My struggle in leaving WTBTS - What is yours- if you want to share?

by Junebuggie 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Junebuggie
    Junebuggie

My Struggle- My Journey Finding Salvation

October 16, 2013 at 8:03pm

"Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life." 1 John 5:10-12 NIV

Many of us have family, friends, co-workers or class mates who are Jehovah Witnesses. My story is to help you understand their mind and heart.

In sharing my testimony I have no ill -intention toward any of my former JW friends. I wish them no harm, unkindness or untruth. I do wish them Salvation! Just like many Christians, Jehovah Witnesses are good, moral, honest & God fearing people. I am not sharing this to boast; only to help you understand what you might say or do for those JW you love & care about.

It is very hard for JW's to see over, thru, or around the wall they build, because the wall is a defense from the wicked world, religious influence and Satan.

In speaking to a Jehovah Witness about Christ as "your personal Savior" and the "assurance of salvation," be patient & loving. Tell them in feeling and descriptive words the heart-warming, joy-filled experience of total reliance on and acceptance of Christ. Relate your conviction/conversion/salvation experience vividly! I want to stress using the phrase "assurance of salvation," because sadly, JW do not have assurance of salvation. The majority of them have only "a hope" of it. They base this belief on scripture, found in Matthew 10:22. "The one who endures or stands firm to the end will be saved." Also found in Matthew 24:13

Briefly the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society teaches that there are only a "select few" ( 144,000 ) who gain "assured" eternal life in heaven. The other sheep of the society have only "a hope of eternal life", IF they survive Armageddon and endure and stand firm to the end. ( At the time I first wrote this story - in the year 2000, there were close to 7 million people in the Watchtower organization.)

From what I have stated so far, anyone can see that there is a two class distinction. Those with "assurance" and those with a "hope." What is the dictionary definition for these words?

Assurance- is a pledge, a promise, a guaranty, a conviction , a certainty.

Hope- is the desire and expectation of good, anticipation, wish, goal or dream.

As a former JW of 27 years, I now have assurance! Ephesians 2:8, Hebrews 11:1. I have salvation full & free!

I have peace, joy and freedom in Christ!

I was born & raised in a Lutheran Church. I went to church faithfully on Sundays, went thru catechism class, was confirmed and baptized in the Lutheran faith. When I moved to Missouri, I lived with my grandmother who was a devoted JW of 50 years. Out of respect for her and appreciation for her help, I started to study the Bible with one of her friends. I attended meetings at the Kingdom Hall, and in 1973 I was baptized as one of Jehovah Witnesses. So my life as a JW started in Chicago at a a Divine Victory convention held at the White Sox Ball Stadium. At this time I really believed that I was a Christian.

In later years I fell away from my belief and was dis-fellowshipped (excommunicated, shunned) for unchristian conduct . Since I did not repent immediately , my being cast out was to hlep keep the local congregation & the worldwide organization clean. 1 Cor. 5:5,11, @Thess. 3:6, 11, 13-15 and 2 John 9 & 10

In 1993 I was reinstated and became somewhat active again. (association, Bible Study, meeting attendance & door to door ministry) However, I did not feel complete, full or joyous in my heart; something was missing. I had a great void in my life. I always knew that Christ was Gods Son who died for my sins, who was resurrected so I might have everlasting life; but I never felt it so deeply with the heart as I do now. Christ is my "personal" Savior now. What a wonderful blessing!!

Because of the void in my heart, I knew I had to fill it. I was lacking Jesus! How could I find the "truth that would set me free?"

I started researching on the Internet, I did daily Bible reading and asked God to direct me. I found other JW on the internet who had questions, and doubts about the Watchtower organization. I read books by ex JW and watched videos produced by ex JW.. All of this, my journey and research took about six months, befroe I was really convinced that I needed to leave the Watchtower organization.

I found local support with new friends and my family. I started attending Meadow Heights Baptist Chruch. The warmth and love & acceptance was very impressive and inviting. I met with the Pastor of the church who was kind and patient; leading me toward my Lord. I appreciate so much, the love & prayers of those that helped me. Yet I praise God and give Him all the credit as found in 1 Cor. 3:6 "God keeps making things grow."

For anyone to completely understand what a JW goes thru when they start to doubt & questions their belief or the WTBTS, can't be fully stated here. I could not go to my JW friends & ask them for help with my doubts.. Why? Because there could/would be serious consequences. So, I went to God in prayer. He is the Hearer of prayer & the Rewarder of those earnestly seeking Him. Prov. 15:29, Heb. 11:6

Arguing doctrine & belief with JW will most likely NOT win them to Christ. Remember they have built a wall to outside influence. I built a wall around myself- I believed I was involved in the one "true religion". No-one could tell me any different. I am still making adjustments, still struggling with some beliefs. But with God's continued help I will get thru it.

Just a couple of suggestions when talking to one of your JW family or friends. To get them thinking about the "authority " of the WTBTS, you might suggest to them to do unbiased research about their organization. Also , as them if they (as an individual ) have "hope" or "assurance" of everlasting life. Remember the majority of them only have a "hope". Share with them, your "assurance of salvation". Thru my struggle I truly believe God directed my research & He heard my prayers ! He has rewarded me in this life and will reward me in my future life with HIM !

If anyone has questions they want to discuss with me on this subject,..you can private message me. I love to share my testimony of grace & salvation thru Jesus Christ!

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I get leaving the jw but I don't understand the finding Jesus part afterwards. That never makes sense to me,

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

same as you iCeltic the very last thing people need when leaving is finding "jesus" its all a fraud , get out and enjoy life , leave the fantasy behind

• Junebuggie
    Junebuggie

Wait! I am not critisizing you for your belief, why are you attacking me for what I believe? This is where I am happiest, and I do enjoy life. I just wanted to share my story and how in the end I found my happiness not in a mind control organization , but in one person...Jesus. Sorry if I offended any of you with my story.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I wasn't offended, everyone has a voice, I'm just saying I don't understand it. Born agains to me are no different than jw's, they sound exactly the same albeit with a very slightly different sound.

the thought of a god sending his son to die an excruciating death to make himself feel better because someone questioned him once, well that's a step to far into fantasy for me.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Also, it's a public forum, if you post a message like that here you are going to face views different from your own.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Thank you for sharing, junebuggie. Glad you have found your joy in Christ. I, too, am glad to know Him as my personal savior.

Makes you wonder, once you really do some serious research, how you bought into the wt doctrine, doesn't it? But I guess with the technology today, v. 15 years ago, it makes it much easier to do the research. Here's to a happy life!

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

What kind of serious research does it take to find Jesus? The thing I generally wonder about is if all our lives depend on it, why do we need to 'find' Jesus? Why isn't he making it incredibly easy for mankind rather than humans having to trudge through thousands of religions in the hope of maybe finding an answer. Maybe.

know what I mean?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I left the WTBTS in July 2008. Around a month later I started going to a local evangelical church, and as a result was deemed as disassociated by my former congregation.

I did the whole "finding Jesus" thing, had a "conversion" experience, talked in tongues, felt filled by the "holy spirit" etc etc.

However, when I realised that many people of many difference religions at times experience similar things I concluded that "Jesus" and the "holy spirit" have nothing to do with it.

Since then I've lost all notions of faith and have never been happier, freer, more confident and more optimistic.

Replacing one all-consuming religion for another is common. But it's best to move into a place where your faith and trust is in yourself.

Enjoy life.

• screwproof
    screwproof

I dont think its about Us finding Jesus, I think its more about Jesus finding Us. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit