Since most JW's HATE giving talks and doing meeting parts, why does the Watchtower Society still require it?

by yadda yadda 2 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The number one fear of the American public is ... public speaking:

It is not the fear of dying, nor is it the fear of heights or flying, and rule out the fear of creepy, crawling critters. It is the fear of public speaking and glossophobia is the technical label. For the many who have the affliction, there is intense anxiety at the mere thought of having to speak in front of any sized group. When the comedian Jerry Seinfeld heard about this fear, he quipped, “In other words, at a funeral, the average person would rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy.”

DONNA PINTER, PHD Published: October 2, 2011, newsitem.com

• blondie
    blondie

The TMS was started in 1943 to train baptized brothers to develop and give public talks. It was not until 1959 that women were added to ostensibly train them in the door to door and bible study work. Note that preaching & teaching door to door was not a priority for brothers.

When my mother was baptized, jws were developing 7 scripture sermons to use at the door!!! and had a long-time jw assigned to them to train them.

Today, brothers are given a developed outline that they must follow (only 30 minutes now to squeeze things in). Sisters script their talks telling their assigned helper (householder) what to say, as if jws hand a script to the householder.

The WTS wants to maintain the illusion that jws are bible savvy.

I went to a congregation where I was the only elder's wife in the school...the rest passed it on by without and repercussions.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I was just thinking about this the other day, and I was wondering how any of the preparation and stress amounted to any sort of benefit in field service.

I remember my last talk very vividly. After I got back to my seat, the elder ripped my talk to shreds infront of everyone. (this was the time they still gave "counsel".) Shortly after I went to the elders and removed my self from the "school". I did not even know I could so that and it was a HUGE relief for me since I suffered terribly from anxiety of giving talks.

(How does working on "gestures" HELP AT ALL in the ministry? Hey, look at me....I am talking at the door out in service holding a magazine in one had and moving my other hand in a circle at the same time !)

My only thought of why they still do this practice is to fill time in the meeting since the content is so bland that they have to break it up to keep peoples attention.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Well I think a few things.

1) I think less people hate it than you may think. In fact, even though alot of guys are nervous, many of them enjoy giving parts, and like the attention one receives. Honestly it doesn't take much to impress. Alot of the women in the hall look at it as their chance to actually do something on the meeting. So 90% seems like a bit much. Maybe 50/50? Don't underestimate the allure of "progress" and the adulation that comes with being a man on stage in particular.

2) The part about dissonance earlier in the thread is dead on. When you make people go through something, it bonds them and makes it seem better. As a nervous child remember how relived you were when it was over? Then you go our for pie or something? These reinforce what they want to reinforce. I will say this......being forced to give talks and go out in the ministry sure did make it easy on me in job interviews and in public speaking. My most recent school overseer was the worst speaker in the hall. Also, consider that the ministry school is an order mill for possible future talent.

• adamah
    adamah

Why on earth do the Watchtower overlords continue to foist this horrible suffering on the poor brainwashed sheeple?

I thought it was all about regular mandatory training for an all-volunteer unpaid sales force to be more effective at sales, learning techniques that are effective for recruiting other members to increase the size of the sales force?

Thinks of meetings as sales team training and pep rallies to fire up and motivate the troops as a team-building exercise, and you're uncomfortably close to the "Truth".

Adam

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I believe the TMS was introduced primarily to be able to substantiate the claim that JW were qualified to be ministers. In 1943 they were desperately trying to get the draft boards to accept that claim. Especially for Bethelites, as the TMS was started at first just for them. I first came to this conclusion reading the WAlsh case, where they spec ifically testified that the TMS was minister training.

draft

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

Let's assume the Governing Body and any or most others taking a leadership roll in the Organization believe that it is truly God's Organization.

They believe Matthew 28:19,20 applies literally and exclusively to all Jehovah's Witnesses.

They believe anything outside of the Organization is ultimately influenced by "the ruler of the authority of the air" (Eph 2:2).

Naturally, they believe they need to educate JW's to do this preaching, to improve and be effective, to educate men to eventually be able to take the lead in different areas. Where else will they get this education?

From the outside looking in, we can see that these are tactics related to controlling the mind. But from within, they see controlling the mind with the teachings of God, which of course only they have correct, as a good thing.

Since I believe those involved with the religion think it is truly God's Organization, as most of us did at one time, they see the efforts to control their thoughts as a good thing, as a protection.

Even Steve Hassan said in his book that mind control is used all of the time, sometimes for good too, we use it to try and change our own bad habits, we us it to keep our kids busy and hopefully out of trouble.

• brainmelt
    brainmelt

I always hated how being in the ministry school was linked to how `spiritual` a member of the congregation was perceived to be. I hated giving sisters talks, it was always so fake and unrealistic. I gave up the MS after having my first child. They make it out like it's a privilege but it's really just to keep cog member's busy.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I never had a problem with doing meeting parts and giving talks; I actually enjoyed it and always do it effortlessly, albeit nowadays I have to avoid touching certain topics where my beliefs aren't 'orthodox'. Going on the door-to-door witnessing has always been challenging to me, though.

Eden

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...............................................................................I gave a Talk..And..

..............................................................................My Life Still Sucks..

............................................................................................................................ photo mutley-ani1.gif.....OUTLAWU...TLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit