Help! My 14 year old has a cyber stalker and won't take it serious

by CADSkin 13 Replies latest social family

• CADSkin
    CADSkin

So my 14 year old daughter recently has been duped into sending a “Facebook Friend” a video of her house and random crap by someone pretending to be a 17 year old in the UK. This set off major warning bells in my wife and I so we started to investigate. Although all very innocent she was obviously being played by a cyber stalker. With not much digging we figured out that he was actually in India and all the pics and info on his site are false. We were just going to ground her but instead she doesn’t get her phone back until she writes a report. I’m posting it up here so that you fine folks can add or delete to make this lesson stick. She is being all teen about it.

3 pages

Introduction

3 cases of cyber stalking from current events What where when why how

The ease of identity theft in the information age

How not to become a victim

What to look for and where not to go online

Warning bells and signs that there is something wrong with this picture

What have I learned

How to protect myself

Conclusion

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

PERHAPS YOU SHOLD NOTIFY THE LOCAL POLICE, JUST TO BE SAFE?

• CADSkin
    CADSkin

We called and there wasn't much they could do. We deactivated her Facebook and had her phone # changed since he convinced her to install some app and chat through it on her phone. She gave him her #.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

get ordered around by the kids much? i dont even have a kid but i have several ideas.

• Bella15
    Bella15

How about getting rid of the computer and phone altogether ....

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Very scary for parents these days. When my daughter was young we didn't have Facebook, but she happened to see a comedian that she knew of from TV at the mall. She gave him her phone number, but her friend knew this was a mistake and they told me about it. Can you imagine a grown man hitting on a 14 year old? And she was not me of those kids that looked more mature, she actually looked more like 12, if that. (She was asked of she was a child when going to the movies at 27, they thought she was under 12). So the creep actually had the nerve to call the house, I wouldn't let him talk to her, so he cursed at me. He still sent her something in the mail. I used to see his name in the credits of a comedy from the nineties, I always wondered how many kids he hit on as he went around the country to the comedy clubs. Pervert.

So I can only imagine what kind of creeps are on the internet now. I think your punishment is right on, let her find out how stupid she was. I would be very hesitant to give her a smart phone again or access to a computer when you are not there. If he was in India, hopefully it was just a phishing scam, he was probably after money, not her. But there are plenty of creeps who live where you do, she would have given him enough info to find her.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I think it's important to teach her to be wary and wise. This is something she will take with her throughout her life. My teenage child's friend befrended a boy, supposedly 2 years older then her. Same story as yours. Boys that are two years older, do not want a girl two years younger. There's a first tip-off.

At the same time, i would parent her, but parent her reaonably. First, I would limit her computer & phone time to less then an hour a day. How much time does she have on it now? She needs to be out doing a sport, hobby, reading, and homework. Take away her computer and phone at bedtime. Nothing good happens after bedtime. And, I would put a keystroke recorder on her computer. That way, you know her sites and passwords. Becuase faster than you can ban a site, they will create a new name and/or go to a new site.

And, yes, call the police. Stealing teenaged girls is big business. They are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. There is major child slave trafficking here in the US. If she were to get into some middle-eastern countries, there is a huge sex slave trade there. The mafia and gangs are getting into this. She needs to understand why she can NEVER post her real address or a picture of herself or her house.

Skeeter

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Weird, I looked up the person who hit on my 14 year old daughter (back in the nineties) , he shot himself in the head in 2004.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Creepy stuff. Why are teenagers more likely to believe a total stranger than their own parents? It's part of being a teen, I suppose, but it's so dangerous. I like the idea of no phone or computer after bedtime. No phone or computer in the kid's bedroom at all.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

This person could be in contact with someone in your area

who breaks into houses. Get serious with this child, I mean

take charge and tell her she is putting her whole family at risk.

Tell her some real life horror stories, she is one of those teenagers

who are "fearless" and those are the types who get lured away

and killed. Get serious get a policeman to talk to her if necessary,

where is her father in all this ? Oh, I see, you ARE her father ??

WAKE UP dude. Check the statistics on missing children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit