WHY did we used to read this verse and think that it referred to Satan? How can anyone??

by The Quiet One 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

In any translation you like...

http://biblehub.com/genesis/3-1.htm

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Perhaps because Satan is referred to as the 'original serpent'?

• blondie
    blondie

In fact, Satan is not mentioned until the book of Job...I wondered about that...probably the same way the WTS tries to prove Jesus is Michael by stringing together 4 or 5 scriptures.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Dis-member.. Firstly, that is in a different book entirely, with some guy possibly called John writing down his hallucinations. Secondly, look at the wording in the verse.. The serpent itself is described as being more 'astute, clever, cunning, subtle' than any beast of the field.. Not 'Satan', the serpent itself was being described. If it was merely a puppet for a superhuman being, why mention the perceived characteristics of a snake? Could it be that people added a later meaning that didn't exist in the original story?...

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Of course Quiet One, I was just playing serpents advocate.

Again and again I'm seeing that the org is showing itself not to be the possessors or messengers of truth but rather the master manipulators of truth.

• AuntConnie
    AuntConnie

Blondie, how did your spirituallity evovle when you left the Organization after being in the same position I am? I still believe in God and Jesus, not the way the Watchtower teaches us about them. We both fell for their teachings on the Serpant (Gen 3:14-16) and Micheal the ArchAngel without using our own brains while deeply entrenched in the mire of their teachings. How do you keep a spiritual nature Sister?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Satan is mentioned in 1Chron 21:1.

A notable verse because its parallel in 2 Sam appears to equate Satan to Jehovah.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

I think its interesting the original Hebrew meant "the shining one"

• Comatose
    Comatose

SBF. That's fantastic. All the verses in every other translation I saw on bible hub read that god caused it at 2 Samuel 24:1. I wonder if WT has ever said something about that verse and why they make it appear that's a different person than god. Do they have it right?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't understand, the NWT says Jehovah in 2 Sam 24:1, it's the comparison of that verse with 1 Chron that appears to equate Satan with Jehovah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit