An opportunity for AAWA leaders

by besty 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Everyone has their own opinions on everythng. I have read some pretty nasty posts here against the AAWA... mostly ignorant of the real goals and makings of it. I addressed it once — and figured it was misinformation.

I don't think anyone was or is against the ideals of the AAWA but there were some issues with their behavior and attitude early on which got people's backs up and caused bad feelings and mistrust. They took criticism as being an attack which wasn't constructive even though the criticism was (and they later followed the advice of it).

AAWA has a slightly different agenda, totally neutral on belief or non-belief (I'm an atheist, ex-JW).

The name was the original big issue and while it's been changed I don't think it's reasonable to say they are completely 'neutral' on belief. They are completely focused on the WatchTower which is a shame - I think more good could be done about religious persecution and religious freedom from a larger cross-denominational group.

The trouble with being WTS focus is no one else is going to be much interested in your issues to help and so you're always going to have limited appeal and effect.

"Religious Freedom" would be something everyone could be on board with and would resonate with more people both believers and no believers and could be an umbrella for both freedom of and freedom from i.e. people should have the freedom to chose and to change. Larger religions would likely support this more (less controlling, fearful of their membership).

These two sites should have some unity, no? There should be no competition, right? There is nothing wrong with questioning the AAWA nor even this site... but let's be civil aand smart about it.

Correct. It's not a competition and there is no problem questioning anything. Crisicism is often useful. I get it all the time - it means people care about and value what is going on.

We don't need to be united in the sense of all doing and saying the same thing thoug. Part of the beauty of leaving the WTS is you get you own voice and opinion on anything you want and no one should ever tell you that you shouldn't. It doesn't mean you can't be wrong, but you should have the freedom to choose.

I'm not a leader at AAWA by the way, just an active supporter. But I will gladly defend their stance if needed. I'm here. Open. Honest about who I am...

We appreciate that :)

• Glander
    Glander

There are quite a few good veteran posters who no longer post post here that had nothing to do with AAWA. Thy went over to the other site started by New Chapter when this site started nit picking and generally becoming a little dictatorship of liberal politics and low tolerance for disagreement. It was better when the owner was involved in other pursuits and left the site alone.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Thank you for kindly responding, Simon. I really appreciate it.

I just think there should be no demonizing of points of views, as long as they are respectful.

What a shame it would be if any exJW helping site used the WTS's methods of shutting one up, right?

There is room for everyone. I wanted to voice my concerns as honestly as I could. I'm still hurting too… I want to help.

That's all — I love this site, and I hope it's not a place where my POV will be banned, blocked, or deleted. That's the Borg's method.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I do appreciate the grouping of us ex-dubs. It means a lot to us all to support each other. We all have our quirks too — I will admit to that.

My real name is Vincent Deporter. I came out of the closet about 5/6 years ago... I'm a professional writer/artist, and worked with DC Comics, Nickelodeon, Simon & Schuster, Scholastic, plus many editors abroad. Google my name... you'll know more about me.
    More fame that fortune I fear! LOL!

I have only lately been vocal without a mask this past year, mostly.
    I help where I can. This site has been (and is still is) important to me, as it is to so many others.

I hope we can present a united front — all of us. We all have been hurt a varying degrees. I survived suicide by a thread... lost a LOT, as most of us do, leaving this cruel cult. All these sites have one goal, is to help exJWs. Some extend it to all cults out there; some specialize in just the WTS.
    This is a family with the same needs and interest. We can be proud of who we are. :)

• Simon
    Simon

There are quite a few good veteran posters who no longer post post here that had nothing to do with AAWA. Thy went over to the other site started by New Chapter when this site started nit picking and generally becoming a little dictatorship of liberal politics and low tolerance for disagreement. It was better when the owner was involved in other pursuits and left the site alone.

It's always fascinating how whenever there is any issue or question the same people always come out of the woodwork looking for an excuse to nitpick, criticise and basically tell me that I should just sweep the floor and not be allowed to share my own opinion. Usually it's because they have been previously restricted for repeated bad behavior or having multiple accounts and trolling or simply because I don't go along with their politics and, well, we know how bitter and retaliatory some people can be.

Sorry, but the site works much better when it's moderated and people who are insisting on stirring up issues get removed. I think the silent majority appreciate it. There's a reason this site has lasted so long and continues to grow.

• Simon
    Simon

I just think there should be no demonizing of points of views, as long as they are respectful.

What a shame it would be if any exJW helping site used the WTS's methods of shutting one up, right?

There is room for everyone. I wanted to voice my concerns as honestly as I could. I'm still hurting too… I want to help.

Exactly, we welcome different opinions but at the same time we have to protect against people who frankly just want to play games and be disruptive. I don't know why they do it but they do. They either can't get over some offence that I apparently once caused them years ago or just have nothing constructive to do with their time.

Don't be fooled into believing that people are 'silenced because they disagreed with Simon'. Plenty of people who disagree with me post on this site. What I won't put up with is people telling lies or making shit up or refusing to let things go. Seriously, there are people who have carried things on for a decade ... WTF is wrong with their heads?!!

My main focus is keeping the site on track which means not discussing itself or how it's run too much. I appreciate feedback but not insults. The site guidelines are to set the tone and expected behavior and if people don't like that then the simple answer is to go and find a site that suits them better.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Sounds reasonable to me. :)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was invited by New Chapter to her site during the time of the disputes with Shelby. It is never clear to me what is going on behind the scenes anyplace. Chilling things happened on the site. Atheists do not have any better moral compasses than believers. We are human. As much as Shelby annoyed me, she looked good compared to the behavior on the site. Do I know what happened? No, I do not want to know.

The result was that Shelby and I had an understanding. I don't want to have to know byzantine relationships before I post. For those who miss the older posters, I believe the content now is good. New people join on a regular basis. I hope my involvement lessens as I exorcise my JW demons. My purpose is to not to bring down the JWs or spend my life fighting it. I have many passions and worth while things to do. My recent move should enable me to network more.

The opposite of love is not hate but indifference. Too much focus on the WT, which cannot be changed b/c of the First Amendment, diminishes our energy for life in its fullness. Jesus Christ wanted us to have abundant life. I suggest C.S. Lewis' statement in the Screwtape Letters where he says we should not be afraid of Satan. It gives Satan power. Rather, we should mock and ignore Satan.

I suspect we are at different points on a journey, too. My leaving was quite easy.

• Fernando
    Fernando

What Besty said: "All we have seen is the controversies - it would be great to know what else is going on."

What about some good news, like success stories?

• besty
    besty

bttt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit