Cause and effect...

by msconcerned 7 Replies latest jw friends

• msconcerned
    msconcerned

Its been going on for years but tonight it really hit home. I HAVE to drink after my meeting, its the only thing that calms my nerves. The things said tonight made me distort my face so much the brother saw me during the highlights and obviously wantedto say something to me from the stage. so he asks to turn to a scripture at the very end of the highlights reads it and stares at me while he explains it. how sad half the reason i drink is going to meetings. it bugs me to no end, does anyone else feel like this.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

What was so distressing, at this meeting, that caused you to make a face? I can totally relate to your feelings!

• adamah
    adamah

msconcerned said-

Its been going on for years but tonight it really hit home. I HAVE to drink after my meeting, its the only thing that calms my nerves.

The first step is admitting you have a problem, and it looks like you just took that all-important first step.

It's now time to place yourself ahead of others, and seeking out the help you need and deserve.

Adam

• msconcerned
    msconcerned

FW it was the love that is so prevalent in our org. i actually think i made a noise too.

• prologos
    prologos

are there other occasions WHEN YOU JUST HAVE TO DRINK? to calm youself, and how long does that calming last?

have you thought about having people that understand you, listen to you, like AL-- Anonimous?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I used to have to take valium after the tms/service meeting in the last 6 months there. Couldn't sleep otherwise. It's hard not to get wound or hyped up and sucks cuz it's a week nite n most normal people have to work next day. Its different to having a night class on a week night cuz you feel satisfied and sleepy after a class but the school, no way, you're on eggs because of all the forced association n stress of it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A whole bunch of us young JW's always went down the Pub after the Meeting. This continued until I was in my thirties or forties.

I think it was partly the Meetings that brought on a terrible thirst that only a Gallon of beer would slake, bit I think a lot of it was we all enjoyed each others company without the restraint of straight-laced JW's around, only the cool ones came down the Pub.

The best remedy to the problem is get out of the religion. I have since found some wonderful drinking mates, not one of them ever a JW.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The best remedy to the problem is get out of the religion.

Yep, obviously. Barring that, the second-best remedy is to stop caring. Just let your mind wander. Or think about the bigger picture and don't worry too much about this paltry religion's place in the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit