The GENERATION explanation is now a BOLD FACE LIE

by scotoma 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Quit trying to make sense out of nonsense. Just stop it!

• piztjw
    piztjw

An interesting (to me) side point about the term generation.

Previously a generation was a group of people of a certain age. For instance those old enough to know and understand the professed significance of 1914 A.D. So "this generation" that would not pass away as understood then is now mostly all dead and forgotten.

Then we had the "overlapping" generation. Now we have two groups of generations that are only one generation.

Which brings me to the point of this comment. The cross references in the "old light" Bible (NWT) took the reader to Exodus 20: 5 which spoke of fathers (one generation), sons (second generation), the third generation, and a fourth generation. The "new light" (NRNWT) has removed those cross references entirely. I firmly believe it won't be but two or three years and "new light" will reveal that "old light" understanding about 1914 was wrong, and some new date will be "evidently" the correct date for Christ's presence, even though he is still coming(?). At that time a completely new doctrine will be unveiled for the sheep.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Bobcat,

I was just pointing out that they already think they KNOW what "this generation" is. So when they find it repeated in another passage they will reference the passage as "proof" of the first. It's just never-ending circle of confusion that results from going beyon what is written.

DD

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Very good post Bobcat, I think you're spot on about Jesus in Matt 24:43 harking back to the wicked generation he mentioned in 23:36.

Paul, I don't understand why the Society is saying that those in the second group are themselves "advancing in years" when some in that group may have been quite young when they became anointed while some of the first 1914 group were still alive.

It all depends on when that first group died off, ie, what is the cut-off for overlapping? I would guess that since the Watchtower first dumped it's long held generation interpretation in 1995, that it was about then (1914 + 80 years = 1994) that they felt the first group had pretty much died off. For a long time prior to that it was more or less believed that the maximum length of the generation would be about 80 years, although I am not sure that was ever an official teaching.

So if say, there was a bunch of 35 and 40 year olds who first claimed to be anointed in 1994, they would only be 54 and 59 years old today. Mark Sanderson was born in 1965 so he is only 48, hardly "advancing in years." Can't see at all how this creates any sense of urgency. If Mark Sanderson lives to 90 in the year 2055 then theoretically the overlapping generation still exists!

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

It's a bald-face lie. Same as a bare-faced lie. No mask, no beard, no anything to hide one's true emotions, a bald-faced lie is when someone looks you straight in the eye - and lies.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

The fact is that the overlapping generation interpretation was allowing for a timeframe of ( + or -) 150 years. (75 x 2 ) . This means that many could start believeing that the end could only come around 2064. ( 1914 + 150 ).

This make the present time look less urgent and perhaps knowing that most of JWs are middle aged, many could start feeling that "the end" would not happen during their lifetime.

In this manner they assert that the second group is already old as well, making it seems that "the end" is much closer

• BU2B
    BU2B

Village Girl. You nailed it there!

• scotoma
    scotoma

Tim Hooper,

BALD-FACE BOLD-FACE BARE-FACE

All are acceptable and have associated origins.

I chose Bold-Face because it's in print. They actually printed their deception for anyone to see.

Of course considering the hair status of the majority of the Body of Governors it might be accurate to say bald-face lies.

I will now be on the look-our for one of Jehovah's pet she-bears.

That's a whole different topic. Why would Jehovah have a couple she-bears tear apart 42 kids. Were these super she-bears? Were they heat seeking she-bears?

Why didn't Jehovah just "poof" them. So dramatic. Shame on Elisha not being able to take a razzing so that he cursed them. And Jehovah with his borderline rage was quite willing to indulge Elisha.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Marked

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

I agree--I was very surprised to see that the GB are ONCE MORE painting themselves into a temporal corner. Um, hello? Didn't you guys just have a huge problem with this in the 1990's, when the "generation of 1914" completely died out? However, the rationale is simple. As has already been mentioned, this is an end-times religion that simply cannot exist without some kind of end times. So, in their very limited imagination, they are trotting out a lame-ass "new light" interpretation that makes absolutely no sense but buys them another 30 years or so at which time it will be someone else's problem.

Except for Mark Sanderson, who's young enough to still be kicking at that time.

Same-old, same-old. You'd think they could do better than this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit