politely, and please don't come back. I know there are aggressive jws that require a call to the KH re do not call or posting your property No Trespassing.

As to huddling afraid in their house, the jws I know go out to eat, to a movie, shopping or to the meeting. The town I live in (and others) set a time frame for trick or treating, 4-8 at the latest.

We plan out handing out candy as we have for the past ten years. In 45 years as a jw, never saw anyone's home trashed because the light was off; they just went to the next house. Evidently I hit a nerve in my last post.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Jehovah's Witnesses are missing a grand opportunity on Halloween. I keep telling my wife that they should make it a witnessing event the way many fundamentalists churches do.

http://www.chick.com/seasonal/halloween/2013/

Here's an excerpt from this web page:

http://www.chick.com/seasonal/halloween/ways_to_witness.asp

"Over the years, we've learned a thing or two about sharing the gospel Halloween night. Before meeting Jack Chick, many of us would hide in the back of the house with the lights off! But we knew in our hearts that sharing Jesus with the kids was the right thing to do."

emphasis mine

• carla
    carla

Gary, my kids went trick or treating every year when young (dad did not join jw's until later) and I can tell you from personal experience the kids have no interest in any attached reading material of any kind when going through their goody bag.

For those who never went trick or treating- after you are all done and can't walk anymore or knock on any more doors you head home. Once home you dump the entire bag on the floor or table, mom checks through and throws out anything suspicious (that would include any religious tracts in most homes) and usually mom lets you have a few items from your bag that night. She might also put out the roasted pumpkin seeds. Before all the schools went pc and Michele Obama stuck her nose into everybodies lunch you would probably get one piece from your bag in your lunch, possibly one when you got home and maybe for desert. The bag lasted quite some time. Depending on how far you went or how close together the houses were. My brother had candy that lasted until nearly Christmas! He and his buddies would cover a great deal of ground on trick or treat night!

I remember one house when I was a kid that had a sign saying 'We don't celebrate Halloween'. None of us, not one! (and we were a huge bunch of kids) ever knew it was because they were jw's. I found out later in life but as kid we just thought they were cheapskates or possibly old people who couldn't make it to the door. Nobody soaped their windows, toilet papered the trees or any other damage. We just moved on to the next house.

Our neighborhood for years has had the 'leave the light on' policy. Those who don't want to participate have never had any damage done to their homes.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

helloween isn't traditionally celebrated in my country. in recent years kids are inspired by american films and tv shows to go door to door asking for candy. i'm not playing along, sorry. in fact i don't even know how to deal with it the "right" way.

• adamah
    adamah

Gary said-

Jehovah's Witnesses are missing a grand opportunity on Halloween. I keep telling my wife that they should make it a witnessing event the way many fundamentalists churches do.

That chick.com site is scary, as it shows that some Xians are willing to exploit the scariness of Halloween in order to push the fear of Hell. I guess a small publisher has to make sell their publications if they want to run with the big dogs.

Carla said-

I remember one house when I was a kid that had a sign saying 'We don't celebrate Halloween'. None of us, not one! (and we were a huge bunch of kids) ever knew it was because they were jw's. I found out later in life but as kid we just thought they were cheapskates or possibly old people who couldn't make it to the door. Nobody soaped their windows, toilet papered the trees or any other damage. We just moved on to the next house.

It's funny you brought up the vandalism thing into the discussion; that reminds me of how kids would use it as an excuse to "tee-pee" other's houses. Not that being home and hiding was going to any good, other than going out to scare off the little hooligans with a garden hose and the classic line, "You kids get off my lawn!" kinda thing.

Adam

• LisaRose
  • garyneal
    garyneal

Gary, my kids went trick or treating every year when young (dad did not join jw's until later) and I can tell you from personal experience the kids have no interest in any attached reading material of any kind when going through their goody bag.

Can't say that I ever found them in my bag when I went trick or treating as a kids. Nor do my kids get them in their bags when I take them out trick or treating. That said, my friends and I use to read them with great interest. My favorite was "This was your life." Still though I am not endorsing the site, just pointing out how witnesses can use this holiday in a tongue in cheek kind of way.

That chick.com site is scary, as it shows that some Xians are willing to exploit the scariness of Halloween in order to push the fear of Hell. I guess a small publisher has to make sell their publications if they want to run with the big dogs.

Yes, indeed, some of those tracts are quite scary. I also like the parody chick publications site. Here is my personal favorite.

http://www.weirdcrap.com/chick/intro.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit