1970 Awake Chastises Catholic Church For Its "New Light"

by Justitia Themis 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I'm not sure if anyone has previously posted this, but I found it interesting.

*** g70 4/22 8-10 Changes That Disturb People ***
    Changes That Disturb People

THE churches are in rapid decline. Even in the United States, where religion still enjoys perhaps the greatest popularity, nearly three out of four persons polled said that it is losing influence. Why is there this decline in religion?
    One of the reasons is that people are disturbed by what is happening in their churches. Yes, millions of persons have been shocked to learn that things they were taught as being vital for salvation are now considered by their church to be wrong. Have you, too, felt discouragement, or even despair, because of what is happening in your church? A businessman in Medellín, Colombia, expressed the effect the changes have had on many.
    “Tell me,” he asked, “how can I have confidence in anything? How can I believe in the Bible, in God, or have faith? Just ten years ago we Catholics had the absolute truth, we put all our faith in this. Now the pope and our priests are telling us this is not the way to believe any more, but we are to believe ‘new things.’ How do I know the ‘new things’ will be the truth in five years?”
    What are some of these changes that disturb people?

Should Meat Be Eaten on Friday?
    FOR centuries Catholics abstained from eating meat on Fridays. It was a Church law. Many sincerely believed it was a law of Almighty God. But now this has changed.
    The fact is that the meatless-Friday rule was made an obligation only some 1,100 years ago. Pope Nicholas I (858-867) was the one who put it into effect. And how vital was it considered that Catholics abide by this rule?
    A publication that bears the Catholic imprimatur, indicating approval, states: “The Catholic Church says that it is a mortal sin for a Catholic to eat meat on Friday knowingly and wilfully, without a sufficiently grave and excusing reason.” It adds: The “Church says that if a man dies in unrepented mortal sin, he will go to hell.”—Radio Replies, Rumble and Carty (1938).
    Thus the devout carefully avoided eating meat on Fridays. They sincerely believed that failure to obey could lead to their eternal punishment in a fiery hell.
    But then, early in 1966, Pope Paul VI authorized local Church officials to modify this abstinence requirement in their countries as they saw fit. The pope was acting in line with recommendations made at the recently completed Second Vatican Council. Thus, in one country after another, meatless Fridays were virtually abolished—in France, Canada, Italy, Mexico, the United States, and so on.

The Effect
    The effect upon many devout Catholics has been devastating. “All these years I thought it was a sin to eat meat,” explained a housewife in the midwestern United States. “Now I suddenly find out it isn’t a sin. That’s hard to understand.”
    If you are a Catholic, can you understand how a practice that was considered by the Church a “mortal sin” can suddenly be approved? if it was a sin five years ago, why is it not today? Many Catholics cannot understand.
    When a woman in Canada was asked how she felt about the changes in her church, she replied: “I don’t know. Maybe you can tell me. What are they going to do with all those people sent to hell for eating meat on Friday?”
    Not just a few Catholics have asked such questions. The change in teaching has shaken their confidence in the Church. Would you not feel the same way if what you had always been taught to be vital for salvation was suddenly considered unnecessary? Would you not be inclined to question other teachings of your church also?
    The Catholic Church, however, has not completely changed its position on Friday meat abstinence. Even now Catholics are still required to abstain from eating meat on “Good Friday.” Also, in some places they must not eat meat on Fridays during the Lenten season.
    But why is it considered wrong to eat meat on “Good Friday,” but permissible to do so on other Fridays of the year? It has caused thinking persons to wonder.
    Many persons have begun to ask questions regarding the basis for this teaching, as well as about other Church teachings. And what especially disturbs them is that they have not received satisfying answers.

What Becomes Evident

The inability of the Church to explain its position Scripturally makes evident an important fact: The Catholic Church has not based its teachings upon what God’s Word says. Rather, it has founded many of its beliefs and practices on the unstable traditions of men.
    This is obviously true with regard to Friday meat abstinence. For, look as you may, nowhere in the Bible will you find that Christians were ever instructed to refrain from eating meat on any Friday of the year, or on any other day. It is not a requirement of God. In fact, the Catholic edition of the Revised Standard Version Bible says that enjoining or commanding “abstinence from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving” is an evidence of a departure from the faith.—1 Tim. 4:1-4.
    Thus, many truth-seekers are having their eyes opened to see that the Catholic Church has not been holding strictly to God’s Word. And they are wondering whether any religion that does not do so is worthy of their confidence and support.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Condemned by their own words.

• carla
    carla

Here's another one by the wt

Awake! Aug 22, 1984- "The Catholic Church occupies a very significant position in the world and claims to be the way of salvation for hudnreds of millions of people. Any organization that assumes that position should be willing to submit to scrutiny and criticism."

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

Wow, thanks for posting justitia, im marking this for future ammo in case it's necessary...

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The Watchtower has placed far too many petards over the years to be able to keep track of them, and probably been hoist by about half of them as time has gone on. I like the one about how we should all be free to choose our own religion.

• cofty
    cofty

Very good argument JT

This is the sort of thing that would work well on JWFacts as well, it's a real eye-catching quote.

• ADJUSTMENTS
    ADJUSTMENTS

Nice!

• leaving_quietly
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They had aother bash at them in the 1984 April Fools Day WT

Page 23

At the beginning of 1973 I subscribed to a number of religious magazines, including some that criticized the Roman Catholic Church and its teachings. Now certain inconsistencies became ever more evident to me. For example, at one time eating meat on Friday was forbidden. When this church teaching was changed, I thought: ‘According to that teaching, those who ate meat on Friday committed a mortal sin. For a mortal sin, one can be punished with hellfire—an irreversible punishment. But if in hell there are some who did not repent for eating meat on Friday, what will they think now?’

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Thanks...I attempted to reason with my wife on the need for a revised NWT when the current version is supposed to be the best translation ever...and I asked her why some verses were now rendered back to the same wording found in other versions? Johnb17; 3 being an example. Her reaction was that she didn't like my tone of voice while asking the question...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit