Conjuring Uo Our Own Gods

by startingover 38 Replies latest jw friends

• truman
  • startingover
    startingover

Thanks Truman. It's amazing because I never heard of tulpas before this morning.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I had never heard of tulpas either, it's fascinating, the human mind never ceases to amaze me. I actually had a tulpa years ago, I just didn't know that's what it was. As part of a meditation exercise, I was trying to visualize a wise being that would give me advice. I visualized Oprah Winfrey for some reason. I did not actually believe it was her of course, but this construct helped me come up with ideas on how to handle certain situations. I was aware that I was giving advice to myself, but the visualization of another being did seem to help me come up with better ideas.

I have always been puzzled by people who seem to feel God or some other being is talking to them, so this explains a lot.

Hmmmm, maybe it's time to consult with Oprah again......

• tec
    tec

I saw this thread earlier today, but did not open it. I am not offended by the article at all (though I have no idea what might have been cleaned up and such in the thread itself, lol)... it is interesting that some are searching so hard for explanation. Searching everywhere except Christ, mind you.

I must first thank you Rip ... this was truly just and kind of you. I mean, I am well aware of who 'certain posters' are, lol, but I just want to say thank you for fighting so hard to make sure that 'certain posters' are not being treated bad or unfairly.

Second, the article itself and the subject are interesting. Reminded me some of writers (and I suppose songwriters and artists as well) who are pretty protective of their 'muses'... whatever/whoever these muses might be, and sometimes those muses have "taken on" a personality of their own, with emotions, including anger. I am also a writer, but I personally never had a muse... never even heard of it until I went to my first writers convention, as other writers described theirs. Anyway, the idea behind the article reminded me a bit of that. I am not convinced that the article explains all that a writer might call a muse... but I was reminded of that nonetheless.

I had inspiration for my writing, which I turned into books... but never something like the above.

Side note that I wanted to comment upon: the article mentioned the possible reason that people are leaving religion as being that some religion is impersonal.... this may be true to a point, because an impersonal god is not the Truth and some cannot remain in a lie... but in truth people are leaving religion because Christ is calling them OUT of religion... and to Him... and He is personal. I know that people come up with the theory that people are just progressing past the religious stage of evolution... but He actually IS calling people out of religion, and they are hearing, and following. There is nothing happening that He did not forewarn (or that He does not forewarn still). But I understand that the false prophets and false christs and liars and such... have tainted the truth for some, so that they cannot hear it without associating it with the lie that men created around it.

As to applying this article to the voice of Christ, well there are some details that are not addressed.

First, I do not meditate. Can't. When I have tried to hear more clearly by meditating... I got nothing. There may be some members of the Body of Christ who meditate... but none that I personally know.

{One does have to listen carefully ... but this is because there are so many other 'voices' trying to shout over Him (man, religion, various false teachings and fear, etc), and those voices are quite loud, whereas my Lord speaks quietly (for the most part). Not because he does not come unless 'conjured' (for lack of a better word)}

There is also one big detail that has been overlooked by some here, and perhaps also the writer of the article.

My Lord speaks the same message to all of His Body... teaching and speaking to them the same things. Evne though they have never met in person. Even though they do not even live in the same countries. Even though they might not have lived in the same time, for that matter. Yet we hear the SAME things from Him. One time that does come to mind is having heard something from my Lord... something new... and a sister in Christ phoned me at some point that day to tell me what she had received from Him, and it was the same as He had told me. That has happened too often to be dismissed.

Not that I need the proof. I know Him and His voice. But some of you are searching, and so I offer that as something for you to consider during your search. (Which search would be much easier if you looked to Christ and asked Him to help you understand. But we, mankind, often have to take the hard road to arrive at something He would give us for free.) Because someone's invented 'tulpa' would not be speaking to someone else entirely, and certainly not speaking to them the exact same thing.

And finally... Band... no one ever thought you or anyone else were lesser beings than those who heard. Except perhaps you, yourself. That was always your perception... but it is not the truth.

Peace,

tammy

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

My Lord speaks the same message to all of His Body... teaching and speaking to them the same things. Evne though they have never met in person. Even though they do not even live in the same countries. Even though they might not have lived in the same time, for that matter. Yet we hear the SAME things from Him. One time that does come to mind is having heard something from my Lord... something new... and a sister in Christ phoned me at some point that day to tell me what she had received from Him, and it was the same as He had told me. That has happened too often to be dismissed.

tec,

just for conversation's sake, is it possible to 'hear' the same message from apparentely two different originating sources? or must the message come from one source alone?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's some related articles.

Suggesting Mindfulness: Awakening the Hypnotist Within - this article compares hypnosis with mindfulness.

Mindfulness and Christianity - this blog discusses a Christian's attempt to incorporate mindfulness in to her prayer life.

• tec
    tec

just for conversation's sake, is it possible to 'hear' the same message from apparentely two different originating sources? or must the message come from one source alone?

Possibly, I guess. If it were truth, two different sources might recognize truth. (though the actual source of the message then is... truth)

Peace,

tammy

• Twitch
    Twitch

My Lord speaks the same message to all of His Body... teaching and speaking to them the same things. Evne though they have never met in person. Even though they do not even live in the same countries. Even though they might not have lived in the same time, for that matter. Yet we hear the SAME things from Him.

If all christians hear the same things, then why are there so many sects of christianity?

One time that does come to mind is having heard something from my Lord... something new... and a sister in Christ phoned me at some point that day to tell me what she had received from Him, and it was the same as He had told me. That has happened too often to be dismissed.

Confirmation bias. What of the christians who disagree with what you hear or have different beliefs/interpretations?

• tec
    tec

If all christians hear the same things, then why are there so many sects of christianity?

Couple of reasons:

Not all who claim to BE christian ARE christian.

Not that many who claim to be christians claim to hear Christ... but rather they hear and accept and believe as their leaders teach them. You won't find a jw who does not believe the wts is God's chosen organization. I don't think you will find a Catholic (RCC) who doesn't think that Christ's words (upon this rock I will build my church) refer to anything other than Peter being the head of the church and the first pope. You won't find many mainstream christians who do not accept the trinity... but did they learn that from Christ Himself, or from those who TEACH the trinity?

Then there are also those who will take Christ's words... in print or in spirit... and run with them, applying meaning that He, Himself, did not apply, and spreading rumors that some might even build an entirely new sect around. Like taking what He said to Peter at the end of the book of John.

"If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? Youmust follow me."

Because of this the rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, "if I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?"

(He is speaking about Lazarus here; though his name is not used. Lazarus is the one who was raised from the dead by Christ, and that is why the brothers questioned 'what about him?')

Confirmation bias. What of the christians who disagree with what you hear or have different beliefs/interpretations?

Has nothing to do with confirmation bias. (this thread is confirmation bias for some who want to believe that hearing Christ is a result of something else) It just happened.

As for those who disagree... see above.

Our personal beliefs and interpretations do not matter. What CHRIST teaches is the Truth... not what we personally intepret.

Peace,

tammy

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hannah Whitall Smith was the darling of the Holiness movement in the US and the UK, and her writings are still in print. Except for the part where she became a Christian universalist. All was in harmony until it wasn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit