2 SURVEY QUESTIONS

by Terry 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Please answer this question thoughtfully.

QUESTION #1:

If there were no Holy Book in existence--what would you or anybody else KNOW about God and how would you know it?

QUESTION #2:

If whatever Holy Book(s) turned out to be unreliable for any reason (or at least hit-and-miss) would that be any different from being totally wrong?

(Example: You have a list of important things that will hurt you, help you and waste your time--but--they aren't categorized which is which!)

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/m0rtslaw

I have to mention my book lest you forget!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

#1 - I'd make it up. I'd couch it in philosophical language, but ultimately it would just be my own brainchild.

#2 - There would be no difference.

• Simon
    Simon

A #1:

We would know as much as we know now - someone would see the gap and fill the void with their made-up holy writings/

A #2:

A stopped clock is right twice a day. It's still useless though.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

#1: I would not know anything about any God.. I think I would end up like the native American indians and strive to get as close to nature as possibe.

#2: Same as answer No. 1

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

1- only what YOU keep advertising! LOL

2-I'LL let YOU know as soon as I read your book!!

~~

Yes, I will buy your book!! Thanks be to Terry!

( Emoticons would be silly and funny if I had any!! They've disappeared again.)

• tornapart
    tornapart

I'd be just like Dis-member. Or I'd be a pagan very closely attached to nature.

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

1. If there was no Holy Book (Bible or any other) we would no nothing about a magic man in the sky. However, some wise and cunning businessman would eventually claim to know all the answers.

2. First off, I do not believe in god. I do think, however, there is a difference in your analogy. For example, if a manual to build a tv stand has quite a few misprints, it is still useful to keep it because you can figure out the kinks on your own. Although its unreliable to put your complete faith in the manual, you can still find it usefull if there is nothing else provided to help you out.

And its for that reason that many hold onto the bible despite its unreliableness, simply because they feel its still usefull and there is nothing else to build thier faith upon.

The sad thing is with the example of the manual, how many times have we put something together WITHOUT USING THE MANUAL? In my case, all the time. Although I've had to go back and redo it or take it apart again to fix an error I've made, I take a certain pride in not using the help provided. And how many times have we looked at the manual or instructions and truly thought it was a magical code in a different language?

The same can be said about the bible, although many find it usefull, in the end, if they would just open thier eyes and reflect on thier lives, they would see that it was THEM who ultimately put their lives together, for good or for bad. I truly believe that people would have so much more confidence and love for themselves if they stop giving credit to an imaginary being or a Holy Book and give credit to themselves, like when you put together a TV stand!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Sorry Terry for my obnoxious answer. Not, sure why I answered your excellent questions with that answer. I'm leaving it and decided not to edit it as a reminder of my faux pas. Mistakes were made. Hopefully no one was hurt. I apologize.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled programming...

• Terry
    Terry

Did I stand a chance? Does anybody?

The Bible or any other holy book is like a celebrity surrounded by flashing cameras and paparazzi, glitter, spotlights and fame.

We want its autograph. We swoon. We become big fans.

Kinda silly when you say it like that--huh?

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Personally I would much rather believe that Star Wars was a factual account and the Force guides our every move rather than whats written in most Holy Books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit