My story

by ConnieLynn 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn

I have actually been on this board for a few months and never really posted how I ended up here. Maybe it would be healthy,,

I was raised as a witness, my dad was an elder and my mom vacation pioneered, eventually she was an auxiliary pioneer, so witness activities were always going on. Our house was a hub of activity as I grew up, I had 3 younger sisters and we always had other witness kids over (never worldly kids). I didn't hate it, it was all I knew. Missing holiday's never bothered me, but I was good in school and I did want to go to college. Of course this was discouraged. I actually took summer courses and graduated 1 1/2 years early to become a regular pioneer. My first summer out of school was spent knocking on doors and seeing a brother from a neighboring congregation. He was much older than me and seemed nice enough. We were never alone, once. I actually kissed him the first time on the day he asked me to marry him. We got married 5 months later and I moved to a remote coal-mining town in Kentucky. Eventually we moved to Alabama and I continued to pioneer.

At first I didn't work at all, but I was really into fitness and started teaching aerobics. I got a great job at the University of Alabama teaching classes and that was my first experience making worldly "friends". The gal that befriended me was so nice, it didn't make any sense to me that she was going to die at Armageddon, so I witnesses to her a lot. (poor thing). After I got that job I started feeling a little independent, plus I was 21 years old. (growing up). Well, this didn't set well with my domineering 32-year-old husband and occasionally he would get physical with me, but mostly he tried to make me feel controlled. He had to know where I was every minute, unless I was in service.

I hated feeling controlled, by the organization, my parents, my husband, other people's expectations...Everything came to a head at once when a young girl in our hall was disfellowshipped. I was still pioneering , but inside I was so much rebelling. I made eye contact with her one night as she sat by her Mom on the back row. My stomach just felt sick. I told my husband when we got home from the meeting how I felt, and he slapped me. It totally woke me up. I laid in bed that night and decided I didn't want to do this anymore. When he left for work the next morning, I packed one suitcase and went 3 hours away to another town. My committee meeting was with elders in that town that I didn't know and the meeting lasted a little over an hour. Like most of you here, my life changed 7 days after that. I lost every childhood friend and most of my relatives, they all are serious shunners. My mom calls occasionally to wish me back into the organization...but that is about it.

I went to college in 1994 at UT and got a degree and now I live in the Pacific Northwest. Going to school was something I had wanted all along, now I make my own decisions. I now know why the organization discourages secondary education. College opened my eyes to a lot of things. Philosophy classes were profound to me. I totally loved school! I was the happiest when my sister left the organization a few years after I did. We live 3,000 miles apart but it's nice to have someone in my family that talks to me. I finally got married a couple of years ago, he is awesome. We have an equal relationship and he let's me be who I am and vice versa. This board is great because the one thing I don't openly share is my past...so I get to talk about it here. Whoever started this - thank you.

Connie

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Connie,

Thanks for sharing your story.

Glad you are here

Andee

• julien
    julien

Is that U Texas or U Tennessee?

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn

University of Tennessee! (Go Vols!)

• julien
    julien

cool I grew up in TN (but didn't go to college of course) and UT is my favorite team..

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn

Awesome...I was only in Neyland stadium one time, but that place is huge! You can actually see the game better on Televison. I still follow the team even though I don't live there anymore. (and I follow Peyton Manning and the Colts because of the Vols)!

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Connie,

Thanks for sharing your story.

I've never been a JW myself, but I always love to hear other people's experiences and stories with the JWs as more proof and verification of why to avoid this cult.

Glad you're here.

Ajax

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Connie,

I love these stories. Your JW life was so familiar. Glad to here you are happy now. It give hope for the JW lurkers that there is life after leaving "the truth".

Wish I could tell our story but we haven't been kicked out yet.

Thanks for sharing.

Jst2laws

• cellomould
    cellomould

Thanks for posting your story, Connie!

You were right that you see things differently once you take college courses.

As Teejay pointed out in his 'Dissension' thread, "the Truth" doesn't stand up to honest investigation. And JWs know it, though perhaps that knowledge is buried deep within their 'collective psyche'.

They use phrases such as 'empty philosophies of men', not realizing that their favorite Psalmists were nothing but human philosophers.

I never took Philosophy courses, but an abundance of science courses. (Chemistry, Physics, Math, etc...) I suppose it helped my thinking that my courses dealt with the factual rather than the abstact. I didn't feel so guilty looking at facts.

But of course I am open to different philosophies now. And I have plenty of my own too.

Best of luck,
    cellomould

"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times" Death, Without Judgement

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Hello Connie,

Glad to hear your sister got out of the WT and that you have contact with her. Most of my family is out. I have one brother, a year and a half older than me still inside and an elder at that as far as I heard last. I have not seen or spoken to him for several years.

Scorpion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit