Help! My 14 year old has a cyber stalker and won't take it serious

by CADSkin 13 Replies latest social family

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

UPDATE?

• CADSkin
    CADSkin

Sorry I usually don't get on the computer when at home.

I don’t know how reasonable it is to take the computer and phone away completely but she has been limited. She’s grounded off of it for personal use until she finishes her report but after just a few hours of research I think the point has sunk in sufficiently enough. I see her double checking to make sure all the windows are locked before she heads off to bed. Thankfully we let her online pretty slowly with the stipulation that we always have all her passwords and receive all her history by email. That’s how we figured this out quickly.

Villagegirl: Our thoughts exactly. The only thing that put my mind at ease was the length of time the account had been active. If anyone had been taken a fake profile would send off warning bells to the FBI so if anything had happened in the past the connection would have been made. When checking through his site he was definitely grooming these poor young girls for his own perversion. Lots of 14 and 15 year olds commenting but his friends list was hidden. He probably got all of them over to the private chat. We talked with the FBI as well and the standard response was the same. We can’t do anything unless something bad happens.

Skeeter1: I think the thing that freaked her out the most was when she was looking up info on herself. Within 10 minutes with only a name, Phone # and $4 she had her own address, DOB, school, photo of her 5 years ago from the paper, picture of our house and a list of close friends and thier adresses, sisters names and ages and the schools they attend. She's now saying "I don't think I want a Facebook account"

• CADSkin
    CADSkin

Hortensia: We don't let them take the computer upstairs but the phone can access all the same things that the computer can. Our laptop is sitting on the kitchen table so they can't get in too much trouble there. She has a lot of clubs and before and after school stuff she needs her phone for so cold turkey isn't really an option. That's why I needed her to figure it out for herself how dangerous it is.

• zeb
    zeb

To all such parents of 14 yo know-alls contact the police and get them to do hard sell on the daughter complete with photos of victims who also knew it all.

I am not on face book and experiences relayed to me from the local high school indicates it is a plague on many houses.

One mum I know said to her kids when this monster came into their lives was" Would you believe every advert (Inc classifieds) you see in the newspapers?"

"The dont believe everything you see on FB"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit