Favorite scripture in your present journey

by Separation of Powers 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

So, if you haven't become an atheist yet and still hold on to some form of Christian based/Bible based faith. Tell us one scripture that defines where you are at right now in your spiritual journey...

• jgnat
    jgnat

There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. - Ecclesiastes 2:24 (KJV)

There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink and find enjoyment* in his hard work. - Ecclesiastes 2:24 (NNWT) ;)

*Or "cause his soul to see good."

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

From Psalms 146:3.. "Do not put your trust in nobles, nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs..." (NWT)

3 "Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation." (new NWT)

• Apostating
    Apostating

Before i became an atheist Galatians 5:1 was in my head while leaving the WT

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

I'd say a combination of Isa 43:10, Psa 83:18, and Matt 24:14.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

SFPW,

So you like Isaiah 43:10? Why do you believe all the WT Corporation hype(leaps in logic) about its application to the currant JW moniker?

I'm an atheist, but here are some of my favs:

Song of Solomon 8:8

We have a little sister, and her breasts are not yet grown. What shall we do for our sister on the day she is spoken for?

Ezekiel 23:19,20

19 "Yet she multiplied her harlotries, remembering the days of her youth, when she played the harlot in the land of Egypt. 20 "She lusted after their paramours, whose flesh is like the flesh of donkeys and whose issue is like the issue of horses. 21 "Thus you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when the Egyptians handled your bosom because of the breasts of your youth.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

@ frankiespeakin- Awesome! In a sophormoric adolescent kind of way. Kinda like when my buddy gave the Your Youth talk "Growing into womanhood" Funny!

@SFPW I am surprised by your selections, I would have thought that with your experience in the organization that you could have provided something much more profound than the scriptures that the young ones memorize.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Sorry, I realized I didn't include my selection:

John 5:39, the words of Jesus to the Jewish rulers,

"You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me."

This is a wonderful scripture for the pharisaical among believers. As I have said before, if you ask any JW, "Where is Charles Taze Russel right now?" They will say, "Heaven."

"How could he be in heaven if he didn't believe 99% of what you believe because of all the new light?"

"Because God judged his heart condition."

SO there it is!

SOP

• DS211
    DS211

I love the way SFTW combunes scriptures, reminds me of how things are takeN out of context to apply to whatever you want. ;-)

my favorites as of late are

15 For you did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but you received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: “Abba, Father!”

11 But I tell you that many from east and west will come and recline at the table with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the Kingdom of the heavens;

• crossquestions6995
    crossquestions6995

Mark 16:17, 18 "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

I have been striving to be able to do this because I have learned to take a very literal aproach to the bible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit