Have you read C.T. Russell's controversial view of "new light"?

by Island Man 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Island Man
    Island Man

"If we were following a man undoubtedly it would be different with us; undoubtedly one human idea would contradict another and that which was light one or two or six years ago would be regarded as darkness now: But with God there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning, and so it is with truth; any knowledge or light coming from God must be like its author. A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. New light never extinguishes older light, but adds to it. If you were lighting up a building containing seven gas jets you would not extinguish one every time you lighted another, but would add one light to another and they would be in harmony and thus give increase of light. So is it with the light of truth; the true increase is by adding to, not by substituting one for another." - Watchtower Feb. 1, 1881, Reprints p. 188

Controversial writings like the above, which expose the hypocrisy of the modern day JW organization, showing how it has morphed into something that Russell would never have approved of, is perhaps the reason why C.T. Russel is no longer a member of the faithful and discreet slave.

Practically speaking, the JW organization secretly and posthumously makes Russell out to be an apostate - albeit a well respected apostate whom they dare not openly expose as an apostate.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Wow! Love this!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I've seen that before: love it!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

MARKED AND BUMPED!!

• cofty
    cofty

Great find Island Man thanks.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

That is indeed a classic find. I love some of the logic found in the Jw replies on the following page (discussing the quote you found):
    "I think it's over 100 years old and your grasping at straws. We are a religion that whose predominance is we are progressive. many things or ides thought to be valid 100 years ago are now not applicable. That's why non witness' always harp upon "The new Light. It's really not a good idea to use publications that old to make an argument or try to make one look foolish. We look forward not backwards.... Answer by teller of truths"
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130817095708AALOOMT

• The Quiet One
  • FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

"A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth."

That's a great C.T. Russell quote, one that most modern day JWs would agree with -- if they only knew.

That what makes "The Great Watchtower Contradiction" so effective. It exposes Watchtower by revealing the single most outrageous Watchtower contradiction that most of us (ex-JWs) have seen and that most JWs have not seen. It goes beyond the regular exposé by answering two vital questions: why they've contradicted themselves on this single issue and why most JWs are not even aware that it's happened. It does it from Watchtower's own publications and encourages the person to get their own WT Library CD for verification. It does it without arguing subjective doctrine, which, as you know is like talking to your cat. It's An 11 minute read, 19 minutes if you include all the supporting endnote references.

Len

• Splash
    Splash

"I think it's over 100 years old and your grasping at straws... It's really not a good idea to use publications that old to make an argument..."

So the questions are:

1. Since the WT also quote old publications, after how long does a Truth exceed its 'use by' date?

2. How long until todays Truths become too old, and therefore no longer Truth?

3. Gods other publication, the Bible, is old. Has this become irrelevant and superceded because of its age?

Splash

• pronomono
    pronomono

Awesome find. I just told my wife this a couple of weeks ago. Of course, it was my own thinking. Now I have a Watchtower to back me up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit