Do you recall your first encounter with a atheist? What was your thought?

by jam 25 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, it's not like they wear a sign around their neck. Not like evangelists, who will tell you more than you ever wanted to know in under ten seconds, before asking if you are "saved".

Does Wicca count? I was pretty impressed when I met my first Wiccan.

• Watkins
    Watkins

Nice to meet you, Vincent! I am an artist, too! I have one daughter and 3 grandchildren. I'm married to the love of my life(who thankfully is non-religious), and I'm an ex-jw, too. And I sincerely loathe organised religion, all of it. What religion has done "in the name of God" sickens me. See, already we have more in common than not.

I see people, not their belief systems. No, we don't wear signs around our necks... it's how we actually live our lives that reflects the kind of person we are, so getting to know/like a person doesn't depend on who or what they say they are, actions spell it out pretty plainly. Mom used to say: "Actions speak louder than words." So true, Mom, you were ALWAYS right!

If you're a kind person, compassionate and caring, and have a killer sense of humor, we will end up as friends, no matter what faith or non-faith either of us holds to - that is, IF you like me back, lol. But if a person is dark, complaining and mean-spirited, I steer clear. Religion doesn't matter except in the instance where you meet someone who LOUDLY and incessantly spouts their beliefs in order to sway or convert - arrogance, demeaning, belittling - instant turn-offs. I'm older now so don't have time for that... wish I'd had such insight when I was studying w/ jws... they are so BIG on belittling EVERYone.

To live a happy and successful life, to help others less fortunate, to love and be loved - we don't need a religon to do those things. OTOH, to be hateful, prejudicial, racist or a blathering fool doesn't need religion either, but somehow it seems to draw those types as well. I've met more 'good people' OUTside of any religion than IN them. Religion needlessly divides people and fosters hate, imo. Some feel an insulated sense of community I guess, but at what price?

So, back to topic - if this is my 'first encounter with an atheist', then my 'thought' is: you're just a person like me. You don't have 'horns', lol. We have differences, but that's what makes us, us, individuals. I would certainly like to be your friend. We're in this life together and it's all the time we have to make a little bit of difference in the world. Hope you don't think it's too sappy, but LOVE is the only difference that matters to any of us, imho.

Watkins

• jam
    jam

Thanks folks for all your comments. I'm not a full blown atheist yet.

But I most say, the atheists that I have spoken with and those who I have

read their views (you here) you are needed in this world.

One person told me atheists are tools for Satan.LOL

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

While I do not believe in the concept of god, I do not think I am cool enough to be an atheist. I have read both Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens . While I don't disagree with either, I also think both, expecially Hitchens, are arrogant assh*les.

"I've got my own stinking problems" and am very intimidated to enter a debate with those that pretend to know more than me. So, I will sit quitely and live my life as best I can. Buy me a glass of wine, and I will tell you what I think. Otherwise, I have no opinion.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

First atheist I spent time with..... I thought he was dead wrong. We went to college together.

We went on a trip to a medical school we were both applying to, I mocked and argued with him all the way there and back.....

He brings this up alot now lol lol !!!!

• friendaroonie
    friendaroonie

The first athiest I met was in the field ministry. It was the first person to ever demolish everything I said. He completely neutralized my every argument. The first thing he did was completely discredit the bible and wiyhout thst authority to claim I wss lost. I was an athiesist for many yesrs and I still think like one. Except for a psychdelic experience I hsve no proof of god and evrry line of reasoning just crumbles when you try and defend god. If you havent seen god in some sort of vision you have no business believing in it. To this dayiI have never seen a theist win an argument over god.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit